Jeff Patterson's J-PAT SPEC Rifles

tonykharper

I have recently learned that Jeff Pattereson is going to limit the number of J-PAT SPEC rifles to 13. That is right only 13 of these rifles will be built.

The sad news is all but one has already been sold.

Listed below is the current list of J-PAT SPEC rifles:

SPEC 1. Robert Oates "Primevil"

SPEC 2. Charles King (AKA BUBKING) Name: TBD

SPEC 3. Larry Parsons: Name TBD

SPEC 4. Anthony Wright: Name TBD

SPEC 5. Mike Sherill: Name TBD

SPEC 6. Bill Collaros "Waltzing Matilda"

SPEC 7. Brian Stehlik: Name TBD

SPEC 8. Brian Stehlik: Name TBD

SPEC 9. Larry Mills: "Tombstone"

SPEC 10. Not announced "The Virginian"

SPEC 11. Norm Flynn "Red River"

SPEC 12. Brian Brandt: Name TBD

SPEC 13. Still available as I write this.

As most know, these rifles are, and will be, very special competition rifles.

They will all have a distinctive look with the actions being Jeweled (engine turned) and their SPEC number on the side of the action.

Only the best components will be used and they will be handcrafted with great attention to detail.

It remains to be seen if they will achieve lasting notoriety as Calfee SPEC rifles have but it will be interesting to see.

The only J-PAT SPEC rifle delivered to date is Primevil to Robert Oates.

That is the run down as I know it. I would like to keep track of these rifles and to document their performance in competition.

If anyone has additional information please post it here.

TKH (4628).

UPDATE: SPEC 13 has been ordered by Dennis Cronin. He has not picked a name for the rifle yet.

All J-PAT SPEC rifles are now sold.

TKH (4628)

.Robert picking up Primevil at J-PATs.jpg JPat Spec 1 Primevil Action.jpg JPat Spec J1 Primevil2.jpg

Last edited:
I have recently learned that Jeff Pattereson is going to limit the number of J-PAT SPEC rifles to 13. That is right only 13 of these rifles will be built.

The sad news is all but one has already been sold.

Listed below is the current list of J-PAT SPEC rifles:

SPEC 1. Robert Oates "Primevil"

SPEC 2. Charles King (AKA BUBKING) Name: TBD

SPEC 3. Larry Parsons: Name TBD

SPEC 4. Anthony Wright: Name TBD

SPEC 5. Mike Sherill: Name TBD

SPEC 6. Bill Collaros "Waltzing Matilda"

SPEC 7. Brian Stehlik: Name TBD

SPEC 8 Brian Stehlik: Name TBD

SPEC 9. Larry Mills: "Tombstone"

SPEC 10. Not announced "The Virginian"

SPEC 11. Norm Flynn "Red River"

SPEC 12. Brian Brandt: Name TBD

SPEC 13. Still available as I write this.

As most know, these rifles are, and will be, very special competition rifles.

They will all have a distinctive look with the actions being Jeweled (engine turned) and their SPEC number on the side of the action.

Only the best components will be used and they will be handcrafted with great attention to detail.

It remains to be seen if they will achieve lasting notoriety as Calfee SPEC rifles have but it will be interesting to see.

The only J-PAT SPEC rifle delivered to date is Primevil to Robert Oates.

That is the run down as I know it. I would like to keep track of these rifles and to document their performance in competition.

If anyone has additional information please post it here.

TKH

It was bit of a surprise Robert was not in attendance at the recent IR50/50 indoor nationals. If for no other reason than to show off his new shooting stick.
Robert usually attends.

I wonder is mine the only one that will be living overseas ?

Bill,
All others on the list are in the U.S. so unless someone not from the U.S. gets SPEC 13 yours will be the only one leaving.
I’m glad to see you on the list because I know you will be able to showcase the rifle as it deserves.

TKH

That did not take long!

Well, that certainly didn't take long.

