What is the appeal of F Class?

Pete Wass

I have asked this question in the past and did not receive an answer. What do people competing in F Class find appealing about it? How did you become interested in it and once involved, what kept your interest? Not trying to be a wet blanket but just a curiosity I have had for a long time.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, this is my take on F-class. I don’t shoot it exactly, but I have helped run our clubs F-class matches for a number of years by keeping the stats and helping to score when needed. What I do shoot is what we call G-class or F-class from a bench (we do 300 and 600 yard matches). I have seen it refered to as F-bench on occasion. Some of us are just too old to shoot prone.

We tried shooting 600 yard benchrest matches for one summer, but they did not go over very well. What i disliked about benchrest style shooting is no feedback on each shot. After the sighter period the record target is run up and you shoot 10 shots and wait for your target to see how you did. It seemed to boil down to how fast can you load and shoot before the conditions change. In F-class each shot is scored and marked. This instant feedback makes it easier for the beginer to learn wind reading and mirage skills that you don’t get from benchrest style shooting.

That’s one opinion, anyway.

Essentially, yes. The gun still needs to be fairly accurate, but after a certain point, having a gun that shoots 0.2 instead of 0.3 becomes a moot point. Taking that 0.3 gun and going out and practicing in different conditions will do way more for your score agg than shaving that extra 0.1 off your group size.

Plus, with the longer strings (15-20 shots) it becomes more difficult to shoot them all in one condition. (difficult, but not impossible - depends on the range/location) To not just put them in a small group, but in a specific small area... despite shifting mirage, lighting changes, wind changes, having to pick up and move your gear between relays and yard lines, and limited # of sighters (depending on the venue)... it takes some of the emphasis off the loading bench and puts it back on the shooter reading the conditions accurately. Good gun handling is a must regardless whether shooting from the bench or the ground.

Then you have some masochists that actually enjoy handicapping themselves as far as caliber and/or rests i.e. F/TR vs. F-Open. Still very accurate guns, kind of like Hunter BR vs. Varmint For Score, but it adds some additional level of difficulty to the gun handling aspect.

I got into benchrest about 10 years ago after shooting Palma for many years. Palma is shooting prone at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. You generally wear a thick heavy shooting jacket, sling and glove. Not great at 90 degrees plus. Your gun was bolt action .308 shooting a 155 grn bullet. And you used metallic match sights. Also, you had to take your turn in the pits heaving huge target frames up and down and marking and repairing them. One year while at a Palma match at the Whittington Center I noticed that there was activity at the Coors Range and decided I needed to see what was going on. I had a free day as I wasn't shooting on a team so I went to the Coors Range to see what was going on. I went into the building and saw shooters reloading, shooting the bull and generally having a good time in the shade. When it was time for them to shoot, they took a few rounds and their gun to the covered bench and fired their shots in a few minutes and then go back into the building while some one else took care of their targets. So I said to myself, self, I think these guys broke the code here. Within a couple of months I bought some used equipment at the Coors and got started in benchrest.

However, before leaving Palma shooting I observed that some F-class shooters had started participating in the Palma matches. I think one of the factors that got some of these guys into F-class was the ability to use scopes. Also, no shooting coat, sling or bullet weight restriction. There were many things that had to be considered when having both types of shooting in the same match but they were eventually worked out. I'm considering getting my Palma rifle configured for F-class. My eyesight is such that I can't see through match sights anymore and I'm having to put scopes on all my guns. Another factor is the basic difference between shooting for a group and shooting to hit a point. After shooting benchrest for about ten years I think I plateaued about six years ago. Early on I won a little wood but nothing substantial. I still shoot benchrest because I enjoy it and the people involved. But in a game where .0003 can make the difference between 1st and 5th I don't hold my breathe about ever winning a match. I've got a lot of other guns that are gathering dust and I intend to use them in the F-class environment. The only problem is that I haven't tried to shoot on my belly in over ten years. I've had both knees replaced and six lag bolts screwed into my lower back, so I'm not sure I can do that either. As soon as the weather breaks I'm going to give it a try.

