Wipeout

Maybe watch that video again Lou doesn’t use a 2 piece aluminum rod! I have watched him clean using that process in his loading trailer!
My barrel has minimally invasive rifling. No way am I going to spin a bronze brush on an electric drill in it. (n) I want the brush to follow the grooves as I push it down the barrel and not rake across the top of the lands by spinning it in an electric drill. Sounds like a recipe for disaster in a M.I. barrel.

Last edited:
Maybe watch that video again Lou doesn’t use a 2 piece aluminum rod! I have watched him clean using that process in his loading trailer!
you are more concerned of the rod than the drill ??? really!. he uses a steel one pc rod. which do you think is harder on the bbl...and oh by the way i said scrub the THROAT...not the whole bbl...

Lou’s methods of cleaning have not affected the barrel or throat, and this was proven when he sent the barrels back to the manufactures, to check for damage! He has far more knowledge and investment in the Benchrest area than most . He must know what he is doing otherwise Berger Bullets would not have chosen him to do all of the testing for the Berger Reloading manual.
Perhaps if you spend more time reading about what Lou has done for the benchrest community rather than criticizing his cleaning methods you might learn something.

Lou’s methods of cleaning have not affected the barrel or throat, and this was proven when he sent the barrels back to the manufactures, to check for damage! He has far more knowledge and investment in the Benchrest area than most . He must know what he is doing otherwise Berger Bullets would not have chosen him to do all of the testing for the Berger Reloading manual.
Perhaps if you spend more time reading about what Lou has done for the benchrest community rather than criticizing his cleaning methods you might learn something.
and to be clear he aint talking about me. i shoot with lou all the time and since he is a MARCH dealer, i have bought from him also.. it is a free country do as you please, but if you post bogus info expect someone will point it out

What part of my information was bogus? Everything I posted was accurate, and at least I am courteous enough to provide my name, and if you shoot with Lou, that’s great, so why don’t you take up your concerns with him!

Without delving into drills and spinning brushes, I admit that I use good quality bronze brushes. Nylon, IMHO, is pretty useless in this application and I believe is actually more, not less, prone to cause damage than bronze because it's softer and more likely to embed hard particulates that MAY dame a bbl. I do not believe that either, if used properly and clean, will hurt a bbl.

To me, the whole idea of a brush is to score and expose carbon to the many cleaners out there that we use...mostly to good effect.

I do believe that any brush that is embedded with debris, might cause damage. But no,. I have never seen a clean bronze bristle brush do any damage to a semi-hard stainless nor chrome moly bbl. That's just my experience and why I choose to do what I do. As always, YMMV and do what works for you. No need to argue over any of it.

Nothing but quality  looped bronze brushes used here, regardless of the solvent. And while a carbon ring is certainly something to look for and address, I'm not so sure it's as big a deal as many make it out to be...either in how it forms or taking it out. A factory barrelled 220 Swift many years ago was a good teacher for managing hard carbon buildup.

Common sense...an increasing rare commodity...usually takes us 90% of the way. It's  such a '50s and '60s concept. ;)

Good shootin' -Al

Kroil (creeping oil) works pretty well on the carbon ring buildup. Soak the throat area, let it sit overnight if possible. Then push it out. Simple. Used it for years with good results. Carbon ring buildup can affect accuracy, especially in smaller calibers. The most noticeable is 22LR and tight chamber 22s.
I use nylon brushes and cotton patches with Wipeout because the chemicals attack/remove copper (brass, etc.). You may also get a 'blue' false positive with brass. Many folks use Butch's Bore Shine with great results. If you have not Shilen's "How clean is clean?" information, it's worth a look. I agree with his take.

Nothing but quality  looped bronze brushes used here, regardless of the solvent. And while a carbon ring is certainly something to look for and address, I'm not so sure it's as big a deal as many make it out to be...either in how it forms or taking it out. A factory barrelled 220 Swift many years ago was a good teacher for managing hard carbon buildup.