SPEC 13 has been ordered by Dennis Cronin. He has not picked a name for the rifle yet

All 13 J-PAT SPEC rifles are now sold.

Now it's up the Jeff to work his magic.

TKH (4628).

Last edited:
pretty quick

Tony,
I wonder if all the Calfee SPEC rifles were spoken for in the same short amount of time, that JPats were ? Or was Calfee's done over a course of years ?

Tony,
I wonder if all the Calfee SPEC rifles were spoken for in the same short amount of time, that JPats were ? Or was Calfee's done over a course of years ?

As I remember it very few people even knew there was such a thing as a Calfee SPEC rifle.

At the time (2008-2009) I was trying to get Calfee to build me a rifle. It took a very long time just to get in direct contact with him.

He didn't answer his phone nor did he return letters. At this time he was turning out about a rifle a week and really didn't want additional orders.

The SPEC rifle thing just kind of happened all at once, it was born out of what Bill had been calling his project rifles.

Jim Pepper coined the term "Calfee SPEC rifles" and Bill ran with it. He started calling the rifles he completely built SPEC rifles. Then all of a sudden they were no more.

Tony Blosser had the last order in for SPEC 10, The Virginian but it was never built. I can't go into the reasons, but it wasn't because Bill didn't want to build it.

There were only seven Calfee SPEC rifles built. One would think there was a hundred of them from how well they are known around the world.

It will be interesting to follow the J-PAT SPEC rifles. They may take us to a new level.

TKH (4628).

J-PAT SPEC Rifle UPDATE

SPEC 1. Robert Oates (USA): "Primevil"
- Delivered 11/2021

SPEC 2. Larry Parsons (USA): "High Table"
- Action blueprint and barrel prep complete, initial testing underway @01/2022

SPEC 3. Larry Parsons (USA): "Against the Wind"

SPEC 4. Anthony Wright (USA): Name TBD

SPEC 5. Mike Sherill (USA): Name TBD

SPEC 6. Bill Collaros (AUS): "Waltzing Matilda"

SPEC 7. Brian Stehlik (USA): Name TBD

SPEC 8. Brian Stehlik (USA): Name TBD

SPEC 9. Larry Mills (USA): "Tombstone"

SPEC 10. Not announced (USA): "The Virginian"

SPEC 11. Norm Flynn (USA): "Red River"

SPEC 12. Brian Brandt (USA): Name TBD

SPEC 13. Denny Cronin (USA): Name TBD[/QUOTE]

TKH (4628)

Last edited:
Tony, it might be nice to keep this thread as a sticky note (similar to the Calfee rifle thread), so you have the details since the first Spec was produced. We can update as Jeff proceeds with assembly of the remaining rifles in this set.

Just a thought...

Larry

Tony, it might be nice to keep this thread as a sticky note (similar to the Calfee rifle thread), so you have the details since the first Spec was produced. We can update as Jeff proceeds with assembly of the remaining rifles in this set.

Just a thought...

Larry

I would like to see it as a sticky too, but I think it has to be rated with 5 stars and have a bunch of views.

Maybe it will make it in the future.

TKH (4628)

What is a J-PAT SPEC Rifle?

Since only one of these rifles has been delivered (Primevil) we only know what Jeff used to build it.

I'm guessing Jeff will use pretty much use the same components for the other 12 J-PAT SPEC rifles.

The action is a three lug Turbo V-3. These actions come with the crescent shaped firing pin.

Many doubt the crescent pin is worth having. I've spent a lot of time on that, and I can't say for certain there is anything gained from it.

Here is a picture of pin strikes. Notice the crescent pins hits a much larger portion of the rim than the chisel pin.

In theory that should increase the odds of striking a place certain to ignite the powder. Leading to more consistent ignition. Again, I can't prove that makes a difference.

cresent vs chisel.jpg

The action has also been blue printed.

When I say "blue printed" that may not be an accurate term. While it is true some things in the action have been modified,

and many things have been checked, that in itself doesn't equal true "blue printing".

I think it more accurate to call this "action tuning".

