West Texas Rail Gun

Skip 1032ax

Finally finished the 6 mm Rem. B.R. rail. My first rail project and thanks to all the guys who have written and contributed to the Form over time for all the great information and building information. When you are building from scratch all the information you can get is necessary. It shoots, not all in one hole as I would like but has promise. I will try pictures if I can get this machine to cooperate. Best ever, Skip

West Texas Rail

Finally finished the 6 mm Rem. B.R. rail. My first rail project and thanks to all the guys who have written and contributed to the Form over time for all the great information and building information. When you are building from scratch all the information you can get is necessary. It shoots, not all in one hole as I would like but has promise. I will try pictures if I can get this machine to cooperate. Best ever, Skip

Skip,if you need help posting pictures of your made from scratch.”West Texas Rail Gun” send photos to ,gchism@sbcglobal.net.

I dont know about anybody else,but I would like to see the finished project designed from ideas shared on this forum. This is quite impressive to me. Congratulations.

Glenn

Rail Guns

It seems I can import photos but cannot export on this computer. Thanks Glen, I will try getting things your way. At 91 years and pushing 92 I fail to understand a lot of the new technology. I can still manage my machines OK but computers??

Photo

It seems I can import photos but cannot export on this computer. Thanks Glen, I will try getting things your way. At 91 years and pushing 92 I fail to understand a lot of the new technology. I can still manage my machines OK but computers??

Skip,I can certainly relate to your problem.;) If you can send a photo from a mobile device(Phone) to my mail address, I think I can help get it posted.

Glenn

Glenn,
Thanks for the help. It turns out that I must have a Micro pass word?? That was filled yesterday and the photos sent to you. I hope this worked. Skip

Built from scratch Rail Gun

This project began back in August 2021. The builder Dave Wyer,recently finished this project using design ideas provided by forum members. Dave is 91 years young and is a retired secondary School Educator. He’s interested in any forum suggestions/recommendations that might be added to his first attempt at building a Rail Gun.
mabJ2sN.jpg

ln5gdAO.jpg

rfBloOe.jpg

aY3JLL2.jpg

lH5WlYN.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
My Thanks to Glenn for helping get this information and pictures. This 6 mm Rem B.R. started out a few years ago as a bench rifle and prairie dog gun. I replaced a 243 Win. Barrel action with a 1-8 twist I had just made with the 6 mm B.R. The beautiful Rail guns featured in Benchrest Central convince me that I must have one. I have been making my own barrels and stocks since the late 1960's. I was a member of the IBS organization for years and a
"Precision Shooting" reader forever. The old Rem scope in 20 power is something else. Do we have other Rem scope users and what kind of service have you had. Also, my bullet dies are B&A in .22 cal. Sharing information is still so very important to the shooting public and the very important matches. Please everyone keep it up. Skip

West Texas Rail

Hey Skip, I got some questions.

1. How much does your Rail weigh with barrel and action?
2. What are the dimensions of the bottom half.
3. What materials did you use?

Just curious.

Glenn

The total weight is about 36 lbs.This on the kitchen scale. The base is 2 ft. long x 10 inch wide x 1/2 " thick. I couldn't find a thicker or much larger base. Nearly every piece is 6061 Alum. The cam for adjusting the sighter to target is steel probably 1020. The elevation screw and nut is steel. The I beam is 2 ft. x 3 inch. The base and I beam may be a little light? The recoil seems pretty light with the light 55 gr. bullets so far. I am going to try 68 gr and 90 grain next . Best ever Skip

Managing recoil

The total weight is about 36 lbs.This on the kitchen scale. The base is 2 ft. long x 10 inch wide x 1/2 " thick. I couldn't find a thicker or much larger base. Nearly every piece is 6061 Alum. The cam for adjusting the sighter to target is steel probably 1020. The elevation screw and nut is steel. The I beam is 2 ft. x 3 inch. The base and I beam may be a little light? The recoil seems pretty light with the light 55 gr. bullets so far. I am going to try 68 gr and 90 grain next . Best ever Skip

Skip, I've got a couple 12# lead ingots with handles and rubber padded base, I set both on top of the base, one on each side. It holds down the base during recoil and handling. I also have a block of wood that I c-clamp to the front of the bench and the gun's base is squared to and pushed up against it, keeps you from shoving the base forward on the bench when returning to battery. When your trying to run off 10 shots as quickly as possible in a good condition, I tend to get a bit rough while working the bolt and getting the top back into position! We would like to have you come down some weekend to Midland to see what you have build and several of the guys here have accumulated a lot of HOF points with Unlimited guns and willing to offer advice and assistance in learning how to shoot a rail.

