What is the most accurate factory rifle you've owned?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
For me "accuracy" started with a Cooper 22-250. I skim-bedded it and it shot good better than my prior stuff.

Then I bought an estate which included 3 "6PPC USA" rifles...... a heavy barreled #1, A laminated M77V and a Sako A1.

Hands down my most accurate though is maybe a 'hybrid?' in that it's a factory ACTION only..... with a lot of work done :)

Is a full-on custom rifle which uses a factory action as it's base a "Hybrid??"

My first foray into accuracy started with a Remington chambered in .223. Of course I was advised by just about everyone to sell it and get a full blown custom. This rifle is now a factory/hybrid as well. Wood laminate stock, pillar bedded, Krieger barrel now chambered in 6X45 and a Jewel trigger. The only work done to the action was getting the firing pin hole bushed and firing pin turned down to .062 and a I had a different bolt handle installed. Nothing done to “true it up”.

This is my go to rifle for our twice monthly 300 yard matches and I have no regrets about keeping it. It shoots as well as I could hope and keeps me in contention.

I do have two rifles with full custom actions, one for 100 yard Score matches and another for 600 yard f-class.

IMO having the firing pin bushed is the most important mod on a factory gun.

AND a pita!

LOL

"6X45"..... now there's a Blast From The Past!

For me, it was a 90s vintage Winchester Heavy Varminter in 22-250. It was an honest .250 moa factory rifle. Wore the barrel out and replaced it with a Shilen Select match hv contour ratchet rifled barrel. It was still an honest .250 rifle. I wish I'd kept it.

A bone stock mdl 70 push feed in 270 Win. 150 gr. NBT and 47.5 grs IMR 4320. A nice tight cloverleaf @ 200yds

accurate factory rifle

Alinwa -

Howdy !

While I haven't bought a bunch of factor rifles over the past 45+ yr, the most amazingly accurate factory rifle was the Marling M-336 XLR .35 Remington.

I had spotted one @ a local gunshop, that was made in the last 2yr of Marlin's production in CT.
Was working on saving-up for it, when I heard that Remington was re-locating to NY. I figured that pirce on these original Marlins woudl go right through the roof.
So, I plunked down the $$$ in 3 payments.

I only wanted the rifle for doing target work from the bench, w/ intent to show just how accurate a " factory" rife might be.
I could not believe my luck, when I found that the rifle had a 2oz ( yes ounce ) trigger. I DK why or how the rifle escaped the factory w/ this light of trigger pull, but I was elated, as all of my benchrest work had been using bolt guns w/ 2oz triggers. * I was not going to using the rifle in the field on live game. *

With hopes of finding a super-accurate load, w/ intent to use the rifle for " score " shoots. I set a preliminary benchmark of achieving a 5-shot 100yd 5/8" group.
All I did to the rifle was add a combination barrel block / fwd bi-pod mount, which I cast in-place using a mold I made; and casting resin. The barrel block locked the rifle's barrel to the magazine tube to aid rigidity, to receive any upward forces from the bi-pod.

The XLR featured a barrel that seemed to have been lapped. I could push a patch through w/ my eyes closed, and could stop the rod @ the same point repeatedly, ithin the last 1.5" before the muzzle. The rifle was new when I bought it, and it broke-in w/ just one shot. I only saw " blue " on the first patch after the first shot, and not thereafter. I've never used a brush on the rifle, only patches and solvent. More recently, simply use Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner to both clean & condition the bore.

I was shooting reduced loads of SR4759 under surplus Remington .358" cal 150PSPs. The charge was so light, that the bullets barely stayed stable through 100yd.
I mounted a 2X-boosted T-36 on the rifle.

My oldest son shot the first 5/8" 100yd group when I was only able to shoot a 11/16" group. The next month, I finally did shoot a 5/8" group of my own.

During another range cession, I had a one-ragged hole group going w/ the first 3 shots; and was watching my windflag intently. I misread the condition on the last
2 shots, and they both went outside of the first 3-shot group; putting 2 holes in the target exactly where I was aiming to compenstae for wind. Aaaack !!

Read the 150PSPs shot so well because they were "plated" and not jacketed, so they obturated in the Martlin's 12-groove " Ballard " rifling really well. When the 150PSPs
ran out, I switched over to Cutting Edge's excellent turned-brass 150SPBT Extended Range " Raptor " bullet. With these bullets, I switched over to use of H4198.
I shot a one ragged hole 5-shot 50yd group first time I tried the Raptors, but my reduced load of H4198 was so light, the bullets would not stay stable out to 100yd.
Getting accuracy @ 100yd is the next step, so charge weights will need to increase.

Best factory rifle I ever bought !

With regards,
357Mag

Alinwa -

Howdy !

