IR 50/50 Sporters

Thank you Bruce Hornstein!

Bruce, several members wanted you to repost in this sticky, myself one of them, and I am happy and thankful you did.
Thank you so much for explaining another technique in dealing with the Sporter class rules. Whether it works for others or not, 'class act' by you to share something that has added to your impressive performances in RFBR. Also, to be gracious enough to share it in a place that gives easy access in the future for review!

Many thanks,
Scott

Unfortunately,

i see the Sporter thing in Rimfire dwindling. I really don't have any opportunity to shoot it anymore. I have a new barrel all but finished but there being no opportunity, I haven't done it. I do not like shooting the ARA target so have all but quit shooting Rimfire. When the 6 power went away, so did my interest in Rimfire. Local thing here, I know, but there is none within reasonable driving distance.

Pete

i see the Sporter thing in Rimfire dwindling. I really don't have any opportunity to shoot it anymore. I have a new barrel all but finished but there being no opportunity, I haven't done it. I do not like shooting the ARA target so have all but quit shooting Rimfire. When the 6 power went away, so did my interest in Rimfire. Local thing here, I know, but there is none within reasonable driving distance.

Pete

I drove 50 hrs over the last 2 weekends to WV & PA mainly to compete with the sporter, see friends & meet others. I guess its how bad you want to. I want to.
You have 20 sporter cards 8/13-8/15 being shot in Boothbay, 30 minutes away, shooting the IR target, lunch provided
Finish the gun & come enjoy some 6x shooting.

Keith

I drove 50 hrs over the last 2 weekends to WV & PA mainly to compete with the sporter, see friends & meet others. I guess its how bad you want to. I want to.
You have 20 sporter cards 8/13-8/15 being shot in Boothbay, 30 minutes away, shooting the IR target, lunch provided
Finish the gun & come enjoy some 6x shooting.

Keith

Keith Royal, Sporter shooter, RFBR Competitor, Match director, and all around great guy.

Keith your desire to shoot sporter matches should inspire us all. That was a lot of driving.

I've said this before but I will say it again. The sporter is the most evolved RFBR rifle we shoot.

With it's overall weight limit of 7.5 lbs. 2 1/4 wide wood stock, and a scope of no more than 6.5 power makes it tough.

Sporter shooting has never been as popular as the heavier rifles and it never will be. But this class offers something to certain shooters that no other event can.

It is hard, and it takes a shooter to enjoy that little light rifle. Your bench technique, and manners, must be spot on, the rife will not save your mistakes.

But there is no greater thrill in RFBR that can compare with shootings Xs with a sporter. You can only see the outside dark black rings on the IR 50/50 target. The 7,8,9, and 10 ring are there, but you can't see them.

Basically you are shooting at the target kinda like you shoot when using a peep sight. You are trying to center those outside black rings and hit the middle. Some use a dot reticle, some just use crosshairs.

Whatever you use, the thrill is the same. You touch that trigger, look through your spotting scope, see that dot in the center of the target completely taken out, you feel you just received a gift from god.

You couldn't even see that dot, but yet you have completely shot it out. Shooting any X is fun but not like doing it with a sporter.

These sporter are so highly evolved they can shoot nearly as well as the heavy rifles. It takes a 250 to win most sporter matches.

This is a sport that only appeals to a certain group of people but to those that enjoy it nothing else compares.

Keith is going to host the Maine State and Northeast Regional Sporter and 3 gun matches 14/15 Aug. 21 at Boothbay Maine.

He is also throwing in a sporter 10-Shot match the night before at 5:30 PM the 13 Aug 21.

There is not a lot of opportunities for sporter shooters so don't miss this one.

TKH

Last edited:
Crocodile Tears

Pete

Wow, some real crocodile tears there, Pete.

I don't know how you define "reasonable driving distance" but there were 17 Sporter targets shot at Boothbay this past weekend and it looks like that's about 40 minutes away from you. I'd be in heaven if I could do that drive instead of the 14 hours each way like I did.

Keith did a great job and it's really a shame local shooters up there aren't making much effort.

Pete, instead of whining about Sporter dwindling actually supporting it would be a lot more productive.

Bruce Hornstein

Wow, some real crocodile tears there, Pete.

I don't know how you define "reasonable driving distance" but there were 17 Sporter targets shot at Boothbay this past weekend and it looks like that's about 40 minutes away from you. I'd be in heaven if I could do that drive instead of the 14 hours each way like I did.

Keith did a great job and it's really a shame local shooters up there aren't making much effort.

Pete, instead of whining about Sporter dwindling actually supporting it would be a lot more productive.

Bruce Hornstein

Totally agree with the above post.

Scott

I sold my best sporter

Totally agree with the above post.

