West Texas Rail Gun

Glenn,
We could sure use some warm weather. Morning is cold and day fair, The upper half of Texas as you know goes warm and cold every day. I am enjoying a round of diabetic problems but sure want to get out for a few rounds with the rail and new handloads. What are the best loads you guys using the 6 mm Rem B, R. getting. I have an old Hodgdon #26 manual that I have been using. I feel there have been changes in the load and bullets since the Hodgdon manual. Competition doesn't stand still. Skip

6mmBR

Glenn,
We could sure use some warm weather. Morning is cold and day fair, The upper half of Texas as you know goes warm and cold every day. I am enjoying a round of diabetic problems but sure want to get out for a few rounds with the rail and new handloads. What are the best loads you guys using the 6 mm Rem B, R. getting. I have an old Hodgdon #26 manual that I have been using. I feel there have been changes in the load and bullets since the Hodgdon manual. Competition doesn't stand still. Skip

Hi Skip,Check your mail. Crappy weather here also, wishing you a speedy recovery from that little set back. The link has some info on
The 6MMBR.

Glenn

Glenn
You lost me on the mail note?? I can't find any reference on this program where to go for your information. I am afraid I could use your help again. Skip

Computers !!!:D, understood. Double click on this link. https://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html.

Glenn

Glenn, Thanks ever so much. This data is great. All I need now is some Varget and a few others to make things work. Where is all the handloading components going?? All I can get is backorder, out, No backorder and nothing etc. We gotta have powder and primers to make things work?? Thanks again for the help. Best ever. Skip

Glenn, Thanks ever so much. This data is great. All I need now is some Varget and a few others to make things work. Where is all the handloading components going?? All I can get is backorder, out, No backorder and nothing etc. We gotta have powder and primers to make things work?? Thanks again for the help. Best ever. Skip

Skip, they're 8.4 million new gun owners in 2020 and 5.4 million new ones in 2021. That is close to 14 million new owners.If each new person bought only 1 box of 20 rounds (rifle) or 50rds (pistol), it would be an additional 280 million rounds (rifle) or 700 million rounds (pistol). That is just the new guys. Now add us old guys and you see the amount of supplies used.

Supply and Demand

Hey Skip....Yes,”Economics 101”, “Supply and Demand”. Politically driven by the 2008 Election. A widespread Fear of Gun confiscation. 14 years ago. A fear that continues today. In 2008, I remember driving 171 miles, to a, small Town, Walmart Store and waiting in line, for the doors to open. You had to get there real early. The ammo on the shelves ran out, before the first ten hoarders left the counter. “The early bird got the worm”. I got there early enough to score a good supply of 22 Rim fire ammo.

Not much has changed since 2008. Every time there is a mass shooting, there is a renewed fear of Gun confiscation. I see where Powder Valley is rationing the amount of some supplies, to prevent hoarding.

I have a 6BR hunting Rifle, 1-8 twist. Ran out of Varget, but IMR 4895 works just fine for my purposes. I suspect that the situation, brewing in Ukraine, will somehow add to the negative impact on the availability of shooting components. You got plenty primers?

Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn,
You hit the nail on the head. Before the last round of world problems I was an active dealer/mfg and FFL holder, as many of you probably are or were. As a mfg the supplies began to dry up until there was nothing but backorders. My major distributors went bankrupt, sold out, and etc. I know many are just getting by trying to stay in business. Power to them. It takes deep pockets to stay the course. When the customer base dries up you have to make some changes. I plan to take the rail out to the range, fire ONE shot on the benchrest target, have a quite moment with the rail, it must understand that its job is to put all the shots in One hole. Best ever, Skip

Glenn

Hey Skip....Yes,”Economics 101”, “Supply and Demand”. Politically driven by the 2008 Election. A widespread Fear of Gun confiscation. 14 years ago. A fear that continues today. In 2008, I remember driving 171 miles, to a, small Town, Walmart Store and waiting in line, for the doors to open. You had to get there real early. The ammo on the shelves ran out, before the first ten hoarders left the counter. “The early bird got the worm”. I got there early enough to score a good supply of 22 Rim fire ammo.

Not much has changed since 2008. Every time there is a mass shooting, there is a renewed fear of Gun confiscation. I see where Powder Valley is rationing the amount of some supplies, to prevent hoarding.

I have a 6BR hunting Rifle, 1-8 twist. Ran out of Varget, but IMR 4895 works just fine for my purposes. I suspect that the situation, brewing in Ukraine, will somehow add to the negative impact on the availability of shooting components. You got plenty primers?

Glenn

My line to people who come in the store asking for ammo or reloading components is exactly the same thing even though we are in Canada. The issue started about 14 years ago with an election in the US. People say what did that have to do with it then I explain it to them. The sad part is we have powder made in our own country but it cannot be sold to us. It is shipped to the US and then we have to buy it back. Makes a lot of sense does it not? We know for a fact that US based companies fill US orders before Canadian. Be nice if the powder that is manufactured up here was that way. We ha e a shot shell manufacturer 35 miles down the highway and he is even struggling to get the powder he used to from these Canadian manufacturers. It goes south first. Just my rant on powder.