While I haven't bought a bunch of factor rifles over the past 45+ yr, the most amazingly accurate factory rifle was the Marling M-336 XLR .35 Remington.

I had spotted one @ a local gunshop, that was made in the last 2yr of Marlin's production in CT.
Was working on saving-up for it, when I heard that Remington was re-locating to NY. I figured that pirce on these original Marlins woudl go right through the roof.
So, I plunked down the $$$ in 3 payments.

I only wanted the rifle for doing target work from the bench, w/ intent to show just how accurate a " factory" rife might be.
I could not believe my luck, when I found that the rifle had a 2oz ( yes ounce ) trigger. I DK why or how the rifle escaped the factory w/ this light of trigger pull, but I was elated, as all of my benchrest work had been using bolt guns w/ 2oz triggers. * I was not going to using the rifle in the field on live game. *

With hopes of finding a super-accurate load, w/ intent to use the rifle for " score " shoots. I set a preliminary benchmark of achieving a 5-shot 100yd 5/8" group.
All I did to the rifle was add a combination barrel block / fwd bi-pod mount, which I cast in-place using a mold I made; and casting resin. The barrel block locked the rifle's barrel to the magazine tube to aid rigidity, to receive any upward forces from the bi-pod.

The XLR featured a barrel that seemed to have been lapped. I could push a patch through w/ my eyes closed, and could stop the rod @ the same point repeatedly, ithin the last 1.5" before the muzzle. The rifle was new when I bought it, and it broke-in w/ just one shot. I only saw " blue " on the first patch after the first shot, and not thereafter. I've never used a brush on the rifle, only patches and solvent. More recently, simply use Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner to both clean & condition the bore.

I was shooting reduced loads of SR4759 under surplus Remington .358" cal 150PSPs. The charge was so light, that the bullets barely stayed stable through 100yd.
I mounted a 2X-boosted T-36 on the rifle.

My oldest son shot the first 5/8" 100yd group when I was only able to shoot a 11/16" group. The next month, I finally did shoot a 5/8" group of my own.

During another range cession, I had a one-ragged hole group going w/ the first 3 shots; and was watching my windflag intently. I misread the condition on the last
2 shots, and they both went outside of the first 3-shot group; putting 2 holes in the target exactly where I was aiming to compenstae for wind. Aaaack !!

Read the 150PSPs shot so well because they were "plated" and not jacketed, so they obturated in the Martlin's 12-groove " Ballard " rifling really well. When the 150PSPs
ran out, I switched over to Cutting Edge's excellent turned-brass 150SPBT Extended Range " Raptor " bullet. With these bullets, I switched over to use of H4198.
I shot a one ragged hole 5-shot 50yd group first time I tried the Raptors, but my reduced load of H4198 was so light, the bullets would not stay stable out to 100yd.
Getting accuracy @ 100yd is the next step, so charge weights will need to increase.

Best factory rifle I ever bought !

With regards,
357Mag

That is frikkin' AWESOME!!

I'll give you a hunner't more than you paid for it even though I'm not a lever guy..... I'm of course joking but but a sub-moa levergun??? ..... can you post a picture of that resin block? I might just go after a 336 in classic 30-30. I've got some stupid-scarce 30-30 cases I use for a boltgun that would let me have a ".308 Win Class" lever action that shoots!

barrel clamp

Alinwa -

Howdy ! Nice to hear from you !

If it is not forbidden, can I suggest that you take a look over at accurateshooter.com where I posted some pics in response to an OP ?

Look for a post from Gary in MD dated Nov 25 2013

His post is titled " Hunting rifle at the bench " You can do a search there using the title, if need be.

Pics of my XLR and a sample group are included in my post responses #6 & #7

My original pics are on my now dead cell phone, and the replacement battery costs have insured the phone will stay expired. I DK if I have the pics stored elsewhere ?

Anywayz.... please let me know if you can access the pics, as suggested.

With regards,
357Mag

Montana Rifle Co.

My most accurate rifle besides my 6ppc bench gun, is a montana rifle co. 6.5 creedmore. 41.5 grs. of H4350 and 142 sierra matchkings. Shot a quarter of an in. 3 shot group. They went out of business. Glad I got one before they folded. Doug

Alinwa -

Howdy ! Nice to hear from you !

If it is not forbidden, can I suggest that you take a look over at accurateshooter.com where I posted some pics in response to an OP ?

Look for a post from Gary in MD dated Nov 25 2013

His post is titled " Hunting rifle at the bench " You can do a search there using the title, if need be.

Pics of my XLR and a sample group are included in my post responses #6 & #7

My original pics are on my now dead cell phone, and the replacement battery costs have insured the phone will stay expired. I DK if I have the pics stored elsewhere ?

