Jeff Patterson's J-PAT SPEC Rifles

Where are these guns now and how are they shooting? Just curious if owners have found the right ammo and have them all tuned up and shooting good.

Where are these guns now and how are they shooting? Just curious if owners have found the right ammo and have them all tuned up and shooting good.
Gjmen22, a brief update. A lot has changed since I first started tracking the owners and release of the Spec rifles. A few have already been sold to new owners, some are still in the hands of the original owners. I believe Jeff is working on Spec-P11, but I'm not sure about the status on the Spec-P10. I see them from time to time when I attend matches, but I am not aware that any are really killing it at this time. In fact, I had planned to have Jeff make Spec-P9 for me, but after shooting this season in ARA, I felt it would be wiser to use that money to find ammo that shoots well in the two rifles I already have. The rifles I have are shooting well enough for me to win a match, but I have yet to have developed the skills to do so. So, I canceled my order with Jeff, and have been pursuing ammo to assure I have enough to shoot next season. Jeff has a few more to finish, and I expect he might be done by spring 2024 with the last of the 13 he planned to build. They are very good rifles and Jeff is a fantastic gunsmith and a great person as well. I'm sure in a few seasons, the owners who have stuck with their rifles will have the chance to compete on the big stage at the National Matches (Indoor and Outdoor). Stay tuned...

I shoot against one quite often and it does ok. It's like everything in this sport it needs good ammo. It's a shame this game will die cause of the ammo situation. I'm about over it after 10+ years of chasing ammo. Even if Jeff builds the absolute best guns on the planet they all require killer ammo to shine. We're all in the same boat

I shoot against one quite often and it does ok. It's like everything in this sport it needs good ammo. It's a shame this game will die cause of the ammo situation. I'm about over it after 10+ years of chasing ammo. Even if Jeff builds the absolute best guns on the planet they all require killer ammo to shine. We're all in the same boat
I wouldn’t worry too much about RFBR dying anytime soon. We have more matches and more shooters than ever.
TKH

I wouldn’t worry too much about RFBR dying anytime soon. We have more matches and more shooters than ever.
TKH
Tony you'd be 100% wrong! There are a lot of good shooters dropping off like flies. Unlimited numbers are not going up and the average age is 60+ . Younger shooters are not picking up rimfire benchrest and eventually the older guys will all go one way or another. I know of at least a few top shooters are moving on. The ammo situation has reached a drastic problem and the availability of great lots has been cut by 2/3 with new disciplines coming online. I've been at this long enough to know when something is in trouble. You can stay blind and oblivious to what's really happening. Sam

Tony you'd be 100% wrong! There are a lot of good shooters dropping off like flies. Unlimited numbers are not going up and the average age is 60+ . Younger shooters are not picking up rimfire benchrest and eventually the older guys will all go one way or another. I know of at least a few top shooters are moving on. The ammo situation has reached a drastic problem and the availability of great lots has been cut by 2/3 with new disciplines coming online. I've been at this long enough to know when something is in trouble. You can stay blind and oblivious to what's really happening. Sam
Sam just check the numbers. They speak for themself. Don’t just check the traditional sanctioned unlimited matches. Things are changing and moving into new directions. We here in Pa. have had more matches and better attendance this year than we have had in the past 5 or more years. Look at all the new ranges opening up particularly in Ohio. Some of the traditional places are dying off but new ones in different areas with different shooters are replacing them.
This old can’t get ammo thing has been said by tired shooters forever. We all shoot what we can get.
TKH

Sam just check the numbers. They speak for themself. Don’t just check the traditional sanctioned unlimited matches. Things are changing and moving into new directions. We here in Pa. have had more matches and better attendance this year than we have had in the past 5 or more years. Look at all the new ranges opening up particularly in Ohio. Some of the traditional places are dying off but new ones in different areas with different shooters are replacing them.
This old can’t get ammo thing has been said by tired shooters forever. We all shoot what we can get.
TKH
I agree with Tony. Looking back at just the ARA National Tournament:

2020 - UNL - 100/Factory - 9
2021 - UNL - 102/Factory - 26
2022 - UNL - 124/Factory - 37
2023 - UNL - 125/Factory - 38

Not an explosion, but a steady increase of shooters at the National Tourney.

Also, if you need ammo, it's available, you just have to know where to look...

Sam just check the numbers. They speak for themself. Don’t just check the traditional sanctioned unlimited matches.
TKH
I agree with Tony. Looking back at just the ARA National Tournament.
Yep, and kind of yep, on both of the above.

