Benchrest History Thread

Lee Martin

If Wilbur doesn't mind, I thought I'd start a thread highlighting benchrest's history (old photos, ads, articles, etc). I have a lot material, as I'm sure others do. For the guys that lived through those years it'll bring back memories. For newcomers like myself it'll connect us to the sport's foundation.

Incidentally, this post was just going to be "40 years with the PPC". But I thought perhaps we could expand it:

40 years ago this past summer the PPC was announced. I thought some of you may enjoy seeing the original PS article again. This is from the July 1975 issue:

And here's Ferris' ad in the August 1975 edition of Precision Shooting:

The first ad Ferris and Lou ran for Sako PPC brass. This was from late 1976:

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

1962 Tulsa Nationals Top 20

Back row (left to right) – Henry Barton, Bob Hart, Bill Coleman, Dempsey Frost, Ed Shilen, Barbara Shellert, Ralph Stolle

Middle row (left to right) – Horace Powers, George Hendrick, Clyde Yockey, Bruno Borosewski, George McMullen, Omer Rinehart, Robert Smith

Front row (left to right) – Rick Hornbeck, Robert Stultz, Homer Culver, George Kelbly, Paul Gottschall, William Schellert

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

WOW Thanks.. Back in 1970 I thought my Rem 788 22-250 was the most accurate. I suppose it was right out of the box.
Bill

History

Thanks Lee, That is some good stuff. I think Ed Shilen,in the back row in that photo, may still be shooting benchrest. incredible.

"When a Sport stops teaching its heritage,it loses its identity."

Glenn

Ann Brummel sent these files....

Files attached:

Attachments

• 1970 International PostalResuts for Australia.pdf
    365.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 1970 International PostalResults for USA.pdf
    373.3 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 1970 Internationa PostalPreamble.pdf
    403.9 KB · Views: 1,012
Pretty neat Wilbur. The 1970-USA sheet illustrates the popularity of the 6 x 47. I guess it had its day from the late 60's until the PPC came on the scene. Never worked with one myself but I heard they were tricky to tune. But once you got 'em shooting....

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

this is the kind of thread that needs its on forum section........

would love it if everyone with pictures and info of "the past" would post on here. all the past results of nationals, super shoots, ect....... heck even regional matches that took place. also equipment list from each one, thats what i like seeing most of all. i have a list of every match results (except maybe 1 or 2) that i have been too (dating back to 1999).
anyway thanks for the posts so far, real interesting.

scott

I had a Remington, 40XBR, 6X47. Didn't compete with it and ended up trading it for some pistols. It would shoot good enough to win one day and lousy the next. I never shot competition with it but rather looking back at the group measurements, it was a pretty good rifle. I think that was the general consensus all said and done - shoot good one day and miserable the next. I found 300 Malsby (I think it was) bullets at a hardware store. Didn't know at the time what they were and they shot lights out. Pretty sure those bullets and that rifle were the ultimately the cause of this forum.

Sadly, I drove 75 miles to Knoxville with that 6X47 and some worn out cases to shoot the nationals. Don't remember what else I had in the trunk but it wasn't NEARLY enough to shoot. The range gate was locked and they had some heavy equipment that was tearing everything up. I walked up to a couple of guys there and asked where the nationals were and they said...not here! OK - so much for the info in PS magazine! I looked all over Knoxville that same day for Jef Fowler and finally found him in a new looking building on a road under heavy construction. Jef treated me like I had two heads but sold me some Watson bullets...500 68gr and 500 70gr. I think that's all he had in the whole place but maybe didn't see something that was hidden behind an invisible wall. I finally forgave him for the 70gr bullets but maybe I just forgot rather than forgave. I've often wondered....why did Ed Watson make those 70gr bullets???

And...who was that fellow that brought Benchrest shooting back to Knoxville for a couple of years. Was a really nice fellow that had a jealous wife (and rightfully so)! Doug something...I think...maybe not...

also equipment list from each one, thats what i like seeing most of all.

Wapwallopen 1972, heavy bench results. By the early 70's that class was losing ground quick to the varmint ranks.

The equipment lists weren't as detailed back then. Common cartridges, in both heavy bench and varmint, included the 222, 222 1/2, 23-40 (223 Rem 40 deg), 22-,35, 40 &, 45 (222 Rem Mag, 35, 40, or 45 deg), 6 x 47, and even a few .308s and Wasps.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

1976 Nationals at Austin,TX

DSC00034.jpg
[/URL]

DSC00049.jpg
[/URL]

DSC00048.jpg
[/URL]

Glenn

At that match where heavy rains had washed away a portion of the firing line in the week or weekend before the match. Still have a copy of those results kicking around somewhere.

DSC00034.jpg
[/URL]

DSC00049.jpg
[/URL]

DSC00048.jpg
[/URL]

Glenn

Glenn,

Is there another page to the Heavy Varmint equipment list? If you have it, could you post a picture of it. I may own a rifle shot in that match, but I don't see the shooter's name on the pictured list.

Thanks,
Justin

Back