Anywayz.... please let me know if you can access the pics, as suggested.

With regards,
357Mag

"it is forbidden" LOL

I am BANNED FOREVER

I hurt Paul in heem tummy and he don' let me in the door no more cuz I'm mean an' DAN'rous..... I can though get one of my nicer friends to arrange to have them displayed for me. They'll put 'er up on the bigscreen if I want......

I must check your innovation out cuz

it's what i DO :)

I love innovation and people who think outside the box

My most accurate rifle besides my 6ppc bench gun, is a montana rifle co. 6.5 creedmore. 41.5 grs. of H4350 and 142 sierra matchkings. Shot a quarter of an in. 3 shot group. They went out of business. Glad I got one before they folded. Doug

And there's the root of the question.... "Is that a factory rifle?"

Or hybrid?

Or full-on custom?

I have rifles assembled by Time Precision, Smith OSOK, Borden Rifles and a couple other BR Gunbuilders whom I'll not name for fear of asphyxiation by association and I don't consider them to be "Factory Hybrid"

For me

Sako M995 in 30-06. Nothing done to it at all. 150 Nosler Ballistic tips with H4350 and 165 Nosler Partitions with RL 22, would print exactly same place with no scope adjustment. Sold it as stopped hunting. Bad move.

Currently it is a Rem 700 Tactical. Only change is a Jewell HVR. For a fast twist it, it can stack 40gr Blitz Kings and 40 gr Bergers on a good day. I also shoot 52gr Sierra Match Kings if I shoot it in Factory class score shoots.

Sako M995 in 30-06. Nothing done to it at all. 150 Nosler Ballistic tips with H4350 and 165 Nosler Partitions with RL 22, would print exactly same place with no scope adjustment. Sold it as stopped hunting. Bad move.

Currently it is a Rem 700 Tactical. Only change is a Jewell HVR. For a fast twist it, it can stack 40gr Blitz Kings and 40 gr Bergers on a good day. I also shoot 52gr Sierra Match Kings if I shoot it in Factory class score shoots.

My Bro-In-Law useta' hade a Sako 30-06 badged as "made by Beretta" that shot incredible.

'course he sold it.

and regrets it.

forbidden zone

Alinwa -

Howdy !

Well... if you were able to acceess the first batch of pics, then.....time again to enter..... " the forbidden zone " ....

accurateshooter.com post there dated 08 Oct 2013 made by AKshooter titled " General thoughts on free float-1.25 barrel "

Pics attached to post responses #12-17 are of my " H " beam rifle, which is also described in my post response #8

Doo-DEE-doo-doo.....Doo-DEE-doo-doo......

WIth regards,
357Mag

Alinwa -

Howdy !

Well... if you were able to acceess the first batch of pics, then.....time again to enter..... " the forbidden zone " ....

accurateshooter.com post there dated 08 Oct 2013 made by AKshooter titled " General thoughts on free float-1.25 barrel "

Pics attached to post responses #12-17 are of my " H " beam rifle, which is also described in my post response #8

Doo-DEE-doo-doo.....Doo-DEE-doo-doo......

WIth regards,
357Mag

Nope, I haven't seen any pictures..... I can't even THINK about going on to Accurate Shooter or they start lobbing shots over my bow.

I

Am

FORBIDDEN

for EVER!!

LOL

Alinwa -

Howdy !

" Was it something you said ?! " HAAAaaaaa !!

I'll see if I can figure out how to get some pics posted here.

" Today is only yesterday's tommorrow "

And...... Don't exaggerate ! I've told you a thousand times !!

With regards,
357Mag

stock rifle

Alinwa, I see what ya mean. That Montana rifle aint showroom stock. Thats why theres so many different classes whether your shooting or drag racing. My best shooting showroom stock would probably be a 85 sako 22-250 or a 77v 220 swift both under .5 but not the one holers you get from the hot rods. Doug

factory..bone stock no up grade no work at home
armalite ar10(t)......7.62
berger 175's at 200 yards 1/2"
24" bbl pre law suit match trigger
but ammo has to be 2.96 in length due to gi throat.
not from a mag
hornady 130 from a mag gets close to the throat and shoot well

Last edited:
" H " beam stock

Alinwa-

Howdy !

Gonna try to attach pics of my " H " beam bolt gun. If it works, I'll try to send pics of my M-336 XLR w/ " barrel clamp / bi-pod mount.

Please refer attachments.....

View attachment 25319

" H "beam rifle pic w/ scope

Alinwa -

Howdy, again !

Here's a more recent pic of the rifle w/ my new T-36 XR w/ 2.5X optical booster.

Please refer attached...

With regards,

357Mag

Back