What is the most accurate factory rifle you've owned?

Kevin

Yes I'd love to see pictures of your 35 Remington

I don't even know what a CVA "Hunter" is but that makes no nevermind, this way I'll learn and I don't believe it'll scare any "accurate factory rifle" guys off.

The entire "factory rifle" moniker can change to "rifles made with factory and found parts" and it's no skin off my back...... IMO threads are like discussions. You might start by talking about bass fishing and end up comparing motorcycles I DON'T CARE!!

I enjoy the conversation, I come from a place and time where people got together to "visit"

We still do

no rules

Cva

Aliwnwa -

Howdy, again !

The rifle I refer to is a top break single shot offered by CVA. Mine is chambered in .35 Remington, is not their stainless model; and came w/ the factory-offered black
plastic stock & fore end. I like the rifle better than .357Max H & R SB2 Ultrra Rifle I used to have.

I $$$ the CVA so that I could migrate my .35 Remington accuracy work over from the Marlin; now that I'veproven how well my Marlin M-336 can shoot.
One of my experimens has been load work shooting my " wildcat " ........ " .35 Remington neckless " . For the " neckless", I really wanted a breechloader, because that is how I shoot the " neckless " wildcat.

I lop the neck off a .35 Rem case, and use a die to tamp the shoulder down to a new wider shoulder; that has a .308" calibre hole in the center. I do this because......
The bullet I'm shooting is a .350" diam swaged lead SPBT, that features a plastic aerodynamic cap on it; which covers the central hollow point cavity. A capped HPBT ?
I pulled the swaged lead bullets from a pack of .45" calibre saboted muzzle loader rounds. Bullet wt is 195gr ( un-patched )

I " patch " the bullet using DYMO self-stick nylon label maker tape. In the -336 I inserted the parched bullet into the breech using a ( #8 ? ) " Torx " L-shapped wrench which was fitted w/ a length of thick walled plastic drinking straw. The bullet's tapered BT is held by the hollow plastic slideable sleveve; and the bullet seated
" tool " is used to seat the bullet via access through the eject port. The charged case (w/ a small tuft of tissue inside to retain the powder ) is then introduce to the action's carrier by inserting it through the eject port.

Upon closing the actoin, the charged case slides fwd into battery. As it advances fwd, the taped BT of the bullet self-guides. The cartridge is fully seated when its bullet makes not only contact w/ the rifling..... but also w/ the small overhanging portion of the bullet' body immediatelyy above the BT. Case length and shoulder angle both contribute to proper seating forces used to fully-integrate the entire cartridge inside the chamber. Headsapce is also thusly addressed.

The CVA single shot by design gives great acceess and veiwing angles to the breech end of the barrel. This was a great inducement for using the CVA for
" .35 Remington neckless " load / range work.

I am adding significant wt to the rifle, as a means towards recoil reduction. I'll send some pics of my CVA rifle, which I have integrated inside a " quad rail ", and have afixed a bi-pod to.

With regards,
Kevin 357Mag

hijack

Alinwa, I wasnt tryin to hijack ya. Were just talking. I dont get up and walk out of the room because somebody changes subjects when Im talking to people. I was stating my limited experience with the 50 cal. Which aint much. Please accept my apology for the hijack. Doug

need to change the title of the thread....movin on

DOUG, Doug, Doug....... :) NO SUCH THING AS a hijack, I was referring to this post by rsmithsr about "changing the title of the thread"

I do this for FUN, to LEARN and to relax while spend time visiting with like-minded-people. I'm not sure what rsmithsr was saying but it seemed to be he was chastising someone for something and I'm here to say I DON'T CARE WHERE A THREAD GOES!!!

No need to apologize on my account Doug...... thanks for joining in

What do ya need a brake for? Eat your wheaties and shoot the non kickin varmint rifle. What is the recoil on it? Over a hundred lbs? I wouldnt shoot it with 10 brakes on it. I aint as tough as I used to be. Doug

Buddy brought his brandy new Cadex Defense BMG a couple weeks back for us to shoot after our weekly winter BR match.
Big time $ gun. First BMG I ever shot and it was a bit more than a 12 gauge slug gun with the brake they install, not bad at all.
He even had some military tracers…..rather imprressive.

Yup, light 12ga recoil is where I live...... I'm not in any way new to the 50BMG it's just that I've been building/experimenting/testing stuff for 20 years to get to this point of actually attempting a packable one. AND, because I'll probably have to build the brake for it I've had to do a ton of testing before building one for this big a round...

McBros Big50 (or TAC-50, whatever it is they're calling it these daze), AX-50, Barrett, Noreen, AR-50, Serbu I've even got a buddy with a swivel-mounted Browning ...... only the McBros and the Noreen piqued my interest in any way. The AR-50 SHOULD shoot OK, but in my experience it doesn't. But then East Ridge came out with the State Arms and I said to myself "self, if you can make this shoot, there's your 15lb rifle"

Now ain't NOBODY making such a beast and for good reason. If the brake fails it might make you dead, seriously.

But I have a sled,

I make and test muzzle brakes, and test them to destruction........I HAVE blown several down-range from lightweight (10lb) "3-ton" guns (6000fp ME) and not gotten hurt. Let me tell you, even a 6000ftlb ME gun will give you a wakeup when the brake blows off. And adding 50% to the weight and more than doubling the energy pulse, and KNOWING how a muzzle brake works and how much abuse it takes.... I'ma still go for it, I'm ready.

