Who did these modifications on a Leupold?

I watched a YouTube the other day of a DYI guy fixing his scope that would not hold POI. On the one he was working on, he showed the pivot attached to the erector tube that he said he thought was the biggest problem. He simply found am o ring that fit nicely ahead of it which he thought corrected the problem. He also made some extra springs mimicking the original and added either one or two .

I sure wish someone would start fixing older scopes, no longer made, specifically 6X HBR scopes. There are a jillion of them languishing that will no longer hold POI. I have several. The Burris scopes had great glass and reticle. I have what I think are two good ones but am always waiting tot the other shoe to fall. The old Black ones are my favorites of them.

The guy fixing his own scope ; the company Modern web design Albany that mane and or sold it would not fix it. Said it was not economically feasible to do so. Is that a familiar story or what?

Sightron offered a fixed 6 power A.O. scope designated the 6HBR series. They were available in cross hair and .375 dot dot reticles. I shot both versions for several years....good scopes.

A 6X on the existing SII 36X platform would be nice.

Good shootin' :) -Al
An "updated glass version" - "ED" quality coatings and premium glass. The Myer scope proved the worth of lens quality - looking through my 6X Meyer, people usually declare it to be about 9X!o_O The problem was the weight - a whopping 29.6 ounces! :eek:

To venture even nearer the slippery-slope edge, why not also eliminate the 2.25" fore-end [stock] width dimension, and recruit the individuals who have always (as far back as I can recall, to 1976) stated, "if I could put a 6x scope on my Lv/Sporter, I'd do that . . ." Rip the lid off the box!!o_O

The only "line-in-the-sand" for yours truly would be the 6X magnification: THE CHALLENGE of, and the DIFFERENCE between the varmint classes and Hunter Class.

That said, regarding scope magnification, few recall what transpired with the Sporter Class . . . :p RG

An "updated glass version" - "ED" quality coatings and premium glass. The Myer scope proved the worth of lens quality - looking through my 6X Meyer, people usually declare it to be about 9X!o_O The problem was the weight - a whopping 29.6 ounces! :eek:

To venture even nearer the slippery-slope edge, why not also eliminate the 2.25" fore-end [stock] width dimension, and recruit the individuals who have always (as far back as I can recall, to 1976) stated, "if I could put a 6x scope on my Lv/Sporter, I'd do that . . ." Rip the lid off the box!!o_O

The only "line-in-the-sand" for yours truly would be the 6X magnification: THE CHALLENGE of, and the DIFFERENCE between the varmint classes and Hunter Class.

That said, regarding scope magnification, few recall what transpired with the Sporter Class . . . :p RG
Only those who understand the challenge of the 6X and 10 pound gun can understand it. The numbers of those who like the 6X has waxed and waned over time but new shooters do come along from time to time. 6X shooting is the true challenge in Benchrest is 6X shooting.

A 10.5 LV gun with a 6X scope for Hunter class would be a hoot. The pool of prospective competitors would be huge....the only thing needed for current LV competitors to compete would be a scope...no need to build a specialized gun for Hunter class. :)

Al, are you proposing to remove the magazine cut out in the action? Simply, the IBS Varmint-Hunter?
Technically, NO (red below) - I'd just allow any LV/Sporter so long as it had either a fixed 6X scope, or, a variable, set and taped at 6X.o_O:D Literally all of the original rules, in the beginning aimed at keeping the .222 Rem.(and derivatives - and later, the PPC) at bay were just a bunch of phobic nonsense.
The sole exception IS the 6X scope, which demands some skill.

Under IBS rules, the sole difference between Hunter and Varmint Hunter: the latter has neither caliber, nor case-capacity restrictions (well, except over .45 cal. o_O). Comparatively, when the NBRSA Hunter rules (2014?) were amended to remove the caliber/capacity restrictions, we have been using the Varmint Hunter rifles. Another technicality: the IBS rules (last time I looked) accommodate a somewhat larger barrel profile.

One of the IBS' biggest screw-ups was creating the VH class, as opposed to simply eliminating the caliber/capacity rule . . .

