Benchrest History Thread

Butch Lambert was kind enough to send me some old NBRSA rule books. As most of you know, I collect any and all history related to our sport.

The 1972 edition is of particular interest to me....it was the year I was born. Butch also sent a few other neat pieces I'll be posting soon.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Y'all sure this ain't a photo of Twin Oaks range in Dublin,Ga,home of The Shamrock,circa 1999-2000? Looks like our original 10 bench firing line!

WOW Thanks.. Back in 1970 I thought my Rem 788 22-250 was the most accurate. I suppose it was right out of the box.
Bill

I believe McCracken bullets were under ten cents apiece back then and I bought Sierras for about 6.50 a box. I still have some Winchester match bullets from around 1980 which cost me 5.60 per hundred. Given inflation, I guess things are not that bad now! Regards, Bill

For history's sake ...

For history's sake, Clarence Detsch called me to pick him a one-and-only reamer in Johnstown NY, this was 1974. I was to received it from a man from Bronells (a heavy set man I remember) … I received it wrapped up in a light oil rag inside of a brown small bag. I brought it home and took it over to Clarence when he unwrapped it he told me it was a one an only PPC reamer, 6 MM. He later chambered me a barrel for this reamer for bringing it home to him.
Sometime later Clarence let me read a letter from Pawlack of experimental work that they were doing with the PPC and his answer was the most accurate bullet for PPC was 61 grain.

I put this in just for history. Bill

Bob Pease Accuracy Collection

I bought quite a bit of stuff from Bob when I started out accuracy shooting.
Later
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_151804853.jpg
    IMG_20190320_151804853.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 520
I bought quite a bit of stuff from Bob when I started out accuracy shooting.
Later
Dave

Back in the day Bob was doing or have them made- The Poor Man's PPC. I sent him a new 700 in 22-250 and he had it chambered in 22BR. It had a very nice bedding job in the original wood stock. I still have my info from shooting it at the local range. Bob was a good guy to deal with.

Dan Dowling

The one and only built my first custom rifle in 1989, a 22-250 improved Tn chamber. I ended up turning brass for 3 of 4 pd rifles. He gave me the business for going with a tn chamber for shooting dogs. Trued Rem700, Hart bbl, mc Millan stock. Shot good. 55gr Sierra's at 4064 fps without any pressure. He built me 3 more pd guns before I got this disease. I have a 22br also Butch. They're a great caliber.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Bob Pease sure was a "good guy" but he'd give you the business if you wanted something goofy....and rightfully so. I've got those same bound "articles" that Dave has but I think I only have three of them.

Last edited:
Lee, I may have the letters that Seely Masker sent to me when he was building my first real BR rifle. I can send them to you if you like.

Back