What is the appeal of F Class?

Part of the appeal of F-Class

is that you can start out by shooting what you probably already have.

You can shoot F-Class with any cartridge that's .35 caliber or below, provided you're shooting a bullet that can reliably hit the target at whatever distance you're shooting at. I'm glossing over the rules about F-Open and F-TR rifles, maximum weights, etc., but you can read all about it starting at page 67 of the rule book: http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/2018-hpr-book.pdf.

For example: if someone has a .223 with a barrel twist that stabilizes bullets in, say, the 69-80 gr. range, a Harris bipod, a sandbag or even a beanbag to stabilize the rear (or they can just use their hand if they want), and a riflescope or spotting scope that can resolve a 1.5-inch diameter spotting disc at 600 yards, then they can shoot F-Class. A mat or thick blanket is good, too, so you're more comfortable in position. You don't need to spend $5000+ on a custom gun, scope, fancy front rest, etc. And if that hypothetical shooter enjoys it and wants to do better, he or she can rebarrel that .223 with a custom barrel. At 600 yards, a 24X scope and a rifle that shoots in the .3s will be competitive.

In other words, F-Class has a low barrier to entry.

Yes, shooting F-Class is easier than shooting with sling and jacket, but that doesn't mean it's easy to win. A benchrest rifle is the epitome of something that's easy to shoot, but it's still hard to win a benchrest match. And while attaining a good F-Class position is easier than attaining a good sling position (not to mention being easier on the body), shooting a good score in F-Class still requires a good position, trigger control, wind reading, and shot strategy.

After spending some Georgia summers shooting with sling and jacket on an uncovered firing line, I made F-Class my summer highpower sport and enjoy it immensely.

I'm wit you Jackie

I am 71, and while the FC has appeal, too many broke bones from earlier in life endevourss and too many SS screws holding things together preclude me from shooting prone.

I suppose that is why I enjoy Benchrest.

I shot a couple of CMP matches and couldn't get up from the prone position without help and was very uncomfortable when in the prone position, which was the genesis of my question I guess. Don't know why people would want to be uncomfortable when they were shooting or better said, shoot at something that was uncomfortable.

Pete

I used to do push-ups and thought I liked it. Last time I tried it I fell on my face and almost broke my nose.

Went skiing last year for the first time in about 8 years. I learned the meaning of "I've fallen and I can't get up."

The irony of F-class is that when you are old enough to see it as a good alternative to Service Rifle Across the Course, you may be too old to want to shoot from your belly at all.

I'm not ashamed of liking a solid bench, a good seat and a roof to keep the sun off. My dermatologist now has me on 6 months recall for the rest of my life.

Attraction of F-Class

I shot High Power across the course with a Grand from the mid 80's till mid 2000's. Finally couldn't see the front sight, cataract but didn't know it then, so I scoped it and continued the local matches, which they let me shoot just not eligible for trophies, no scopes then. Got tired of getting beaten up by the Garand, it made my nick hurt after every match. so quit. Kind of enjoyed the comradary of the pits then.
Read about benchrest for years, in Precision Rifle, and was intrigued by it. But knew I didn't have the time, money or patience to shoot, or reload for it, at anything but the duffer level. Then F-Class came along. I like the idea of shooting farther and shooting with great precision and accuracy at the same time. I only get to shoot at the local club 300 yd matches, time and money again. but love it and the challenge, Doesn't beat me up like the 30-06 either.
1st rifle at a match? 6.5x55 Swede with a Choate sporter stock and a 7x scope. Used a sand bag on top of a tool box for a front rest and a sand bag at rear. No I didn't win. But I had a ball. Found the guys were fun, helpful and welcoming. Shot it a few times. Then due to job changes couldn't for few years. Returned with a Ruger No. 1 in 6mm Remington. Another uncommon rifle on the F-class line. It's an accurate rifle but that sporter forend made precision tough. But I really enjoy shooting a Ruger No 1. BTW during all this I was learning bunches about precision reloading too. Then I stumbled on my dream rifle a f-class stocked Ruger No. 1 in 6.5 Grendel. Always been intrigued by the cartridge and now have it in a rifle I love to shoot. That's what I shoot in our local matches. Haven't won any but that's not beyond possibility as I get better on the bags and now have a much better front rest and scope than before. Local matches a perfect score is 300-30x End of last year shot a 296-7x hit 292-11x this year so far.
Attraction? Enter with anything you want. Shoot your best. Learning the techniques. The people. At 69 I can still lay down and get up on the line. The challenge. We now use electronic targets - No pits! I can shoot in the shade, if I bring my own. Can I out shoot myself last week. Oh yeah, matches only an hour from home.
Thought about going over and shooting a benchrest match. But what do I do when they say to remove the bolt from your rifle? Mine doesn't have a bolt. :)

