Modern loads in the 7mm Mauser?

Hi Gang:

I am shocked that this cartridge has not become more popular.

The 7/08 seemed to catch on and is doing well as a deer cartridge etc.

The 7mm Mauser has a greater capicity and a sharper shoulder which may be more "modern."

I can only guess that the mauser round is loaded to low preessures to be used in older actions.

What do you think of taking a .257 +P case necking it to the 7mm Mauser and loading it to modern pressures? Would this add new life to a great cartridge?

Then again, who needs the Mauser when there is the great .280 Remington?

Any thoughts?

Stay well,

Zeke

Zeke

The 7x57 has been around for 120 years and I doubt if it's going to catch on now. Most wildcatters of the last Century recognized the adaptibility of the case and it fostered some of today's better cartridges. Big game hunters in England and on the Continent knew of it's capability in the field. But, in this age of a new cartridge every other Sunday, I doubt if you're going to see anyone rushing to improve the ballistics of factory loadings. There's not a big bottom line in that, and profit is everything.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited:
I had a 7x57 that I sold a few years back and the only problems I had with it were poor availability of good cases. WW cases are hard and have more capacity than RP's which got to be the only ones I could find. There's no reason that the 7x57 loaded to the same pressures as the 7-08 shouldn't show the 7-08 the door. I was able to get 2900 fps with 140 gr Partitions from a 22" barrel with a stout load of RL-15. Various people told me that 4350 was the powder but I could never get the velocity with it or RL-19 that I could get with RL-15 at what looked like the same pressures. Unfortunately RL-17 was available when I had the rifle, but would likely be a great powder in the 7x57.

The idea of using .257+P cases if they're available would be a good thing to stock up on. Neck them up, trim them, and fireform them. If the bolt doesn't close hard on the cases for fireforming open the necks up to .30 to create a little false shoulder, then go for it. Alternatively some good European cases which would likely make your eyes water when you look at the price, or Win/WW 7x57's.

I found that my rifle showed me the load it liked with steadily decreasing group sizes with increasing charge to where the group would blow up, at least doubling in size. Drop back to the load that gave the best accuracy and that was it. I loaded that rifle warm, but never had a problem with cases or primers

....................... I can only guess that the mauser round is loaded to low preessures to be used in older actions................

Stay well,

Zeke

This is what I was taught in gunsmithing school. Mausers '92-'96 and Remington Rolling Block come to mind.

al

again define lo pressure...way too much bs out there about mauser actions.......
the 96 is the 6.5 x55 swede and is a 55kpsi round.......

mike in co

Visualize a place where you could go to find uniform standards for pressure, velocities, chambers, and cartridges. Wouldn't that be great?

Wait, Carnac says - SAAMI and CIP.:rolleyes::cool:

Is the SAAMI pressure standard for 7x57mm different from the 6.5x55mm? Are they different than the 7mm-08 Remington?

Look it up.

Last edited:
my personal belief is that the saami 51k for 7x57 is not based on facts but folklore. the cip of 56k is a much more realistic pressure. the 6.5x55 is 55kpsi but the exact same reciever is used to build commercial 30'06 rifles in europe with 58kpsi cip vs our 60kpsi saami.
that tends to tell me the '96 small ring reciever is good for 58kpsi ......not the 65kpsi of a 6 mm rem, but still i would not call it lo pressure.
7-08 is the exact pressure saami as is its parent the 308 win.......60kpsi

mike in co
( ok i have never seen a 7x57 '92 mauser.....those early guns were lo pressure..so i think that caveat should be listed just in case some one has one....45kpsi cup)

Last edited:
There are other actions to consider that are much weaker than the '96 small ring Mauser.

Mike, are you really saying that SAAMI is based on folklore???

Ray

too many political lawyer decisions to produce modern ammo for a modern 7 x57.......
yes i believe the interams mark X 7x57 could easily be loaded to 58-60kpsi......same for a rem 700.....
mike in co

a 140 with a 46 gr of 2520 in a 22in bbl produces a theoretical 2850 fps at 59kpsi.....only working up would tell you if safe and reasonable.
that is 120 fps faster than a 51kpsi load...
i dont hunt so you tell me is it an issue or not.
mike in co

How about, say, 45-70? It can be loaded in a Siamese Mauser to 60psi. Are SAAMI standards for the 45-70 based on folklore or legal cya?

The 7x57 was loaded many years ago with the CIL Dominion 139 gr softpoint with 45 gr IMR 4320 by a good shooter-hunter friend.
It was supposed to be 2900 fps and Bob said that there was no difference between that load and a .270 in the field on game.
This load was listed by RCBS in their loading book .

Of course that was in Model 98 actions with Douglas barrels.

Glenn

Last edited:
my personal belief is that the saami 51k for 7x57 is not based on facts but folklore. the cip of 56k is a much more realistic pressure. the 6.5x55 is 55kpsi but the exact same reciever is used to build commercial 30'06 rifles in europe with 58kpsi cip vs our 60kpsi saami.
that tends to tell me the '96 small ring reciever is good for 58kpsi ......not the 65kpsi of a 6 mm rem, but still i would not call it lo pressure.
7-08 is the exact pressure saami as is its parent the 308 win.......60kpsi

mike in co
( ok i have never seen a 7x57 '92 mauser.....those early guns were lo pressure..so i think that caveat should be listed just in case some one has one....45kpsi cup)
what rifle using an 1896 mauser action is anyone using to chamber a 30-06?

with a 24 bbl i get 2850 at 55kpsi.....
The 7x57 was loaded many years ago with the CIL Dominion 139 gr softpoint with 45 gr IMR 4320 by a good shooter-hunter friend.
It was supposed to be 2900 fps and Bob said that there was no difference between that load and a .270 in the field on game.
This load was listed by RCBS in their loading book .

Of course that was in Model 98 actions with Douglas barrels.

Glenn

maybe a modern plus p load and so marked and marketed ??
my guess...too small of a market.....maybe for a smaller business ???

mike in co

WIDELY AVAILBLE in sweden.............i do not remeber the site i was on but they had rifle after rifle in this conversion.
mike in co

i ask because the 1896 mauser action isnt long enough to cycle a 30-06 round through it, so it seems a far fetched claim.

leftyo,
not exactlly true...
if loaded to max length yes, but no one says you have to load to max length.
the swede is only 0.190 shorter so yes you could.ammo loaded 0.2 short would work.
i'm only telling you what i saw and all the comments it caused at the time.
mike in co
i ask because the 1896 mauser action isnt long enough to cycle a 30-06 round through it, so it seems a far fetched claim.

Back