And ain't NOBODY making no quarter-minute BMG's neither ....... of any size.

And I've learned a lot about scaling in the last 3-4yrs.....

So I'm going for it

finally

:)

I need to add a safety caveat here regarding 50BMGs. 99% of all shooting ranges can't handle them.

Pierre at the annual varmint jamboree a guy brung one out after dark, tracers. Crowd all gethered 'round to watch and he torched one off. The crowed ooohed and ahhhed as the bullet sank into the target area.

Then started yelling as it arced back into the sky!

And watched it fall again.

And again

and again

SEVEN TIMES she came up and by the time it disappeared everyone was perty quiet.

He din't shoot any more.

50 cal.

A friend brought one out. Not sure what kind. Bolt action of some kind. Had a brake on it looked like an old muffler of somekind , wanted me to shoot it. I said no thanks. He shot it about 3 times into my dirt hump at a 100. Looked like you could have parked a VW in the impact area. He didnt have many shells. I was glad. My hump would have been gone. Doug

My most accurate factory rifle is a Remington 722 .222. I glassed the action with a kit from Herter's and adjusted the trigger. That's all it took to shoot a .560 5 shot group from a bench.

Mort

Accurate 30-06

20220412_150404.jpg 20220412_150324.jpg 20220412_150346.jpg

This is a FN 30-06 that belonged to my father. It's a Mauser action with a High Standard chrome lined barrel. These were sold by Sears' which is where he purchased it sometime during the Korean War.

That's not after-market lumber. It had a couple small dings where it didn't clean up at the factory. I'm thinking it is a second. After refinishing the stock they are pretty much gone.

After fooling around with different weights and powder, this rifle likes 4831 and shoots MOA.

Other than plinking this rifle has been a safe queen for the last 30 years. I did loan it to a friend who drew an Elk tag having nothing more than a 243 Win.

I used this rifle here in Idaho, Eastern Oregon, Washington and the North end of California. It has seen a lot of campfires and memories.

Mort

Last edited:
So much to like about an FN '98 with tipoffs (and the screws are perty clean too ;: ) and mapley goodness

Thank You

al

My Dakota Arms built, Remington Custom Shop 40X Target Master is the best factory built rifle I have ever owned. When Remington moved the custom shop to Dakota Arms, they did not keep using Remington barrels and it came with a Kreiger barrel and a Jewl Trigger. Not as accurate as mu Borden 6.5x47 at 1,000 yards, but pretty darn close.

Bob

P.S. - 6mm BR Norma

Browning A-Bolt BOSS

The most accurate factory rifle that I ever owned was a Browning A-Bolt BOSS .223

I purchased it here in Australia around 1997 and once I developed some hand-loads that it liked and followed the Browning BOSS adjustment instructions it shot like a laser. The best 5 shot group that it managed was 0.258" at 100y, Sierra 52gn HPBT, 24.3gn BM1, Rem 7-1/2 primer

I did not realise it until much later, but the BOSS system was my first barrel tuner (long before I even heard of the term). https://www.browning.com/support/faq/boss-system.html

Anyhow, after doing very well at some local club competitions somebody that did not like to be beaten at anything complained that my muzzle brake was too noisy, so asked his mate (the Club president) to have a rule instigated that banned muzzle brakes at our range.

I protested that my Browning was only a little .223 and the complainers' .308 without a muzzle brake was heaps noisier. No luck!

I never went back to that range for 3 years, fitted a Harris bipod and got some good hunting time in with that Browning - if I could see a fox, wild dog or rabbit through the Leopold scope, it was history.

It was only after I sold the Browning that I learned that a 'CR' (conventional recoil) tuner was available.

* doggie *

The most accurate factory rifle that I ever owned was a Browning A-Bolt BOSS .223...

SNIP

...It was only after I sold the Browning that I learned that a 'CR' (conventional recoil) tuner was available.
The CR tuner is still considered a "brake" by Browning, the BOSS patent requires that holes be present.

I used to push 125 grain bullets through a Model 70 BOSS rifle, using 50 grains of IMR-4895 in the 30-06 case. Reasonable recoil, but the muzzle blast was a bit much....

The CR tuner is still considered a "brake" by Browning, the BOSS patent requires that holes be present.

I used to push 125 grain bullets through a Model 70 BOSS rifle, using 50 grains of IMR-4895 in the 30-06 case. Reasonable recoil, but the muzzle blast was a bit much....

That is interesting info Asa Yam. Was the CR attachment really a brake? It had no holes, so I am confused.

But of more interest, how did your Model 70 BOSS shoot compared to factory rifles of 30 years ago?

I was responding to Al's original question about factory rifles and my Browning was shot as it came out of the box, no mods and just load development turned it into the most accurate unmodified factory rifle that I have ever owned.

Biggest letdown was shooting at 300m targets on a windy day, then the advantages of a larger calibre and more ballistically efficient projectiles with a competent operator was quite evident.

But on a calm day the little .223 Browning BOSS could hold it's own.

* doggie *

Boss

Ive got a 300 win. mag with the boss. It will shoot .5 inch at 100. It has holes in it. Ive always got ear protection on but its loud. I shot the biggest whitetail I ve shot to date with it, no ear protection, didnt notice it. Thats probably why Im so deaf now. Heard alot of em go off. Doug

Back