Who did these modifications on a Leupold?

P. Octo

We got this Leupold from an estate; the turrets are blocked by those Delrin screws but if anybody recognises the 'handicraft', that would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
IMG-20231127-WA0004.jpgIMG-20231127-WA0005.jpg

Thank you for your answers; we thought this wasn't done by a reputable and experienced gunsmith
Actually, several top BR 'smiths and talented tinkerers performed this modification. As Wayne mentioned, the late Ron Hoehn is primarily linked to this mod. It's very simple to do and if you don't want to use the screws to lock the erector, just remove them and plug the holes. I've had several scope with this modification. No problems ever.

If you look in Mike Ratigan's book, you'll see pics and references to this.

Hope this helps. :) -Al

Didn't/doesn't Burris have something like that called Posi-Lock?
They did...maybe still do on some. I had a 8-32 Signature with that feature. A spring loaded set screw could be adjusted to bear against the erector tube to lock it in place. In practice, that process would change the zero....you had to lead it a bit before you locked it. The last versions of the Burris HBR scopes, the HBRII, featured the Posi Lock spring but not the set screw.

A better approach was what Cecil Tucker did with a coiled spring in a small housing that rode against the erector tube at an angle and kept the erector assy preloaded against the w/e adjusters.

Hi Gents,

What about fogging in such a modified scope ? Does it need a nitrogen re-purge from time to time ?

I mean, I can understand a Tucker's or PosiLock being moisture / air proof and "keep" the nitrogen inside, but the Delrin screws ??

It's doubtful there's much, if any, nitrogen or argon that remains in a scope after a while. In a BR setting, fogging would be pretty unlikely...not that it couldnt happen, though.

I've got a fixed power 6X scope here that had some fungus on the the inside of the objective lens. I've disassembled it and cleaned the lens. Now that cold weather has set in, it will be interesting to see what happens when it comes in and out of the house.

For what it's worth. :) -Al

I watched a YouTube the other day of a DYI guy fixing his scope that would not hold POI. On the one he was working on, he showed the pivot attached to the erector tube that he said he thought was the biggest problem. He simply found am o ring that fit nicely ahead of it which he thought corrected the problem. He also made some extra springs mimicking the original and added either one or two .

I sure wish someone would start fixing older scopes, no longer made, specifically 6X HBR scopes. There are a jillion of them languishing that will no longer hold POI. I have several. The Burris scopes had great glass and reticle. I have what I think are two good ones but am always waiting tot the other shoe to fall. The old Black ones are my favorites of them.

The guy fixing his own scope ; the company that mane and or sold it would not fix it. Said it was not economically feasible to do so. Is that a familiar story or what?

In Cecil Tuckers conversion, I believe he replaced some of the internal o-rings and a heaver spring along with his locking screw mechanism. Unfortunately, with his passing, this option is not available. I have one of his Leu 36X's that has never let me down!

I sure wish someone would start fixing older scopes, no longer made, specifically 6X HBR scopes. There are a jillion of them languishing that will no longer hold POI. I have several.
Pete, what brands of HBR scopes do you need serviced?

I'm not convinced this mod fixes anything. I had one done years ago and the scope still wondered. The problem is elsewhere.

The erector tube has some kind of a 2 axis pivot at one end having some kind of a "cv joint effect". Should that pivot get some play after huge scope use, no modification at turret level will ever solve the issue.

Pete, Sightron still services those scopes right here in the good 'ol U.S A. (y)
The last scope I sent to them they couldn't fix. It wasn't this model so I will try when I get home in the spring. I also sent it to an independent scope person who couldn't fix it either.

Thanks,

Pete

The erector tube has some kind of a 2 axis pivot at one end having some kind of a "cv joint effect". Should that pivot get some play after huge scope use, no modification at turret level will ever solve the issue.

I believe this to be the issue quite often. I'd be willing to pay "Very Well" if someone would "Fix" some of my scopes. There doesn't seem to be anyone making scopes that will fill the bill for HBR shooting any longer so it's either fix the ones we have or go without.

Pete

Back