Benchrest History Thread

I'd definitely be interested in copies Butch if it isn't too much trouble. Masker contributed greatly to this sport of ours. They'd be a wonderful read.

Thanks,

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Masker was, literally, one of a kind. Often when he came to shoot at Camillus, he showed up in his big wood paneled station wagon that had a custom fabricated roof rack that he did up to look like about a 6’ long artillery shell. Said he only got stopped maybe once or twice by the state police.
His son Jerry still comes up for our IBS match.
Almost had him build my first real BR gun but I’m right down the road from Harts and Clyde convinced me this “PPC thing “ might be a passing fad and built me a 6x47 on a sleeved 600. Thing drove me nuts for years.

Last edited:
Android online training

An Android phone is a powerful, high-tech smartphone that runs on the Android operating system (OS) developed by Google and is used by a variety of mobile phone manufacturers.
Android online training

I was going through a filing cabinet that belonged to my grandfather over the weekend and it was like opening a time capsule. Among the many first edition loading manuals, P.O Ackley cartridge manuals, and file folders containing targets shot over the years I found several articles saved. One that stood out to me was an article on benchrest Shooting from 1966. I found it to be very interested and apparently so did he as he highlighted many portions. Finding all this reminds me, were it not for the things and history he left behind I wouldn’t be were I am today. I would not have been able to take part in such a great sport and meet all of the wonderful people I have especially at the age of 20. I hope this can inspire others to take part in the sport and be a part of the rich history that we share.

Sometimes I wonder how many of us will be around when I get to the general age of competitors...

Attachments

• C7506837-5EE9-4152-B51B-D33C0F567AE4.jpeg
    C7506837-5EE9-4152-B51B-D33C0F567AE4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 811
  • 206213AB-5E90-400B-8755-069F202E00AE.jpeg
    206213AB-5E90-400B-8755-069F202E00AE.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 711
  • 40BE279A-C0A2-4480-8F45-0DE8AA2246BA.jpeg
    40BE279A-C0A2-4480-8F45-0DE8AA2246BA.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 649
  • E816DCC1-59AC-4987-AE59-7ABF69F9AA6B.jpeg
    E816DCC1-59AC-4987-AE59-7ABF69F9AA6B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 700
Last edited:
I was going through a filing cabinet that belonged to my grandfather over the weekend and it was like opening a time capsule....One that stood out to me was an article on benchrest Shooting from 1966. I found it to be very interested and apparently so did he as he highlighted many portions.

Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed reading your grandfather's highlights. I didn't see much ear protection in those pictures. :)

Thanks for sharing; I enjoyed reading your grandfather's highlights. I didn't see much ear protection in those pictures. :)

I clearly remember reading this article. It was in the American Rifleman magazine. I was 23 at the time and just about to graduate from college. I had always loved to shoot, and had a Rem 722 in 222 by the time I was 18.

It was 1969 before I finally found BR shooting in my area, and was hooked. I shot a Cruiser in UNL with the first action I ever made. I came in dead last but I was hooked. I've made 10 more actions since that first one.

I eventually got to know L.E. Wilson, we called him Sam.
In 1970 he invited me up to his shop for the full tour. The highlight was his loading/shooting room. He actually had a 100yd tunnel out of the loading room to test just about anything he was interested in; barrels, bullets rifles and so on.

Sam passed in 1984, but still holds a special place in my memory. Around 1971, at a match at the old Issaquah range, out of the blue Sam walks up to me, looks me straight in the eye and says "Al Weber's stuff is for sale down in California, a good man would go down and buy it", turned and walked away. At first I wasn't sure what he meant until it dawned on me, he meant me. I was really humbled.

Here I am 50 years later still hooked on BR.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Boom!

Bob Pease sure was a "good guy" but he'd give you the business if you wanted something goofy....and rightfully so. I've got those same bound "articles" that Dave has but I think I only have three of them.

I still have some of Bob's tools and all his books. I was on the receiving end of one of Bob's tirades when I mentioned that I was going to get a synthetic stock with a glued in action. He had an instant explosive angry response. I never figured out why he hated those so much. I almost didn't go into benchrest because of it. Over the years I met several other "crusty" characters in the sport who would belittle you or get angry if you did not hold the same opinion as them. Thankfully they all died out and the present shooters are as nice a bunch as you could hope for. Then there is Coots. He does have a few quirks such as his fondness for 4 footed, woolly ungulates but otherwise is fairly normal for an extraterrestrial.

Sam walks up to me, looks me straight in the eye and says "Al Weber's stuff is for sale down in California, a good man would go down and buy it", turned and walked away. At first I wasn't sure what he meant until it dawned on me, he meant me.

I just saw your post from three months ago -- so, did you go and buy it?

I just saw an old post of mine telling Lee Martin that I would send him letters from Seeley Masker. I had to email him to see if I forgot. I'm waiting to hear back.

I just saw your post from three months ago -- so, did you go and buy it?

Hunter,

Nope didn't buy Weber's stuff. Probably should have, but didn't have the $$ to pull if off. I was in my 4th year of teaching high school metal shop, and was not making a whole lot of $$ at the time.

It was 1984 before I finally got a lathe and a milling machine, and a place to use them.

I guess now I am the senior BR guy here in the NW region. Most all the guys I started with and learned from are gone. I especially miss Manley Oakley and Allen Bench among many others.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Seeley Masker

I just saw an old post of mine telling Lee Martin that I would send him letters from Seeley Masker. I had to email him to see if I forgot. I'm waiting to hear back.

After reading several articles written by Seeley Masker, I can honestly say " he is someone I would have enjoyed talking to ". Did he ever write any books?

i believe bill brawand has one., or used to several years ago.
i still have mine made by bob admoviz one of the first on xp 100 action made in a foundry in a oven at high degre sleeve and rings and bases all one piece.i beleive he was the only one to win the 4 gun natls with shootig his lv, in every class with this sleeve.

i still have mine made by bob admoviz one of the first on xp 100 action made in a foundry in a oven at high degre sleeve and rings and bases all one piece.i beleive he was the only one to win the 4 gun natls with shootig his lv, in every class with this sleeve.
i believe he beat gary ocock at harts range the early 80sw.

Back