Scott

A couple of years ago and the one I have left is not that great. In looking at the results generally on the IR 50/50 site I see dwindling numbers of shooters all over the country and for that reason I sold my best Sporter as I believed and still do that the Sporter Game's days are numbered. There have been so many venues collapse over they years I didn't think it wise to continue. Actually, I am thinking I may not continue with Rimfire at all. I loved the Sporters but I loved fly fishing for years too and gave that up for Benchrest. Perhaps it's time to move on.

Pete

Unlimited ARA is Thriving !

Dawn Killough Annouced Tuesday that 145 Shooters have Preregistered for The ARA Nationals in St Louis in Two Weeks ! WOW!

A couple of years ago and the one I have left is not that great. In looking at the results generally on the IR 50/50 site I see dwindling numbers of shooters all over the country and for that reason I sold my best Sporter as I believed and still do that the Sporter Game's days are numbered. There have been so many venues collapse over they years I didn't think it wise to continue. Actually, I am thinking I may not continue with Rimfire at all. I loved the Sporters but I loved fly fishing for years too and gave that up for Benchrest. Perhaps it's time to move on.

Pete

Pete, I'm sure there are fly fishing forums that are eagerly awaiting your pearls of wisdom.

Well I guess I got to the Sporter party a little late! This year I built my first sporter and got to shoot in matches with it over the season and I am totally hooked! The thrill of seeing that little gun with 6x scope knock out a 250 is unlike anything else I've felt in competition. I am trying to get some of my local club shooters into them but of course they are very hard to come by. I can't even offer to build for them as the actions seem to be mostly non existent. Any hope for reviving this class out there?
Hope so!
Stuart

Well I guess I got to the Sporter party a little late! This year I built my first sporter and got to shoot in matches with it over the season and I am totally hooked! The thrill of seeing that little gun with 6x scope knock out a 250 is unlike anything else I've felt in competition. I am trying to get some of my local club shooters into them but of course they are very hard to come by. I can't even offer to build for them as the actions seem to be mostly non existent. Any hope for reviving this class out there?
Hope so!
Stuart
Stuart,

I agree with you. Shooting the sporter is the most rewarding shooting that I do. I wish I knew how to get more shooters interested.

At one time guys/gals got into shooting sports because of the challenge. But now it seems the challenge isn't the draw.

What I hear most often is "it is too hard to shoot a sporter, too much work to get one to shoot, and finding ammo for a second rifle." Then they go on to say the sandbag two-piece rest requirement adds to the equipment one must buy and haul around. This is all true. You really do have to shoot a sporter, hands on. This is all part of the challenge.

Let's face it, it is just easier to grab one rifle, one ammo, and one rest, to go to a match. Then strap the rifle to the rest with a cord and just touch the trigger when you think everything is lined up. If you don't win blame the ammo and go to dinner. Ever notice how often you hear shooters refer to the rifle shooting such and such score or the ammo would only shoot such and such score? They make it sound as if the rifle shoots itself and the ammo just goes wherever it wants. They take no responsibility for where their shots land. If you aren't fully invested, I guess you don't get your feelings hurt when you lose. That is another thing, if you can't take losing this is the wrong sport. No one wins all the time, rimfire just will not allow that. You have to take your losses and enjoy your wins when they come.

TKH

What keeps me away from it is my soon to be 79 year old eyes can't see much through a 6 power scope. My 48 power March has me thinking about their 80 power model. It's he'll to get old but it beats the alternative.

Stu, shoot the sporter in 3 gun for all the cards. That’s what I have been doing except for the Nationals. Probably been better off if I had shot it.
Heck, one year down to Piney Hill at the indoor UL Nationals I won a target with it with a 250-20 I think.
The only disadvantage I see is eye fatigue one you have your setup to it’s liking.
I guess what I’m saying is just shoot it. Doesn’t matter what the scheduled match is.
Keith

Stu, shoot the sporter in 3 gun for all the cards. That’s what I have been doing except for the Nationals. Probably been better off if I had shot it.
Heck, one year down to Piney Hill at the indoor UL Nationals I won a target with it with a 250-20 I think.
The only disadvantage I see is eye fatigue one you have your setup to it’s liking.
I guess what I’m saying is just shoot it. Doesn’t matter what the scheduled match is.
Keith
In our first year (2017) I shot my sporter because it was all I had. The ARA card was harder for me to shoot than the IR card. The 6x was very tiring after a 6 card match. I didn't do very well and I think my agg was under 1800 but I'm not sure I've had any more fun shooting.
Todd

