we need a humor forum.....until then

OO, thanks for your post; it prompted me to look for your "post about the search function..." (maybe you're referring to the second paragraph in post # 80 at https://benchrest.com/forum/threads/bullet-making-pics.72619/page-4#post-859150.

Regardless of my post # 40 at https://benchrest.com/forum/threads/anyone-interested-in-buying-benchrest-com.105910/page-2, AND, post # 13 at http://benchrest.com/forum/threads/wilbur-harris-tribute-and-funeral-information.104180/, I share your frustration. (Another issue is that when I click on the number of posts by a member the results are often not accurate; e.g., clicking on the 5,275 on Wilbur's member page returns only three posts.)

Whatever is going on with the search function is strange. As hinted at by the EDIT in the aforementioned post # 13, maybe the problem lies in the slight re-naming of the applicable web "address"? I'll bring this issue to the attention of the appropriate people; maybe they can solve the search issue.
I had some time tonight to dig through the piles of data and I think I have made some headway into rectifying some of the issues mentioned. Since there currently isn't a better place to post this, and the convo was already ongoing here, I'll just share here :)

After this site was originally migrated from Vbulletin I'm not sure if the posts and everything were fully re-indexed in the new xenforo databases. I ran a re-index earlier and now I am seeing more posts under Wilbur's account for example. I need people like @OliveOil to check their bookmarks and see if that made any change. If not, if you could share a few of the links you have so I can look at them directly that would be a huge help. Looking directly in the database I am seeing posts as far back as 2007 so I know they are definitely there.

BRuserposts.png

Some mentioned not being able to pull up certain users in the members page when searching for them. After digging around it looks like xenforo has a hard-coded setting that if someone is inactive longer than 180 days then they do not show up in searches. After some tinkering I found I couldn't remove the limitation, BUT I could change it....27 years give or take should be better than 6 months for the time being :LOL:

BRfinduser.png

Let me know if these changes made any impact, and if other issues arise with old information or just general site display issues, please shoot me a message or post back so I can take a look at it.

Thanks all! (This is Brandon btw ;) )

I
Some mentioned not being able to pull up certain users in the members page when searching for them. After digging around it looks like xenforo has a hard-coded setting that if someone is inactive longer than 180 days then they do not show up in searches. After some tinkering I found I couldn't remove the limitation, BUT I could change it....27 years give or take should be better than 6 months for the time being :LOL:

Let me know if these changes made any impact, and if other issues arise with old information or just general site display issues, please shoot me a message or post back so I can take a look at it.

Thanks all! (This is Brandon btw ;) )
Brandon, thanks for your efforts on the above issue. Two points of clarification: First, as to your first sentence quoted above, from my experience, no member has failed to show in a member search; the issue has been that some/all posts don't show when clicking on the "Message" count on the member page of some members. Second, per post # 5 in the "...Existing Members Who Have Moved On...." thread (on the General Discussion forum), I've been deleting members who have not been "seen" here in over five years. Since deleting those members, presumably, will not delete any posts they made (per post # 4 of that thread), I assume that what I'm doing will not have any significant effect on the change referenced above; do you agree?

Brandon, thanks for your efforts on the above issue. Two points of clarification: First, as to your first sentence quoted above, from my experience, no member has failed to show in a member search; the issue has been that some/all posts don't show when clicking on the "Message" count on the member page of some members. Second, per post # 5 in the "...Existing Members Who Have Moved On...." thread (on the General Discussion forum), I've been deleting members who have not been "seen" here in over five years. Since deleting those members, presumably, will not delete any posts they made (per post # 4 of that thread), I assume that what I'm doing will not have any significant effect on the change referenced above; do you agree?
Members not showing in search was an issue that I came across while working in the forums which made it difficult to locate certain members quickly...saying members reported it was incorrect, but it was an issue nonetheless that I have rectified.

Yes the posts of said users will remain after the user account is deleted.

The re-indexing I mentioned above has fixed the messages issue you mentioned I believe. I clicked on Wilburs 5275 message count and was presented with far more that 3 results if you want to confirm.

As stated, anyone else having issues with links to old posts not working, please check them now and if you have any that are not working, please share the link so I can investigate it closer on an individual basis.

Yes the posts of said users will remain after the user account is deleted.

The re-indexing I mentioned above has fixed the messages issue you mentioned I believe. I clicked on Wilburs 5275 message count and was presented with far more that 3 results if you want to confirm.