Back in the 60s, I shot 50 foot RF and still have all those shinny metals. Then when the program was made available I started shooting 500 yard Prone, Sitting and Offhand with a Springfield O3-A3 and metal sights, until we were able to buy guns through the government. Still have my M-1 Garand National Match that I paid $25.00 for and the M-1 Carbine that was $15.00, plus we got 300 rounds of .30-06 Match Ammo a season free. Got me into longer range shooting.

My understanding is that only SOME Palma matches restrict projectile weight to 155 grains, though some matches require that you shot the ammunition they supply so that every one is working with the same ammo. I had a Palm Rifle Built and though it is now 5 years old, I have yet to shoot it, but I have shot my F-Class rifle in a military caliber (.308) so it can shot in more than one class as I understand.

Then I have a 1,000 yard bench rest rifle and custom builds for 100, 200, 300 and RF too. Never shot in a sanctioned match though, but like to beat the guys at my local club shooting with their hunting rifles. And I have had fun shooting at Cherry Ridge during Bob White and Harley Baker's Benrest Seminars. Maybe after this Covid thing really calms down I will finally get together with Harley at Mid-South Jersey Rifle Club to have a one on one training session.

Then there is Bullseye Pistol, which I should with a number of different pistols, and Free Pistol - Who would ever want to take 2 hours to shoot 60 rounds of Rim Fire Pistol?

What does that leave. I do shoot registered Skeet, some trap, some bunker trap, some sporting clays and some 5 stand.

Not great at any of these, but since I retired, I have more time to shoot and every new game I try gives me a reason to buy or have built a new firearm. How does the saying go? "Jack of All Trades, Master of None!" That's me.

And F Class did give me an excuse to buy a set of optional F Class Feet for my SEB NEO rest!

Just like how the world is changing, my shooting is all about Diversity!

Bob

Last edited:
can someone answer three questions regarding f-class please?

1. What does a typical match consist of? (scoped rifle kind of f-class)
quick description of what position, yardages, number of shots,
times at the firing line, target types, scoring, target feedback etc.?

2. Where are some ranges where these matches are shot in the md, pa, de area?
(links to range websites that might have match dates?)

3. Are any association memberships required to compete in a match, or just entry fees?

4. Link to a website that has the above information?
(i’ve googled and not been able to get good info.)

thank you.
check benchrest central

Appeal of F-class

F-class has provided with the opportunity when health reason stopped me from shooting across the course or sling prone. I enjoy shooting and it provides me an outlet.

Since moving to F-class, i have learned more about reloading for accuracy, wind reading, and the importance of having an accurate rifle.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike Landolfi
Maine

Our little "group" shoots F Class on my private range mostly at 300 yards using the reduced 600 yard targets. We do on occasion shoot out to 900 with the big shoot-nc targets. As someone mentioned earlier you can basically use whatever rife you have (one guy shoots his .270 deer rifle!). We enjoy the social aspect (match followed by cooking something!) and our priority is to have fun. One thing that we have done lately is reduce the number of shots per relay to 10 plus sighters. Some of the guys shoot factory ammo so if they have their "ducks in a row" they can shoot two relays with a box of ammo. Ten shots in fifteen minutes. Most of us now agree that with the current climate of limited ammo and components that shooting 20 rounds per relay is a bit silly. If you can't keep 10 rounds in the 9 or 10 ring then ten more shots is not going to help you .:D Ten rounds makes for a more fun relay as well as saving time, ammo, and barrel life. Let's face it folks, things may or may not go back to the way they were. Sometimes we have to be a bit flexible. Anyway, we enjoy shooting F class because it is easy for everyone to compete, and now with our 10 round/relay it doesn't hurt as bad with the ammo situation.

Back