Who did these modifications on a Leupold?

There doesn't seem to be anyone making scopes that will fill the bill for HBR shooting any longer so it's either fix the ones we have or go without.

Pete
Swerving off topic a bit...there's some rumbling about the NBRSA Hunter rules moving the weight to 10.5 lbs. That would sure open up a lot more possibilities for scope choices. :)

Swerving off topic a bit...there's some rumbling about the NBRSA Hunter rules moving the weight to 10.5 lbs. That would sure open up a lot more possibilities for scope choices. :)
YES !

Some time ago, I googled the HBR parameters for a 6X scope @ March. Up popped a 15 oz variable with 1/8 clicks and tiny dot. Across the picture on top was DISCONTINUED in red letters. :( .

I also inquired elsewhere and the person told me there was no market. I can't imagine they wouldn't easily sell 500 of them.

That aside, If I could get two of my Burris fixed by someone, I would be as satisfied.

Last edited:

I also inquired elsewhere and the person told me there was no market. I can't imagine they wouldn't easily sell 500 of them.

That aside, If I could get two of my Burris fixed by someone, I would be as satisfied.

Same issue here. The HBR, which I and some buddies do like very much, is coming to an end because of no scope available on the market. More and more are switching to VFS.

Went into a discussion with a Czech manufacturer (Valiant) for a 6x HBR and got the same answer, no market. Even when I explained there was no manufacturer in the US anymore, answer remained the same : no market. That brand prefers to go full throttle on the long range market where there is a market ... but so much commercial competition. Strange.

I am using one of their 3-9 x 40 AO at the moment, because it was the lightest available here. Neither high end or flagship, just a light, 1", AO, glass etched ret, 200$ scope. IMO, it offers quite much scope for the price. Tracking is good BUT erector tube NEEDS 2 bullets in the sighter to get in place every time I "unscrew" a turret. Glass is excellent, much better than wife's Burris Mini 6 (The Survivor, for the moment !!) and better than my 2 former T6. Light transmission is excellent, better than T6. So far, 1000 shots later, I got medals with it at regional and national, so .... I am approximately happy.

That's the reasoning behind possibly changing the NBRSA Hunter weight from 10 to 10.5 pounds. The extra 8 oz. would open up a lot of options for scopes. It will definitely be an agenda item to be voted on at the 2024 NBRSA Score Nationals.

At this years NBRSA Score Nationals, there were less that 50 Hunter shooters. No scope mfg is going to gear up for that small a market. The smart play is to adjust the class to work with scopes that are available.

Hopefully the competitors shooting IBS tournaments will move this idea forward as well.

Good shootin' -Al

That's the reasoning behind possibly changing the NBRSA Hunter weight from 10 to 10.5 pounds. The extra 8 oz. would open up a lot of options for scopes. It will definitely be an agenda item to be voted on at the 2024 NBRSA Score Nationals.

At this years NBRSA Score Nationals, there were less that 50 Hunter shooters. No scope mfg is going to gear up for that small a market. The smart play is to adjust the class to work with scopes that are available.

Hopefully the competitors shooting IBS tournaments will move this idea forward as well.

Good shootin' -Al
Increasing the weight for the class won't change anything as far as performance of the rifles are concerned. I suppose if they do change the weight limit, a new set of records will need to be established, which doesn't hurt anything either. I'm all for doing it.

Increasing the weight for the class won't change anything as far as performance of the rifles are concerned. I suppose if they do change the weight limit, a new set of records will need to be established, which doesn't hurt anything either. I'm all for doing it.
Nothing to it but to do it, Pete. I'm not sure of the need for any new records, though. When the NBRSA dropped case capacity rule for Hunter guns, the existing records for the class remained. ;)

Should the rules allow for a weight increase next year, that will open the door for the extra weight of 30 mm tubes and side para (and zooming system).

I am just feeling disappointed about the need (and subsequent refusal) of manufacturers to "gear up" for the reduced HBR market.

HBR population is squeezing because of no scope.

Here, some "courageous" competitors are giving a try to Leupold FX3 and even Swarovsky or Schmidt&Bender. All have 100 yd/m preset para and they are "in the basement" at 200 meters yardage.

Should a manufacturer already master the glass etched reticles, AO or side para, 1/8 moa click and have a 3-9 // 3-12 x 40 / 42 on hand, I can't see where the "huge gearing up" issue is.

It's just about gluing a lens pack at x6 position, do not install useless zoom actuating parts, keep a now "freewheeling" zoom adjustment wheel and introduce a "cheap and easy to make" dot reticle in place of expansive 'cause complicated sandbox sniper one.

What a FFFFF**king HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE gearing up.

I hardly understand why Sightron, who is keeping a SII x36 alive "for the poor" doesn't introduce a x6 HBR. Would be good marketing and nice political decision toward their other higher end BR products.

Sightron offered a fixed 6 power A.O. scope designated the 6HBR series. They were available in cross hair and .375 dot dot reticles. I shot both versions for several years....good scopes.

A 6X on the existing SII 36X platform would be nice.

Good shootin' :) -Al

Sightron offered a fixed 6 power A.O. scope designated the 6HBR series. They were available in cross hair and .375 dot dot reticles. I shot both versions for several years....good scopes.