As stated, anyone else having issues with links to old posts not working, please check them now and if you have any that are not working, please share the link so I can investigate it closer on an individual basis.
Good deal. :)

Hi everybody,

Let me first thank the forum and forum host team for going on taking care of us and taking care of highlighted issues following ""the great move"".

With regards to @erieeroot request,

Please note my last try using the "search" + exact thread titles took place approx 1 week ago. Didn't work.

So, today, I copy the old bookmark title and run them in the new search, with or without "search titles only" activated :

Bullet core stripping from Dec 2008 work

Of course, when trying to access directly from the old bookmark, it does not work. No surprise here.
a9zty4.png

Sta-moly jackets, Feb 2017 work

Bullet Making (originally owned by Stephen Perry), Mar 2010, work

New bullet making Thread, June 2010 work

Another Bullet Making Thread (lots of photos & video), Apr 2016, work

Bullet making trays, Jun 2012, work

Didn't went through all of them, but today I have access to History.

Brandon, thanks again for your nightwork. You did great !!
Oliver.

Hi everybody,

Let me first thank the forum and forum host team for going on taking care of us and taking care of highlighted issues following ""the great move"".

With regards to @erieeroot request,

Please note my last try using the "search" + exact thread titles took place approx 1 week ago. Didn't work.

So, today, I copy the old bookmark title and run them in the new search, with or without "search titles only" activated :

Bullet core stripping from Dec 2008 work

Of course, when trying to access directly from the old bookmark, it does not work. No surprise here.
a9zty4.png

Sta-moly jackets, Feb 2017 work

Bullet Making (originally owned by Stephen Perry), Mar 2010, work

New bullet making Thread, June 2010 work

Another Bullet Making Thread (lots of photos & video), Apr 2016, work

Bullet making trays, Jun 2012, work

Didn't went through all of them, but today I have access to History.

Brandon, thanks again for your nightwork. You did great !!
Oliver.
Awesome news!

The new forum uses the same topic ID numbers as the old, so you can go through each one as you did and search titles and readd the bookmarks, or you can edit your bookmarks individually if you are feeling feisty.

old link structure

new link structure

So for example the bullet core stripping thread should now be at https://benchrest.com/forum/threads/bullet-core-stripping.57965/

Glad to see it is working!

P.S. Respect for using Ubuntu ;)

SINCE ... SUPPORTS GOT THIS MOVED, HOW ABOUT WE MOVE IT BACK..there were more votes to leave than there were to move it.......a million views cannot be all wrong

===========

MODERATOR'S COMMENTS - YOUR PREVIOUS POST ON THIS THREAD WAS DELETED DUE TO NAME-CALLING AND TO AVOID GETTING INTO FURTHER BACK-AND-FORTH ABOUT THIS THREAD; HOWEVER, SINCE YOU BRING IT UP AGAIN, I'LL ADDRESS YOUR CONCERN. THIS THREAD IS STILL ON THE WEBSITE DUE TO THE VOTES; IT WAS MOVED HERE TO GIVE IT IT'S OWN FORUM (AS SUGGESTED AT POST # 2,343).

ALSO, AS YOU MAY NOTICE, THE NAME-CALLING IN YOUR POST HERE HAS BEEN DELETED. IN THE FUTURE, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM NAME-CALLING.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the problem again? I have no problem finding the humor section and it's fine with me that it's not at top every day of a BR forum but yes, there was some good stuff(funny) there. I like what you did Mod. I honestly see nothing at all wrong with the change but can see your logic with not deleting it too. Kudos! The place is slowly and hopefully surely, coming back. You all have made some nice upgrades and changes. If I had bought it, trust me, it would've been slower because we'd all be waiting on me to figure out how to do stuff...every day.

A HUGE thank you for keeping this great site going and for all you are doing..top to bottom!

What's the problem again? I have no problem finding the humor section and it's fine with me that it's not at top every day of a BR forum but yes, there was some good stuff(funny) there. I like what you did Mod. I honestly see nothing at all wrong with the change but can see your logic with not deleting it too. Kudos! The place is slowly and hopefully surely, coming back. You all have made some nice upgrades and changes. If I had bought it, trust me, it would've been slower because we'd all be waiting on me to figure out how to do stuff...every day.

A HUGE thank you for keeping this great site going and for all you are doing..top to bottom!
Yea. What Mike said.
Name calling ???? WTF ??? That happened here. I thought Wilber educated or put a stop to that.....
Thanks Guys.

Back