In our first year (2017) I shot my sporter because it was all I had. The ARA card was harder for me to shoot than the IR card. The 6x was very tiring after a 6 card match. I didn't do very well and I think my agg was under 1800 but I'm not sure I've had any more fun shooting.
Todd
The key to shooting the IR 50/50 target with a Sporter is the black thick lines around the target. Those can be seen with the 6.5 X scope. If you have a dot use it and those thick lines just like shooting a peep sight. The ARA target doesn’t have any thick lines which makes it much harder to see with the 6.5X scope. The IR Sporter shoots the same target as the unlimited rifles. Not a larger version like the factory ARA rifles do.
TKH

The key to shooting the IR 50/50 target with a Sporter is the black thick lines around the target. Those can be seen with the 6.5 X scope. If you have a dot use it and those thick lines just like shooting a peep sight. The ARA target doesn’t have any thick lines which makes it much harder to see with the 6.5X scope. The IR Sporter shoots the same target as the unlimited rifles. Not a larger version like the factory ARA rifles do.
TKH
I was a IR 5050 match director in 2019.
Todd

Keith
That's a great idea Keith! And with my new variable power scope I can zoom in a bit more for the 10.5 and 13.5 classes ;)

That's a great idea Keith! And with my new variable power scope I can zoom in a bit more for the 10.5 and 13.5 classes ;)
Go 4 it!!! You won't be out a thing. The purse is the same either way!
There was another gentleman from NY & a sporter was all I ever saw him shoot. Thats exactly what he did, turn the variable up. When sporter matches were introduced he held a record for a while. It can be done.
As to your original question I don't see it ever coming back to what it once was in the NE. You may see a couple new shooters down south where there's still enough matches. Up here, just not any interest.
I've been contemplating the same question & this winter/spring I'm planning on reaching out to as many ranges as I can within a 2hr drive for me to see if there is any interest in a 50/50 match at all. Plan being is to send a letter to their contact & offer to see if their members have any interest. If so, I could make one of their meetings & give an explanation of the discipline & maybe bring along some equipment for a show & tell sorta thing. I would be happy to have a match at their club so people would not have too much travel.
Obviously not a sporter match as its a niche in itself but I have to start somewhere. Once we get them "hooked" then bust out a sporter on 'em???
I just don't know what else to do & hope if nothing else gain even just a few new shooters. I've done a piss poor job other than my own club in advertising any matches so this can't hurt.
Keith

Last edited:
Go 4 it!!! You won't be out a thing. The purse is the same either way!
There was another gentleman from NY & a sporter was all I ever saw him shoot. Thats exactly what he did, turn the variable up. When sporter matches were introduced he held a record for a while. It can be done.
As to your original question I don't see it ever coming back to what it once was in the NE. You may see a couple new shooters down south where there's still enough matches. Up here, just not any interest.
I've been contemplating the same question & this winter/spring I'm planning on reaching out to as many ranges as I can within a 2hr drive for me to see if there is any interest in a 50/50 match at all. Plan being is to send a letter to their contact & offer to see if their members have any interest. If so, I could make one of their meetings & give an explanation of the discipline & maybe bring along some equipment for a show & tell sorta thing. I would be happy to have a match at their club so people would not have too much travel.
Obviously not a sporter match as its a niche in itself but I have to start somewhere. Once we get them "hooked" then bust out a sporter on 'em???
I just don't know what else to do & hope if nothing else gain even just a few new shooters. I've done a piss poor job other than my own club in advertising any matches so this can't hurt.
Keith

THIS is what's going to keep an already failing discipline from disappearing completely. When I first started shooting in 2012 there were matches everywhere and it seemed so easy to find one. Dedicated match directors like Keith that are willing to do the hard work and go out of their way are what we're depending on now.

All of you that go to matches and have never helped might be wondering why it happened when it all goes away.

THIS is what's going to keep an already failing discipline from disappearing completely. When I first started shooting in 2012 there were matches everywhere and it seemed so easy to find one. Dedicated match directors like Keith that are willing to do the hard work and go out of their way are what we're depending on now.

All of you that go to matches and have never helped might be wondering why it happened when it all goes away.
Bruce, maybe. I am a promoter of IR 3-gun. I love it because of the Sporter. I just drove over 1,600 miles to shoot the last two 3-gun matches of the 2023 season this last weekend. I am also a MD for both sanctioning bodies (IR and ARA). Next season I will only be MD for IR. Still 2 clubs, but both shooting IR 3-gun. That will give us 3 clubs in Iowa/Illinois shooting IR 3-gun. There are lots of Sporter rifles sitting in safes that never see the light of day, some really good ones to boot. New Sporters can be had from JM Precision as well. Voelker has had some good success building IR 3-gun participation at his club over the last 2 years. Not all doom and gloom, but definitely the class needs a shot in the arm. Some of us are trying, that's for sure.

Later my friend.........Scott

Back