Thanks guys, this is good stuff. I was afraid this set up might be a little light. My shooting bench is light, but I can tie it down to the ground with an anchor (as used to tie down aircraft) screwed into the ground and a strap ran around the rail base and bench top. This took the shake out of the bench. A bit of weight as suggested and stopped boards should get it steady. I also get too rough it seems when reloading. I hope to get to Midland and Seymore one of these days, thanks. Skip

Skip, I had 3 of the Remington scopes like yours, but sold them and now have one of three and the prototype of the internal adjusted Remington scope. The external adjusted ones came from Jimmy Stekl and the internal ones came from Mike Walker. The glass in mine are very good.

Mr. Lambert,
Thanks for the information on the Rem Scope. I have had my scope on several rifles over the years. At one time I used it on my slug gun in .50 cal. that could get pretty interesting. Most slugs ran in the 450 gr.to 500 gr. cast. This is equipped with a underhammer action. The scope took the recoil OK and I thought it had a real good glass in 20 power I believe. The adj. knobs have also been very positive--a pretty good scope I thought. I am ready for some good weather to fire the 6 mm. The present load is going 3 in a nice group but 2 out for a 5 shot group. Do you go up a few grains to correct this grouping? The load is light with a 55gr. Nosler.

Mr. Lambert,
Thanks for the information on the Rem Scope. I have had my scope on several rifles over the years. At one time I used it on my slug gun in .50 cal. that could get pretty interesting. Most slugs ran in the 450 gr.to 500 gr. cast. This is equipped with a underhammer action. The scope took the recoil OK and I thought it had a real good glass in 20 power I believe. The adj. knobs have also been very positive--a pretty good scope I thought. I am ready for some good weather to fire the 6 mm. The present load is going 3 in a nice group but 2 out for a 5 shot group. Do you go up a few grains to correct this grouping? The load is light with a 55gr. Nosler.

Skip, I'm not a 6BR guy, but I believe you would be better off with a 14 twist barrel and some good 52 grain custom bullets. Looks like your Clausing is a brother of my 6914.

Mr. Lambert,
I do believe you lean toward something in the .224 cal class?? I like the 22 PPC and have picked up a few items. They don't come too cheap so this old soul will have to go slow. The Clausing is a great machine and we are lucky to have such. Skip

Mr. Lambert,
I do believe you lean toward something in the .224 cal class?? I like the 22 PPC and have picked up a few items. They don't come too cheap so this old soul will have to go slow. The Clausing is a great machine and we are lucky to have such. Skip

Skip, I'm still a 6ppc and 30BR guy. I do have a 220 Beggs that I've never fired.

Sharing Ideas

Thanks guys, this is good stuff. I was afraid this set up might be a little light. My shooting bench is light, but I can tie it down to the ground with an anchor (as used to tie down aircraft) screwed into the ground and a strap ran around the rail base and bench top. This took the shake out of the bench. A bit of weight as suggested and stopped boards should get it steady. I also get too rough it seems when reloading. I hope to get to Midland and Seymore one of these days, thanks. Skip

Skip...When I read your description of your shooting bench, to be honest, it gives me the "shakes":D. I haven't seen it, but I don't know if I would trust ii to do any serious load development with a Rail Gun. Since we're sharing ideas, I did a forum search and found a link that might interest you. http://benchrest.com/articles/benches.pdf. Ive' never built a shooting bench, but I know some locals who swear its a lot easier than building a Rail Gun from scratch.:D

Glenn

Glen,
You were right, the bench I have to set the rail gun on is far from steady. Those of us who shoot here in our small community use portable benches of every description. WE don't have a public range and use various areas by consent or lease. This means a complete set-up is necessary each shoot. Thanks for the bench info it is really neat. Skip

Benches

Skip,in the Military,we called it "Field-Expedient". Means.....figure out a way to make it work. Hope you're having much fun with your new Rail Gun.

Glenn

Back