Need mo information

What are some of the more popular calibers for F-Open? Are there guys that shoot F-TR and F-Open during the same match or do you shoot just 1 class?
How many rounds do you shoot at each yardage?
What’s the cost to shoot on average?
I think I have some of the gear and only need to pickup a mat, and a scope stand and of course a new barrel for one of my benchrest rifles.
What’s the max weight for an F open rifle?

...I think I have some of the gear and only need to pickup a mat, and a scope stand and of course a new barrel for one of my benchrest rifles.
Your questions can be answered (in writing) by looking at the NRA Highpower rulebook at http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf .
NOTE: While there is a separate section for F-Class in the rulebook, parts of the ENTIRE rulebook still apply to F-Class.
Best place for answering equipment questions is at a match, or better yet, after the match at the local "watering hole".

An additional benefit of attending a match: You may find that some has an extra rifle, ammo, or additional gear which they are more than willing to loan you to get you to try the sport. (BE CAREFUL!!! It's addictive!)

Best of luck in getting started.

What are some of the more popular calibers for F-Open? Are there guys that shoot F-TR and F-Open during the same match or do you shoot just 1 class?
How many rounds do you shoot at each yardage?
What’s the cost to shoot on average?
I think I have some of the gear and only need to pickup a mat, and a scope stand and of course a new barrel for one of my benchrest rifles.

Usually shoot 20 rounds plus 2 sighters which are convertible. Match fees vary dependent on location and length of match. For example the F-Class National Championship held at the NRA Whittington Center was a four day match and match fee was $200.00 Here's a link to the program for this match which is going on right now. http://www.baldeaglesrc.org/resources/Documents/2018 Matches/2018FCNLR(rev.2132018).pdf

I think F-class is one of the great shooting sports, although I was never very good at it. I have learned more about rifles and ammo and reloading from bench rest, and I think any potential F-class shooter would benefit from some bench rest experience.

I quit F-class because of skin cancer and because I moved farther from the venue. The pace of the day was a factor too. 8 hours in the sun and always rushing between yardages and the pits so we could be done by 4 PM. It made my real job (programming) seem like more fun. When the requirement came down to pre-register for every match, that sort of put the finishing touches on it. Bench rest and egg shoots are more fun for me and not as exhausting.

More power to the guys still doing it. I think the under-50 crowd will get more out of it than the over-60 crowd.

I think F-class is one of the great shooting sports, although I was never very good at it. I have learned more about rifles and ammo and reloading from bench rest, and I think any potential F-class shooter would benefit from some bench rest experience.

Couldn't agree more. I wish I had the knowledge I've gained in benchrest when I was shooting Palma and Fullbore. I may not get far in F-class now as I turn 78 tomorrow.

As Lou wrote “All the people are great. And they mark every shot you make.” I shot a bit of LR BR back when and even set a 5-shot NBRSA 1k record in 1999. Have also shot NMC, Palma, 3 Postion, air rifle and MS, plus various shotgun disciplines. In 1999 I switched from Palma to FC and haven’t looked back. I enjoy the challenge of putting a bullet into a 5” X-ring circle. Hopefully 20 times in a row someday! I like the feedback we get from the target as opposed to none from LR BR shooting. The challenge of reading the wind over 20 shots, while waiting on the target to come back out of the pits to show you how your last shot was placed makes it a never changing chore. The plus, as Lou wrote is the people! Having shot FC all over the world I can say the people are the same. Great!
BTW, I am 77, going on 107 and still win my share.

I am 71, and while the FC has appeal, too many broke bones from earlier in life endevourss and too many SS screws holding things together preclude me from shooting prone.

I suppose that is why I enjoy Benchrest.

