Jeff Patterson's J-PAT SPEC Rifles

Just like everyone has different goals in shooting, the way we look at our rifles is different too.
I started looking at them just as tools to achieve an end. Nothing wrong with that, but after some years I felt a closer "liaison" is missing for my full shooting enjoyment.
Then I started preparing my rifles according to my style and asking my gunsmiths finish colours also to my taste.
For some time now, all my rifles have a name, a name that borns after shooting them and understanding their personality. The names, of course, are not repeatable, and some times they must find another home to continue theirs life.
This way I enjoy much more the road of shooting.

Never had or shot a SPEC, but the way I care about mines they are my SPECS...

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to handle one of the SPEC rifles. But this makes more sense now. I do love the jewelling and the paint jobs. Nothing wrong with a gun looking good. Thanks for taking the time to explain your statement.

Have you built any guns for customers? Or do you just work on your own?

Geoff

Geoff,

I'm not a gunsmith. So, I don't have customers. I'm a hobbyist that builds RFBR rifles for my own amusement.

I end up building two or three rifles a year. These rifles are built with the very best components. Sometimes I use these builds to test different theories.

For the last four years I've built at least one V 1 Turbo, and one V 3 Turbo. The objective has been to find if the three lug has an advantage over the two lug actions. Like so many of my test I still can't see an advantage one way or the other. But something interesting happened last spring.

Anthony Di Orio came out with a modification to the V 3 actions. This modification was aimed at keeping proper ignition to support the crescent shaped firing pins while easing bolt lift. Ease of bolt lift was one of the advantages that two lug actions has over three lug actions.

I shot my test rifle with this mod all summer and I feel it does in fact ease bolt lift slightly and it has not required any changes to the ignition all summer. This mod does not improve accuracy but does make the action easier to operate.

At this point it is a mute subject. Anthony has adopted this mod for all future Turbo V 3 actions. As a result, I'm dropping the Turbo V 1s and only building V 3s this winter.

Obviously, I can't keep all these rifles, so I do sell them on when I'm finished testing them.

TKH

PSPEC 6 Waltzing Matilda:

I just read on Calfee's site the following:

The torch has also been passed Down Under with PSPEC 6 Waltzing Matilda now in the very capable hands of Scott Kiddle.
Has anyone heard anything from Bill Collaros about why Waltzing Matilda changed hands so soon after landing down under? In July he had posted on Rimfire Accuracy, "...had a few podium finishes at my last few comps and starting to bond well with it."

Has anyone heard anything from Bill Collaros about why Waltzing Matilda changed hands so soon after landing down under? In July he had posted on Rimfire Accuracy, "...had a few podium finishes at my last few comps and starting to bond well with it."
"it is time for me to change tack in life from next year and Matilda needs to be in the hands of a current champion..."

Either he got a big offer or reality did not meet expectations, either or both.

Thanks... I hope it's just a change of priorities.
This quote is copied from a post Mr. Kiddle made on Calfee's site. It sounds to me Mr. Kiddle plans to use PSPEC 6 to further his already impressive shooting career.

"A little about me I’m from a small town south of Melbourne in Australia, I’ve been competing in benchrest matches since 2011
I’ve represented Australia at the wrabf world events on 3 occasions, lucky enough to have won a team bronze medal in hv
I’ve won national and state titles here in Australia, many club championships
My aspersions are to keep on shooting at the top level and to continue to represent Australia, when the offer came up to take on Matilda I didn’t think twice as I know the work that goes into the spec rifles but also to keep her going for my dear friend bill Collaros. "

TKH

How about i explain. 1st of all Matilda exceeded expectations for me and is now doing that for my mate Scotty. No it was not about money or a massive offer. As i posted from later next year i am re prioritizing life and business. I had an amazing 15 years captaining Australia to 5 world championship campaigns and heading up the Wrabf as President for 8 years whilst also being an Eley ambassador. It is now getting to the time in our life where I need to travel with my wife rather than with rifles while we still can. Matilda and The Croc are too good to sit in a safe and i am sure u will see some big wins and things in the near future from Scotty... Hope that makes sense and stops any rumors' or keyboard warriors in their tracks. As Mr Calfee said i will always be Waltzing Matilda and The Croc but i am also very comfortable in my decisions 🎯🇦🇺🏆 Tony i do thank you for trying to answer people and also keeping the masses up to date on these amazing rifles.

Attachments

• 20230524_060440.jpg
    20230524_060440.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I've always felt a little bad for both the owners & gunsmiths of some of these much talked about rifles, Spec rifles & others, if they've under performed. The expectations are in my mind are unrealistically high.
Any of us that have been at it a while know there are too many variables in rimfire to ALWAYS finish on top. whether winning or not.
Its nice to see them occasionally though.

Beautiful target. The thing that stands out for me is how clean the holes are, looks like what you see on a air rifle target with wadcutter pellets.

Beautiful target. The thing that stands out for me is how clean the holes are, looks like what you see on a air rifle target with wadcutter pellets.
John,

The holes were made with Eley Red box. They must be getting lots over there that we don't often see here.

TKH

What target is that and what would the measurement of the bull be from edge to edge of the thick black ring?

Tony

What target is that and what would the measurement of the bull be from edge to edge of the thick black ring?

Tony
I those are the international targets I believe. Looking at the bullet holes and looking at the target that 10 ring can’t be any bigger than our IR 50/50 target. Maybe someone will let us know the actual numbers.
TKH

Wrabf Target guys just the Aussie Version so yes like your IR 50 card Eley Tenex all the way. That is how Matilda was specifically built for me.

I’d like to get the shots into OnTarget to plot them all out so I need to get a known distance somewhere on the card to plot things. Can be anything on the target so the scale can be set. This looks like an amazing target and an OnTarget plot should be spectacular.

Tony

I’d like to get the shots into OnTarget to plot them all out so I need to get a known distance somewhere on the card to plot things. Can be anything on the target so the scale can be set. This looks like an amazing target and an OnTarget plot should be spectacular.

Tony
If I'm not mistaken the 10 ring is .250". The 9 ring is .500". The 8 ring is .750"

Back