Common sense...an increasing rare commodity...usually takes us 90% of the way. It's  such a '50s and '60s concept. ;)

Good shootin' -Al
yes al, the common sense part is what is lacking most of the time

Most people don't do long, thorough testing with bore chemicals because it's a boring, mundane subject. I am also surprised to still see how many people don't borescope. I can tell you this from cleaning barrels since the early 90's, that quite a few chemicals out there will produce a colored pack from a BRAND NEW never fired barrel. It's simply a reaction. True, they will produce a dark patch if there's junk in the barrel, but some of them, you could patch for a YEAR STRAIGHT and they will never come out pure white. (note I'm saying some not all)
And the whole 'no bronze bore brushes in my bores' myth has been put away a loooooooooooong time ago. Bronze brushes do not wear out bores plain and simple. If you've over-cleaned a barrel and ruined it with a bronze brush, you would have ruined it with a plastic brush like an iosso as well. Most people will tell you they use bore guides, but most own them and only occasionally use them. A lot of people still use steel rods. That will wear stuff out way more than a bronze brush ever will.
99.9% of people don't do weapons maintenance DIRECTLY after shooting. They just dont. If you say I'm wrong I will never believe you. I've seen it often. When you do that, the carbon hardens and then it takes more vigorous cleaning to get it out. If you have a rough bore from the factory, it will often times be harder to clean, thus requiring more intense cleaning. That of course wears a barrel just a TAD more than normal.
If you shoot A LOT, sometimes it's not the 'over cleaning' that wears the barrel; sometimes it's just the shooting.

Most people don't do long, thorough testing with bore chemicals because it's a boring, mundane subject. I am also surprised to still see how many people don't borescope. I can tell you this from cleaning barrels since the early 90's, that quite a few chemicals out there will produce a colored pack from a BRAND NEW never fired barrel. It's simply a reaction. True, they will produce a dark patch if there's junk in the barrel, but some of them, you could patch for a YEAR STRAIGHT and they will never come out pure white. (note I'm saying some not all)
And the whole 'no bronze bore brushes in my bores' myth has been put away a loooooooooooong time ago. Bronze brushes do not wear out bores plain and simple. If you've over-cleaned a barrel and ruined it with a bronze brush, you would have ruined it with a plastic brush like an iosso as well. Most people will tell you they use bore guides, but most own them and only occasionally use them. A lot of people still use steel rods. That will wear stuff out way more than a bronze brush ever will.
99.9% of people don't do weapons maintenance DIRECTLY after shooting. They just dont. If you say I'm wrong I will never believe you. I've seen it often. When you do that, the carbon hardens and then it takes more vigorous cleaning to get it out. If you have a rough bore from the factory, it will often times be harder to clean, thus requiring more intense cleaning. That of course wears a barrel just a TAD more than normal.
If you shoot A LOT, sometimes it's not the 'over cleaning' that wears the barrel; sometimes it's just the shooting.
you seem to think that posting a lot of words gives you authority. it does not. cleaning since the 90's makes you a novice.
it is not the wear of the bbl that keeps them( BRONZE BRUSHES) out of my bbls. it is simple chemistry. when looking for copper in a bore why introduce a wearable product that is in part copper. you seem to be truly lost in thinking and not enough DOING

you seem to think that posting a lot of words gives you authority. it does not. cleaning since the 90's makes you a novice.
it is not the wear of the bbl that keeps them( BRONZE BRUSHES) out of my bbls. it is simple chemistry. when looking for copper in a bore why introduce a wearable product that is in part copper. you seem to be truly lost in thinking and not enough DOING
I thought long explanations as to why you are often wrong was being a bully but I guess it changes as you see fit. You're just a blow hard and an idiot. Have been all along and those of us that have been around long enough to remember you as the banned "mike in Colorado", we know who you are. No telling how many screen names you've had since then! The rest should not listen to anything you have to say.

He's banned from most every shooting forum out there but has fictitious emails, physical addresses as well as fictitious names he goes by because he can't play well with others nor can he be trusted at all. This guy is one to stay very clear of!!

All I can say is, you were warned. So pay this guy rsmithsr2 no attention. Send me a pm if you want the whole story from the admin at accurate shooter in copy and paste form. He's a banned member on this site as well!!

I thought long explanations as to why you are often wrong was being a bully but I guess it changes as you see fit. You're just a blow hard and an idiot. Have been all along and those of us that have been around long enough to remember you as the banned "mike in Colorado", we know who you are. No telling how many screen names you've had since then! The rest should not listen to anything you have to say.

He's banned from most every shooting forum out there but has fictitious emails, physical addresses as well as fictitious names he goes by because he can't play well with others nor can he be trusted at all. This guy is one to stay very clear of!!

All I can say is, you were warned. So pay this guy rsmithsr2 no attention. Send me a pm if you want the whole story from the admin at accurate shooter in copy and paste form. He's a banned member on this site as well!!
i see the child bully has reared his head again. it is amazing just how much he hates having his head handed to him in an open discussion on the handicapped system used in his almost benchrest matches. ohh and we still have not seen his ibs/nbrsa national championship wins/points.

Back