A 6X on the existing SII 36X platform would be nice.

Good shootin' :) -Al
I have two of them, one, for sure, does not hold POI and the second is Questionable. I bought it to be NIB! I like them alot. Have owned one other that I foolishly SOLD. It was, is a good one. Great glass in them.

I had one of the light variables that seemed good except one of the lenses in the ocular group was dislodged, causing a distraction shadow. They couldn't repair it. I think I spoke of that one earlier.
Same issue here. The HBR, which I and some buddies do like very much, is coming to an end because of no scope available on the market. More and more are switching to VFS.

Went into a discussion with a Czech manufacturer (Valiant) for a 6x HBR and got the same answer, no market. Even when I explained there was no manufacturer in the US anymore, answer remained the same : no market. That brand prefers to go full throttle on the long range market where there is a market ... but so much commercial competition. Strange.

I am using one of their 3-9 x 40 AO at the moment, because it was the lightest available here. Neither high end or flagship, just a light, 1", AO, glass etched ret, 200$ scope. IMO, it offers quite much scope for the price. Tracking is good BUT erector tube NEEDS 2 bullets in the sighter to get in place every time I "unscrew" a turret. Glass is excellent, much better than wife's Burris Mini 6 (The Survivor, for the moment !!) and better than my 2 former T6. Light transmission is excellent, better than T6. So far, 1000 shots later, I got medals with it at regional and national, so .... I am approximately happy.
My current best 6X scope is one of the old shiny black Burris Mini's. It is solid, so far. I also have what I believe to be a sound HBR ll I found last year. My history with that model has been dodgy. I also have another of them that could be fixed I believe. I have yet another NIB Black Mini with a coarse Duplex reticle in it. I would love to get a fine X hair and .375 dot put it it as well.

Nothing to it but to do it, Pete. I'm not sure of the need for any new records, though. When the NBRSA dropped case capacity rule for Hunter guns, the existing records for the class remained. ;)
I think you may know the process to get IBS rules changed. It ain't easy.

Pete

You guys are feeling the same pain as the few who still shoot IR50/50 Sporter and 3-Gun. Our weight limit is 7-1/2lb though!

Scott

We need to find another Cecil Tucker. Most of the scopes that do not work can easily be repaired by someone who can first take them apart without breaking them then analyzing the problem(s) and finding items to use to remedy the problem. Erector springs seem to be the biggest issue and or the pivot the erector utilizes. There is a three part YouTube of a guy who goes through the process of fixing his scope that was no longer being made. The solutions seemed really simple but it requires someone willing to do those things. If I was 10 years younger, I would endeavor to do exactly what I have outlined. Anyone who can repair cameras or telescopes could easily repair 6X scopes.

The tools to take scopes apart appear to be cheap and readily available. Telescope or camera repair spanners and a heat source to loosten the thread bonding compound and of course good small screw drivers

What is your budget on scope weight? Variable power scopes are allowed if taped, gota think their are some variables available that could fill-the-bill.

What is your budget on scope weight? Variable power scopes are allowed if taped, gota think their are some variables available that could fill-the-bill.
Two issues: 1. Adjustability and reticle choice. I personally can not live with 1/2" MOA and really need a very small dot and fine crosshairs, me.
Another weight consideration is a tuner. It is very difficult to add a tuner to a hunter class rifle and be legal because of the current 10 pound weight limitation.
I have tuners on some of my HBR barrels. One has to take the weight out of the barrel though. 1 or two ounces will tune a barrel so it is easier than one may think. some time ago a lad reported that he had been able to tune his HV barrel with a 1.5oz weight. The weight comes off easier on the cylinder end :).

How many HBR shooters would pay $2500. for a bullet proof 6X HBR scope? That will tell the story.

Pete.

Me, I'm in for one and I'm almost 80 yoa!

Adding more weight to the scope may have unintended consequences. Adding weight above the narrower stock may have an effect on gun handling. Buy an old steel T6 weaver or a KT6 and go shoot. 30+ years of traveling to shoot hunter rifle I never had a failure. Another rarer option is a mk4 6x leupold & have the clicks removed. Adjusting it takes some practice but the click adjustments are huge. Hunter is far more challenging than most give it credit for. The people who love it are the salt of the earth & the finest people I know.
Good luck & God bless.

I have not shot HBR for many years, and probably should get back into it, but there're no matches reasonably close.
I have two rifles that should be rebarrelled in 30 BR , and 2 Mini Burris scopes, 2 Weaver KT-6's and 2 of the old Lyman AO 6x.
The Lymans have great glass, but the adjustments are horrible. HBR rifles are sure a lot easier to pack around than a UNL group rig!

FWIW
Save Kostanich

I have not shot HBR for many years, and probably should get back into it, but there're no matches reasonably close.
I have two rifles that should be rebarrelled in 30 BR , and 2 Mini Burris scopes, 2 Weaver KT-6's and 2 of the old Lyman AO 6x.
The Lymans have great glass, but the adjustments are horrible. HBR rifles are sure a lot easier to pack around than a UNL group rig!

FWIW
Save Kostanich
There are Hunter class shoots I Chelan, WA., while it’s not NBRSA we shoot 2 Hunter Matches in LaGrande, OR. Each year in August and September.

Back