What is the most accurate factory rifle you've owned?

That is interesting info Asa Yam. Was the CR attachment really a brake? It had no holes, so I am confused.

But of more interest, how did your Model 70 BOSS shoot compared to factory rifles of 30 years ago?

The CR has four holes at the muzzle end and is called a "brake" by Browning. A picture of one is attached in post # 25 in the thread http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?102916-source-for-large-dia-benchrest-muzzle-brakes.

The rifle shoots tight with the brake tuned, easily sub-MOA even with Remington Core-Lock 150 grain ammo. Same ammo in an unmodified 1903A1 Springfield shoots far looser. Yes, the BOSS and the BOSS CR work to reduce group sizes.

The most accurate factory rifle I have owned is my Cooper Varminter 223, it is good for sub 1/2" groups for 5 shots at 100 yds day after day. For a mass manufactured rifle it would be a Tikka Continental Varminter in 223, which like a fool I sold, the T3 Tikka sporter I now have is almost as good though and a lot easier to carry.

drover

T3 223 Rem - 5 shot group @ 100 yds

My Sako A1 22PPC.

It's an real 1/4" five shot factory rifle. The only thing I've done is pillar bed it, adjust the factory target trigger and a little bit of load work.

Amazing rifles, these Sako A1's. -Al

oxUYTfal.jpg

ZDzGRITl.jpg

I know you also had to do your part but that is a great group....fair piece of lumber too.

Mort

groups

I love it when you get a BR group out of a sporter or varmint. I know they wont do it for 25 shots but its a big talking point around here. I shot a quarter in. group with my sporter I deer hunt with the other day. Good group buddy. Doug

Mine is a Krico 600 in 308 Win

I bought this rifle in W. Germany. It shoots lights out when loaded with Varget and a 165 gr. BTSP. It resembles a Remington action and it is buttery smooth!

Phil aka Tazzman

CVA single shot

Alinwa -

Howdy !

Been trying to send you some pics of my CVA " Hunter " single shot .35 Remington. I have mounted the barrelled action inside of a " Quad rail " exoskeleton.

If these pics get through, I'd be happy to fill in any extra info I can.

20220529_164046 (2).jpg

With regards,
357Mag

Cva

Alinwa -

Howdy, again !

Looks like I finally got some pics through. Some info.....

The set of rings were just lying around, so I am using them to help set the dimensions of my ( upcoming ) homemade butt stock.
My intent is for the butt stock design to especially accomodate the Rt earcup of my head muffs while I shoot, while the rings will be fairly high.

I also want to add wt to the rifle. My original thought was to use the hollow factory butt stock filled w/ clay. I'm still thinking over potential materiels, and designs.

The aluminum adapter seen inside the exoskeleton was machined from an 1" ID X 1 1/2" OD extruded tube. A local machine shop honed the ID of the adapter to make it more uniform, and also did a very slight uniforming on the OD. You might note a small amount of upward angle on the barrel vs center line of the exoskeleton. This was a result of the aluminum tube's manufacturing process, and not something the machine shop did. This upward cant just might allow me to fore go use of a custom M.O.A. type scope base. I had been thinking I might need some minutes in the scope base I eventually use, but now think the built-in upward muzzle angle might prove to be enough; when pressing .35 Remington shots further out there.

I chose the exoskeleton length mostly for asthetics. I could have gone further aft on the upper and side rail surfaces, but wanted to ensure I maintained good clearance around the breech end and the extractor. The lower aft portion of the exeoskeleton has been cut away to prevent interference w/ action opening/closing.

I simplified the bi-pod's mounting method, and my butt stock will incorporate an aft adjustable " mono-pod ".

The 2X-boosted T-36 will be most likley be earnarked for this gun.

With regards,
357Mag

Looks to me as though you have some fun on your hands!!

What a cool looking gizmo. It will be an interesting exercise getting the stock firmly affixed to avoid vibration

:)

al

so much for sammi chambers

My Bro-In-Law useta' hade a Sako 30-06 badged as "made by Beretta" that shot incredible.

'course he sold it.

and regrets it.

thought you said tight necks mean everything AL... guess not. Sako is the best off the shelf factory rifle that's any where affordable close to a custom gun.

At least some of it will come down to how you decide what is a "factory rifle."

Is a rifle with a Panda action a 'factory rifle.'

I expected it to be the CZ 527 in .223 that I recently sold. I was surprised to find my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger is far more accurate than was the CZ. Out to 300 yards, the Hawkeye has proven to be 1 MOA right out of the box, shooting Fiocchi Extrema 32 gr V-Max. If the rain ever lets up, I will be starting some load development. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• Hawkeye.jpg
    Hawkeye.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 4
Back