With the current state in the world, and fuel prices in Canada, things are not going to get better if ever. I worry about the world that my daughter is going to have to live in. Curious what fuel is stateside. In Vancouver it has hit 2.00 per liter. 4.54 liters in our gallon. Do the math......over 9.00 per gallon and we have TONS of oil up here. AUGHHHHHHH

Glenn,
You hit the nail on the head. Before the last round of world problems I was an active dealer/mfg and FFL holder, as many of you probably are or were. As a mfg the supplies began to dry up until there was nothing but backorders. My major distributors went bankrupt, sold out, and etc. I know many are just getting by trying to stay in business. Power to them. It takes deep pockets to stay the course. When the customer base dries up you have to make some changes. I plan to take the rail out to the range, fire ONE shot on the benchrest target, have a quite moment with the rail, it must understand that its job is to put all the shots in One hole. Best ever, Skip[/QUOTE

Skip ,let me know when you put up them one hole groups, I can help with posting the pictures:D

Glenn

Gas

My line to people who come in the store asking for ammo or reloading components is exactly the same thing even though we are in Canada. The issue started about 14 years ago with an election in the US. People say what did that have to do with it then I explain it to them. The sad part is we have powder made in our own country but it cannot be sold to us. It is shipped to the US and then we have to buy it back. Makes a lot of sense does it not? We know for a fact that US based companies fill US orders before Canadian. Be nice if the powder that is manufactured up here was that way. We ha e a shot shell manufacturer 35 miles down the highway and he is even struggling to get the powder he used to from these Canadian manufacturers. It goes south first. Just my rant on powder.

With the current state in the world, and fuel prices in Canada, things are not going to get better if ever. I worry about the world that my daughter is going to have to live in. Curious what fuel is stateside. In Vancouver it has hit 2.00 per liter. 4.54 liters in our gallon. Do the math......over 9.00 per gallon and we have TONS of oil up here. AUGHHHHHHH

https://autos.yahoo.com/u-gas-prices-skyrocketing-much-130000361.html?soc_src=yahooapp

We’re not far behind you Calvin. Texas,the biggest Oil producing State in the US. ArrrrrrH.

Glenn

Rail Gun

Hey Skip, any new updates on the new Rail Gun? It’s been so windy here,its sometimes hard to keep your hat on.

Glenn

Glenn,
Wish I could say there were many one hole groups. The weather has been warm and then cold and ugly. This old soul doesn't do cold well at all. The wife took a fall a few weeks back and broke things real good. We are house bound now for a while taking care of her. Our oldest daughter has been here helping Mom along and keeping me out of trouble. Now , how are you guys doing. How is the target work coming along. I am going to try to get a few rounds reloaded for the 6 mm B.R. and maybe a few rounds for a new 243 Win. I have just finished. The 243 is a sporter med.wt. so it could work on the coyote or prairie dog. I do have a .223 Rem. barrel job coming up if I can get a Shilen #9 twist blank. This customer is a regular that I've worked a few jobs in, so we want to get everything right on. Best ever Skip

Hey Skip. Sorry to hear about the Misses accident. Here’s wishing her a speedy recovery. One thing I’ve learned about getting old,…It doesn’t get any better. We’ve had some pretty crappy weather down here. Most are waiting for better days to get in some serious range time. Ive got lots of bullets I need to shoot before I sleep.
Looks like the machine shop work will keep you busy until things get back on track. Take care.

Glenn

Rail guns and Texas weather

For the suffering few.

We have been enjoying this Texas weather--about all we can stand. Loaded up old Red (95 Ford PU) with all the good stuff and the Rail Gun of course. A few hours after sun up. Pretty calm?? Out to the range and setting things up. A bit of a breeze as things got set up!! Got the Rail on the bench, nearly ready to go, a nice breeze out of the North. My shooting buddy heads East with the target/back stop. He is back but the breeze is blowing his hair straight out. A few words with the rail. Go for it! Three rounds down, not even on the paper target at 100 yds. Back to town. Yesterday, evening / night over 3 1/2 inches of rain. WE are elated. Skip

For the suffering few.

We have been enjoying this Texas weather--about all we can stand. Loaded up old Red (95 Ford PU) with all the good stuff and the Rail Gun of course. A few hours after sun up. Pretty calm?? Out to the range and setting things up. A bit of a breeze as things got set up!! Got the Rail on the bench, nearly ready to go, a nice breeze out of the North. My shooting buddy heads East with the target/back stop. He is back but the breeze is blowing his hair straight out. A few words with the rail. Go for it! Three rounds down, not even on the paper target at 100 yds. Back to town. Yesterday, evening / night over 3 1/2 inches of rain. WE are elated. Skip

31/2 inches? that's a LOTAWATA:D. Any flooding? heard its been an extended drought in your area.

Good to see you're out and about. Shoot some little ones. Take care.

Glenn

Back