My reasoning is to create the opportunity to recruit a large number of competitors, who could, "use what they've got" - the excuse I've heard since I began participating in the Hunter class . . . "if I could use my LV with a 6X scope, I'd do it" - Let's, "hold their feet to the fire"!:p

The lack of quality fixed 6X scopes and [legal] HUNTER class stocks fuels my reasoning. Keep 'em ON the X! RG

Last edited:
Were I granted, "king for a day" authority, I'd dictate the following rules for NBRSA HUNTER Class (BTW "Hunter Rifle", has always been a COMPLETE misnomer): 6X Class; weight limit 10.5 Lb.; maximum fore-end width 3.0"; maximum scope magnification 6X (or, variable magnification set and taped at 6X). These rules SHALL NOT be altered with less than 80% approval by attendees of the [annual] membership meeting conducted during the NBRSA Score Nationals.

"And there, you have it" (quote from Amadeus). o_O I understand that this will never happen, but it''s my dream . . . and would eliminate the phobic nonsense, and wipe out the, "slippery slope" . . . THE CHALLENGE of Keeping 'em ON the X would remain!;) RG

An edit: really, I'd state UNANIMOUS approval - but I don't think that would pass . . .:p

Last edited:
I personally do not think the extry half pound would matter at all or a wider stock. What matters is the 6X scope. Hell, you could even pump it up to 13.5 pounds and the same would be true. Having given up on fixing existing defective scopes, I spent the " The Nursing Home's Money" on a couple "new in the box" scopes this winter and hope for the best with them. At 80, things are beginning to look a bit different.

Al, are you proposing to remove the magazine cut out in the action? Simply, the IBS Varmint-Hunter?
Nothing is lost in the magazine cut. There are plenty of great shooting Hunter class rifles. I bought one years ago from a guy who had shot a 25X VFS score with it. I had made up my mind that I wanted to convert to RRR rifles so I sold it. I had other rifles that shot as well

If you guys are still looking, theirs a Leupold Competition VX-3 6x42 on E-Bay right now. Looks like it's going to bring $500 or better. You'll need to hurry, ends tomorrow.

Gentlemen,

With all respects, I disagree with some of the above.

Apart from the use of a 6x scope that furthermore might be 1/4" click @ 100yd, I do consider the HBR challenge is also in :

- handling a gun that kicks all day long . I mean gun handling, recoil management, all day long, also ARE the salt of the HBR. Allowing pussy's gun in 222 or 22/6 ppc is, to me, out of consideration. My wife handles her 30x46 all day long, and her gun is way underweight. Keeping the Historical/Fame 30-30W capacity is a must.

- the narrow fore end is also a part of the gun handling game and gun tuning. The narrow fore end means a narrow stock, a more flexible stock. It has its role too. Even if it doesn't twist as an AK, I am quite sure the narrow HBR stock strains more than a 3" wide stock, all other things being equal. That 30 beast wanna rock AND ROLL !! Hold it !! Play with it !! Allowing pussy's caliber in 3" wide stock is just castrating the game.

I dunnow the ongoing rules in the US, but here we have the VFS (varmint for score in French :unsure: ). Every owner of a compliant LV / HV gun can enter the game and tackle the X. They shoot at the same relay, same target as we, the Real Men (and Wonder-Woman) HBR class.

I can understand a slight increase in weight, that famous .5 pound for "covering" the scope weight increase due to the use of a 3-9.

ps : for those who may be reluctant to ask, my Wife has always been a female. YES !! Gurlz can shoot ’em too !! :p

Gentlemen,

With all respects, I disagree with some of the above.

Apart from the use of a 6x scope that furthermore might be 1/4" click @ 100yd, I do consider the HBR challenge is also in :

- handling a gun that kicks all day long . I mean gun handling, recoil management, all day long, also ARE the salt of the HBR. Allowing pussy's gun in 222 or 22/6 ppc is, to me, out of consideration. My wife handles her 30x46 all day long, and her gun is way underweight. Keeping the Historical/Fame 30-30W capacity is a must.