The barrel is a Muller. I believe it to be an 8 groove. I don't know if Jeff will use Muller's on all the J-PAT SPEC rifles. But he may.

The trigger is a Flavio Fare whisper Trigger.

The tuner is a traditional Harrel's, and the stock is a full fill Mc Millen.

Optics are the choice of the owner, but it is a good bet that it will be Nightforce or Kahales.

That is the package as I know it. If you know of differences, please post them here.

TKH (4628)

Last edited:
Since only one of these rifles has been delivered (Primevil) we only know what Jeff used to build it.

I'm guessing Jeff will use pretty much use the same components for the other 12 J-PAT SPEC rifles.

The action is a three lug Turbo V-3. These actions come with the crescent shaped firing pin.

Many doubt the crescent pin is worth having. I've spent a lot of time on that, and I can't say for certain there is anything gained from it.

Here is a picture of pin strikes. Notice the crescent pins hits a much larger portion of the rim than the chisel pin.

In theory that should increase the odds of striking a place certain to ignite the powder. Leading to more consistent ignition. Again, I can't prove that makes a difference.

View attachment 25213

The action has also been blue printed.

When I say "blue printed" that may not be an accurate term. While it is true some things in the action have been modified,

and many things have been checked, that in itself doesn't equal true "blue printing".

I think it more accurate to call this action "tuning".

The barrel is a Muller. I believe it to be an 8 groove. I don't know if Jeff will use Muller's on all the J-PAT SPEC rifles. But he may.

The tuner is a traditional Harrel's, and the stock is a full fill Mc Millen.

Optics are the choice of the owner, but it is a good bet that it will be Nightforce or Kahales.

That is the package as I know it. If you know of differences, please post them here.

TKH (4628)

Tony, from the post that JP did on another site, here's Primevil's details:
- V3 with Crescent firing pin
- FF Whisper 2 trigger
- Muller 8 groove barrel
- McMillan full fiberglass stock
- Harrell's tuner

Larry

Tony, from the post that JP did on another site, here's Primevil's details:
- V3 with Crescent firing pin
- FF Whisper 2 trigger
- Muller 8 groove barrel
- McMillan full fiberglass stock
- Harrell's tuner

Larry

Larry,

That is what I have also. I just forgot the Flavio Fare Whisper trigger.

Thanks for reminding me.

TKH (4628)

Breaking News

The J-Pat SPEC rifle build/delivery schedule has changed.

J-PAT SPEC 3 to be named Perfect Storm and will now go to Denny Cronin.

Larry Parsons will have J-PAT SPEC 13.

If you recall Calfee SPEC 13 was Carolina Gold originally owned by DJ Hepler.

Rumor has it that Larry Parsons has bought the original Calfee SPEC 13 Carolina Gold.

Wonder if he plans to name the J-PAT SPEC 13 Carolina Gold as well.

I cannot confirm that is the plan at this time, but I'll keep you posted.

TKH (4628)

J-PAT SPEC 2 Ready for delivery

Breaking News......

High Table, J-PAT SPEC 2, is ready for delivery.

This rifle is owned by Larry Parsons. The name High Table is taken from the movie series John Wick.

High Table was the organization that ordered the hit on John Wick. Some bad dudes for sure.

I doubt it, but it is possible that High Table may show up in Louisiana next weekend.

Testing has gone well, but I don't think good ammo has been found for it yet.

It all takes time, but it is exciting to see a new build come online.

TKH (4628)

High Table.jpg

Last edited:
What to do?

Larry Parsons has a problem.

Larry owns Paladin.

Paladin in black - Copy (4).jpg

This year Larry used Paladin to set a new ARA A-Line record. Won many big matches and has made the Paladin a well-known name in big time RFBR.

Larry also owns J-Pat SPEC 2 High Table.

High Table 2.jpg

Larry has the problem of deciding which of these rifles he will use this coming shooting season.

I think that is a problem we would all like to have.

TKH (4628)

Last edited:
Back