I have asked this question in the past and did not receive an answer. What do people competing in F Class find appealing about it? How did you become interested in it and once involved, what kept your interest? Not trying to be a wet blanket but just a curiosity I have had for a long time. Thanks, Pete

I can drive for three hours from where I live and, as far as I know, not find any open-to-the-public rifle-based matches other than the occasional three gun events, something which holds no interest for an old guy well into his 70's, with the exception of one club which holds a monthly 600 BR event. Truth be told, it's not one of those anal style BR matches. Many of the same people from the Saturday F class match come back on Sunday to shoot their F class rifles from a bench. Nobody has ever reloaded on the firing line, for example, so it's not ultra serious BR shooting.

So if you're not into running around, F class is the only event nearby my house where I can test my marksmanship. Quite a few ranges hold monthly matches at both 600 and 1000 yards.

Full disclosure: Most places I shoot F class will also accommodate prone sling shooters. But very few guys are insane enough to don that heavy coat in 90 degree weather and 70% humidity and those who do are required to be returned to the mental institution before sundown. I don't even like to look at those jackets so for me and anyone I know, sling shooting is out of the question.

Bottom line: I shoot F class because for guys like me who are either too old for 3 gun shooting or don't find that kind of competition appealing, F class is the only way we can compete.

Last edited:
F-Class Questions

Can someone answer three questions regarding F-Class please?

1. What does a typical match consist of? (scoped rifle kind of F-Class)
Quick description of what position, yardages, number of shots,
times at the firing line, target types, scoring, target feedback etc.?

2. Where are some ranges where these matches are shot in the MD, PA, DE area?
(Links to range websites that might have match dates?)

3. Are any association memberships required to compete in a match, or just entry fees?

4. Link to a website that has the above information?
(I’ve Googled and not been able to get good info.)

Thank you.

While there are dedicated F-Class matches, most events are fired alongside NRA Prone Matches. Courses of fire are typically identical to those fired by prone shooters.

Your questions can be answered (in writing) by looking at the NRA Highpower rulebook at http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf .
NOTE: While there is a separate section for F-Class in the rulebook, parts of the ENTIRE rulebook still apply to F-Class.

A list of upcoming NRA Highpower matches can be found at https://www.ssusa.org/coming-events/. Hope this helps.

1. What does a typical match consist of? (scoped rifle kind of F-Class)
Quick description of what position, yardages, number of shots,
times at the firing line, target types, scoring, target feedback etc.?

This varies somewhat because of distances available, what country you're in, and then the local 'flavor'.

Highpower Rifle (and by extension, F-class) matches can be held at ranges varying from 300 yds on out to 1000yds, in general practice. Technically there are some HP matches at even shorter distances, but F-class switches to rimfire under 300yds, as its too hard to score otherwise.

One range may only have 300yds, and no 'pits', so they might have what we call 'walk-n-paste' matches - they put up two target bulls for the shooter - one for their 'sighter' shots (might be a shoot-n-c or something similar) and then a regular 'official' MR63-FC target. For 'mid' range (600 yds and less) you get basically (up to) one minute per record shot. So if the string of fire is 2 sighters and 20 record shots, then you get 22 minutes to shoot. You can shoot as slow or as fast as you wish inside that 'block' of time. Then they go down and either pull down the targets for scoring, or paste them up (if you didn't do so good) and walk back. Hence 'walk-n-paste'. Everybody shoots usually at least three strings, rotating so that your equipment gets a chance to cool off, and everybody gets their turn in the barrel as far as wind ;)

Another range might only have 500yds, but they have target pits (carrier mechanisms on which the targets can be raised up from behind a protective berm). Here, they'll probably split the shooters into three groups - one to shoot, one in the pits to run the targets, and one on the line behind/beside the shooter to keep score. The shooter gets the same amount of time, but now when they fire the shot, the person in the pits will pull the target down, insert a scoring plug / marker, move a value disc along the perimeter of the target frame, and run it back up. The person scoring will announce the score, and record it on the score card, and then the shooter fires again. The person in the pits pulls the scoring plug, puts a paster over that hole, puts the scoring plug in the new hole, moves the value disc accordingly, and runs the target back up. On average, that little 'cycle' takes about 10-15 seconds, each shot. If you have someone exceptionally fit and motivated, it might be as little as 5 seconds (if you put all your shots in the 'X', they don't have to hunt around for the hole or move the value disc, so...) or if you have a new shooter who hasn't worked out an economical series of motions or you're slinging them all over the place in the wind and they have to go hunting for the hole every shot... it may take 20-30 seconds. Again, similar course of fire - 2 sighters, and 20 shots for record. Each shooter typically fires three strings, so there will be a rotation so everybody shoots, everybody scores, and everybody pulls targets.