- the narrow fore end is also a part of the gun handling game and gun tuning. The narrow fore end means a narrow stock, a more flexible stock. It has its role too. Even if it doesn't twist as an AK, I am quite sure the narrow HBR stock strains more than a 3" wide stock, all other things being equal. That 30 beast wanna rock AND ROLL !! Hold it !! Play with it !! Allowing pussy's caliber in 3" wide stock is just castrating the game.

I dunnow the ongoing rules in the US, but here we have the VFS (varmint for score in French :unsure: ). Every owner of a compliant LV / HV gun can enter the game and tackle the X. They shoot at the same relay, same target as we, the Real Men (and Wonder-Woman) HBR class.

I can understand a slight increase in weight, that famous .5 pound for "covering" the scope weight increase due to the use of a 3-9.

ps : for those who may be reluctant to ask, my Wife has always been a female. YES !! Gurlz can shoot ’em too !! :p
OliveOil, while you make some good points (reminiscent of days gone by), in NBRSA Hunter Class tournaments, we have been coping without the caliber & case-capacity restrictions since about 2014, when both the caliber and case-capacity restriction were eliminated - there has been no appreciable increase in scoring . With extreme certainty, the Hunter Class has not been taken over by the sub-calibers.:)

Interestingly, beginning in about the mid-90's, by the early 21st century, the majority of the "manly-men", while proclaiming recoil to be, "part of the game" (my phrasing), had migrated to the lighter bullet weights (112-125Gr. vs 150 Gr.) . . .:p

Yours truly has become a rare bird - continuing to employ the reliable 30x47HBR, while most competitors are opting for the 30BR, or, similar capacity . . . or, a 6mm of some sort. Despite, the extra recoil, I still win my fair share of yardages and Grand Aggregates. Via a 6x scope, I cannot shoot either a LV, or HV, even sporting a punny 22, .22x30* Russian, 6BR, or, 6PPC any better than I shoot a ten Lb. Hunter Rifle - it's ALL about the sight picture. o_O RG

Olive Oil-
I am curious, do you have information on this ".5 pound weight increase" that you noted? I ask because my recent talk with Rich Carpenter (Chairman of the NBRSA score committee) resulted in him telling me that no one has sent in input or request related to a weight change.

I have made a formal request through the Gulf Coast regional director for the increase to 10 1/2 pound to get this thing before the Score Committee and to hopefully discuss the measures at the Nationals Score shooters meeting. Mike Conry indicated he will present it to the board according to rules.
Al Elliott

If I remember right, back in the mid "60's when the NBRSA ( I think) was developing the 3 varmint classes, the Sporter was an "almost" Hunter class rifle. 6mm for larger on the bone, magazine fed action, and 16x power scope limit. Can't remember what the stock configuration was. I was not yet into BR shooting until 1969. Shot my first match in Unlimited class with a home made HV. Came in dead last, but I was hooked, and am still at it!!

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

If I remember right, back in the mid "60's when the NBRSA ( I think) was developing the 3 varmint classes, the Sporter was an "almost" Hunter class rifle. 6mm for larger on the bone, magazine fed action, and 16x power scope limit. Can't remember what the stock configuration was. I was not yet into BR shooting until 1969. Shot my first match in Unlimited class with a home made HV. Came in dead last, but I was hooked, and am still at it!!

FWIW
Steve Kostanich
Steve, originally, the Sporter class was limited to 8X scope magnification, and the .23 Cal., or larger, was intended to develop cartridges other the .222 Remington and derivatives. As I recall, the 8X scope morphed into anything goes within four seasons.
Interestingly, once the "logic" of forced development of, the "NEXT best-thing"(the PPC), this line of reasoning was terminated . . .:p
I have a bunch of OLD American Rifleman Magazines, with articles by, I believe [mostly], by Neal Knox chronicling these, and other developments. RG

Last edited:
If you guys are still looking, theirs a Leupold Competition VX-3 6x42 on E-Bay right now. Looks like it's going to bring $500 or better. You'll need to hurry, ends tomorrow.
I bought three over the winter. I may have enough to last me out :)

Back