Tony is correct. See below.
Larry is almost correct, but didn't look at the correct data. Nationals will never really tell the whole story. So many people that shoot sanctioned around the country have really no desire to travel, or entertain matches outside of their domain. There are far less shooters that want to try the big stage as opposed to those just wanting to shoot local. In ARA, A-line tells the story as far as participation numbers. No one shooting ARA, UL or Factory, is excluded from either A-line. Those numbers tell the real story in both classes. IR is more difficult to track, so I will leave that out. It also has, for the most part, a smaller 'club rich' region than ARA. ARA, as far as sanctioned RFBR in the USA, is the best ruler to measure participation in sanctioned RFBR.

So, since I started shooting sanctioned in 2016 (ARA UL), I will give some more revealing numbers from that point to present.
2016 Outdoor UL A-line 663
2017 Outdoor UL A-line 682
2018 Outdoor UL A-line 693
2019 Outdoor UL A-line 741
2020 Outdoor UL A-line 633......this was a heavy Covid year
Outdoor Factory A-line 309.....first year of Factory
2021 Outdoor UL A-line 759
Outdoor Factory A-line 573
2022 Outdoor UL A-line 918
Outdoor Factory A-line 820
2023.....as of today
Outdoor UL A-line 991
Outdoor Factory A-line 1098
Except for one year of a global pandemic, the numbers of those that participated have increased every year except the big Covid year, where all kinds of businesses and hobbies suffered. After that, the numbers have skyrocketed since. Much faster than the previous years I have been involved in. These are factual numbers showing grassroots participation. Also showing a steadily increasing participation in the game.

Scott

I hate to tell you but I've been at this game long enough to know there isn't ammo to find. You guys can show any amount of numbers you want to. I know there are a lot of shooters leaving cause of the ammo problem. It's not going to get any better either. Eley hasn't been competitive in almost 6 years and lapuas quality is starting to suffer. It's not a made up problem, it is real. The test tunnels are not the best way to find good ammo. Stay oblivious its funny

I would l to purchase some test lots of Midas +. Where should I look?

Participation is definitely up according to the numbers above. ARA Factory class has certainly help grow the hobby. But should one look at the number of people shooting targets, or the amount of targets being shot? If you look at the 2023 unl A-Line, I bet there are at least 150-200 shooters that shot 4 targets or less. Does this mean they tried it and didn't care for it? I hope this isn't the case. Will they be back in 2024 to shoot more often? I hope so. I think there is 6-7 more years of good numbers. But I look at the age of most shooters, and I don't see them shooting 10 years from now. I don't see many younger shooters. The younger crowd seems to like the NRL and PRS type shooting.

Ammo situation... yeah, it's a pain in the butt. I get it. Personally, I will shoot the local clubs even if I have not so ideal ammo. I enjoy the people as much as I do the shooting. I may not drive 8-10 hours to shoot not so ideal ammo, but I would certainly not stop shooting the local places. Local to me is within 2 hours of home. I guess some will just not shoot if they cant win or have a chance to win. Buy and swap with friends, don't give up. It's out there, just need to look.

Ohio news... Here in Ohio we now have 2 more clubs for a total of 12 clubs for the 2024 season. Will this keep numbers down at some clubs? Will this hurt the revenue at the already established clubs? I hope not. But chances are if it's closer to home, some may not travel and just shoot the club that is closer. Will this introduce more into the hobby if they have a place close by? I guess time will tell.

Geoff

I would l to purchase some test lots of Midas +. Where should I look?
I'm not aware of anybody selling test lots anymore. When you find some, most folks buy a case and try it. If it does not shoot well, then sell it on-line. No worry about loss of $$ since it's in such high demand. You'll get your money back. If a case is too much money, then maybe find a friend or two to go in with you to split the cost. Then, call the Lapua distributors, get on their backorder list for Midas/Center-X.

Also, call the test center in Marengo, Oh or Mesa, AZ and schedule some test time. You can screen lots there by testing, and pick the lot that shoots best in your rifles. One case per person, regardless of how many rifles you may test. I travel to Marengo (about a 7 hour drive) and test in person, and have been successful evertime I have gone. They will have Midas and Center-X for testing, so you should be able to test 10-12 lots combined. Long lead time to get scheduled, but as they say, if you're not on the list, they won't call you.

Check any local retail places at least once a month, to see when they may get some in as well. Also, consider some SK or RWS ammo to bridge the gap until you find some of the Center-X or Midas. Availability of SK is likely higher than Center-X and Midas. Watch the Forums as sometimes, folks will sell their ammo on-line. Timing is key since so many folks want some. First come, first served, as they say.

A few other places to check on-line:
- Graf and Sons
- Budsgunshop
- Anschutz North America
- Killough Shooting Sports (Eley)
- Champions Choice, Inc.
- Bullet Central

Good luck!