At longer distances you get 1.5 minutes per round for your record shots, and possibly multiple distances. One common course of fire is called 'Palma' and involves sighters plus 15 record shots each at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Others may be a Palma course, followed by another 20 shot string @ 1000. Yet other ranges or matches may be just 2 or 3 strings of 20 @ 1000 yds.

Hopefully you begin to see why there isn't really one comprehensive 'this is it' description - there are just too many variations. Throw in that some matches may not have enough shooters show up one day to have three relays, only two... so they have to score in the pits (you're not allowed to score for your self, obviously), where another might have so many shooters they have to work 4, 5 or 6 relays and *someone* has to herd that batch of cats through out the day...

As far as scoring, the targets are generally decimal targets with a 1/2 moa X-ring that serves primarily as a tie breaker. Then a 1 moa 10-ring, a 2-moa 9 ring, etc. The exact dimensions are listed in the NRA rulebooks. If the shot touches the line, the shooter gets the next higher value. The scoring rings run from 10/X down through 5; anything outside a 5 is considered a 'miss' and is scored as zero points. In reference to the X being for ties, it goes like this: if competitor A shoots a 200-5X, and competitor B fires a 200-9X, they both shot a 'clean' (no points dropped) but the higher X-count wins. If competitor C fires a 199-12X... they still come in third, because they didn't 'clean' the target (i.e. they dropped a point).

2. Where are some ranges where these matches are shot in the MD, PA, DE area?
(Links to range websites that might have match dates?)

I'd start off contacting the state NRA affiliate in those states. They can probably point you towards the person or persons running the state Highpower Rifle match schedule (if they have one) and they *should* be able to get you in touch with local ranges hosting matches.

Next best bet:
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...-shoot-spreadsheet-rev-20-12-24-2015.3787129/
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/where-to-shoot-fclass-this-weekend.3948195/

Lots of posts (pages) to wade thru, but it should give you some idea.

Short version... asking about F-class on 'Benchrest Central' isn't really your best source of information. 'Benchrest' and 'NRA' are two entirely different worlds, however much it might *look* like there are similarities.

3. Are any association memberships required to compete in a match, or just entry fees?

Again, it varies. Local club matches that are either NRA 'Approved' or not sanctioned at all, may or may not require NRA membership. It is usually strongly encouraged, as they are the sanctioning body, and $4.50 of your entry fee will be forwarded to them for record keeping, etc.

Larger events that are 'NRA Registered' matches usually require membership in the the state NRA affiliate association (in my case, Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association) and/or that of *your* state association if you are from a nearby state (i.e. Oregon Shooting Sports Association, etc.). NRA membership is again not 100% required.... but the only place you can set national records is in an NRA Registered event... and if you're not an NRA *member*... well, hopefully you can figure that part out ;)

4. Link to a website that has the above information?
(I’ve Googled and not been able to get good info.)

There is no one unifying place that has *all* the match info, *and* a comprehensive description, *and* is willing to answer any and all questions you might have.

The closest you are going to find is going to be the forums @ accurateshooter.com.

Thank you all for the information.
I understand Bridgeville DE just had an F-Class meet with 600 & 1000 yardages. I will likely head that way for the next scheduled F-Class event.

Even though

F class is shot prone, the rifle is supported by a front rest and rear sandbag....a far cry from real prone shooting where your arms and hands support the rifle.

F class is shot prone, the rifle is supported by a front rest and rear sandbag....a far cry from real prone shooting where your arms and hands support the rifle.

Spare me...

And Moto GP is a far cry from the Tour de France where your legs pedal the cycle........

Two different games..no more..no less.

Back