Here is some real data from Dawn:

All numbers are on track to beat previous years. The October numbers are based on figures October 12.

match entriesmatchesTargets shot# Clubs
as of 10/12/2023

# Targets Shot in CompetitionTotal
2021 Factory -ACTUAL14772
2021 Unlimited - ACTUAL29243
2022 Factory -ACTUAL19565
2022 Unlimited - ACTUAL31046
2023 Factory -ACTUAL25550as of 10/12/2023
2023 Unlimited - ACTUAL26852

In addition, there have been 250,000 targets sold this year. My guess is lots of them are being used for unregistered matches. It looks like the sport is growing, especially Factory.

PSPEC 6 Waltzing Matilda:

I just read on Calfee's site the following:

The torch has also been passed Down Under with PSPEC 6 Waltzing Matilda now in the very capable hands of Scott Kiddle. Scotty is a current Team Oz shooter and a good friend of mine, i wish him well on his journey with this amazing rifle. 🇦🇺🎯🙏🏆

As we have seen in the past these rifles move among shooters from time to time. Sometimes the new owner takes these rifles to new levels. It will be interesting following Scotty and PSPEC 6.

The SPEC series of rifles both Calfee's and Jeff's are kind of a different animal from regular RFBR target rifles.

Rifles have a long tradition of being utilitarian and artful works displaying a certain amount of decoration.

I can just image the guy with a DGR double rifle didn't worry a lot about the artwork on his rifle when he was being charged by an angry lion.
Probably appreciated it a lot more when he was sitting around the campfire after surviving the event.

When you win with a SPEC rifle, I bet cleaning it after a match is not so much work. Just look at Waltzing Matilda.

TKH

Last edited:
Mr. Harper, by no means am I trying to take away anything from Mr. Calfee or Mr. Patterson, I know both have built outstanding rifles. Both how they look and perform. But can you go a little more in depth of your statement...
"The SPEC series of rifles both Calfee's and Jeff's are kind of a different animal from regular RFBR target rifles" I know every gunsmith has their way and secret sauce. Just want to know your thoughts on what makes them a different animal.

Geoff

Mr. Harper, by no means am I trying to take away anything from Mr. Calfee or Mr. Patterson, I know both have built outstanding rifles. Both how they look and perform. But can you go a little more in depth of your statement...
"The SPEC series of rifles both Calfee's and Jeff's are kind of a different animal from regular RFBR target rifles" I know every gunsmith has their way and secret sauce. Just want to know your thoughts on what makes them a different animal.

Geoff
Geoff,

Have you had the opportunity to handle one of the SPEC rifles? Have you been able to shoot one?

If the answer is no, then it will be hard for you to understand what I'm about to tell you.

The difference is in the fit, finish, and attention to detail put into the overall rifle.

As you may know I've owned and shot a number of Calfee Turbos. They all have been great rifles and I've been lucky enough to win some big matches with them. As well as they perform, they do not have the fit and finish of the SPEC rifles that Bill and Jeff achieve with their SPEC series rifles. Mine have had the fit in the areas that count for performance, but not the finish for overall appeal.

It is a mistake to think everyone that fits barrels to actions puts in the same amount of attention to detail. I would hazard a guess that Bill and Jeff spend more time just doing the jewelling on the actions than most other smiths spend with an entire rifle.

Does that jewelling make the rifle shoot any better? No, of course not, but it does indicate just how much the maker was willing to put into the overall build.

Many say they don't care what a rifle looks like as long as it performs. That is OK, but there are some that want all the quality (fit and finish) that can be put into a build. That is the market that the SPEC series of rifles hope to fill. That is also why they make Fords and Mercedes. They will both get you there, well most of the time.

TKH

Last edited:
Geoff,

Have you had the opportunity to handle one of the SPEC rifles? Have you been able to shoot one?

If the answer is no, then it will be hard for you to understand what I'm about to tell you.

The difference is in the fit, finish, and attention to detail put into the overall rifle.

As you may know I've owned and shot a number of Calfee Turbos. They all have been great rifles and I've been lucky enough to win some big matches with them. As well as they perform, they do not have the fit and finish of the SPEC rifles that Bill and Jeff achieve with their SPEC series rifles. Mine have had the fit in the areas that count for performance, but not the finish for overall appeal.

It is a mistake to think everyone that fits barrels to actions puts in the same amount of attention to detail. I would hazard a guess that Bill and Jeff spend more time just doing the jewelling on the actions than most other smiths spend with an entire rifle.

Does that jewelling make the rifle shoot any better? No, of course not, but it does indicate just how much the maker was willing to put into the overall build.

Many say they don't care what a rifle looks like as long as it performs. That is OK, but there are some that want all the quality (fit and finish) that can be put into a build. That is the market that the SPEC series of rifles hope to fill. That is also why they make Fords and Mercedes. They will both get you there, well most of the time.

TKH
Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to handle one of the SPEC rifles. But this makes more sense now. I do love the jewelling and the paint jobs. Nothing wrong with a gun looking good. Thanks for taking the time to explain your statement.

Have you built any guns for customers? Or do you just work on your own?

Geoff

Back