How did I get there (my story)

I'm at Germany Lapua test center.
Now they have a new software. It's quite different from the previous Meyton.

And I see now what do you mean by vertical aggregates around 12~14mm, instead of Meyton ones 8~10mm. That's because the software is measuring different things. Meyton measured the vertical spread center to center, this one is outside to outside.
Whatever the measures I continue to pick the smallest possible vertical.

Our Lapua test center has always measured spread outside to outside. For me and others it seems anything under 13mm is decent ammo. The one thing I don't know is if this measurement is the actual group size or if it is corrected to .224 bullet size. Our scoring plug is .224 which is larger than the actual bullet that makes the hole in the target.

Our Lapua test center has always measured spread outside to outside. For me and others it seems anything under 13mm is decent ammo. The one thing I don't know is if this measurement is the actual group size or if it is corrected to .224 bullet size. Our scoring plug is .224 which is larger than the actual bullet that makes the hole in the target.
John, I spoke with Shane and on our reports in the US, there is a parameter titled "Hmax". This is the vertical (hence "height") spread of the 10 shot group. So I think it would be preferable to select a lot with consistent 12-13mm outside to outside groups, and not a lot of vertical "height" as represented by the Hmax value. If you have more than one lot in the 12-13mm range for 10-shot group size, probably best to select the one with the lower Hmax value.

Mine 11mm group ammo had 5.92mm vertical spread
Pedro, Is this for 30 shots or 10?
several years ago, I was lucky to find a lot that did 11mm at Mesa, however it was only 10 shots.
looking at this test report would this be a lot you would consider?

Thanks,
Lee

Attachments

• 1411 test -.jpg
    1411 test -.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14
John, I spoke with Shane and on our reports in the US, there is a parameter titled "Hmax". This is the vertical (hence "height") spread of the 10 shot group. So I think it would be preferable to select a lot with consistent 12-13mm outside to outside groups, and not a lot of vertical "height" as represented by the Hmax value. If you have more than one lot in the 12-13mm range for 10-shot group size, probably best to select the one with the lower Hmax value.
Hopefully I’ll be at the Lapua Marengo test facility next March. I have one box of ammo left that shot really well out of my rifle. Is it better to:
a. Remove the tuner to get a barrel baseline with this ammo and look for ammo that looks like my reference batch, or
b. Leave the tuner on to get a barrel baseline

The rest of this didn’t post.

If the tuner is left off to get a barrel baseline, I would put it on to run the reference and selected ammo to see the results. Are there any preferences as to naked barrel v. tuner barrel?

Tony

The rest of this didn’t post.

If the tuner is left off to get a barrel baseline, I would put it on to run the reference and selected ammo to see the results. Are there any preferences as to naked barrel v. tuner barrel?

Tony
Tony, I always try to test the same way I shoot the rifle, to avoid any variations that might come up. I also take a "control" lot that I either tested on my previous trip to the test center, or that has shot well in my rifle, and ask them to shoot at least one 10-shot group with it to compare with the new lots.

FYI only.

Pedro, Is this for 30 shots or 10?
several years ago, I was lucky to find a lot that did 11mm at Mesa, however it was only 10 shots.
looking at this test report would this be a lot you would consider?

Thanks,
Lee
Lee, that group (11mm group ammo / 5.92mm vertical spread) is for 30 shot. My best ever ammo I must say...

On your picture, I do believe DHHmax could mean max height from center to center, and being 3.82 is a very nice value.
Being only a 10 shots group, it had be confirmed by at least another 10 shots group. I've seen so many great groups just to be spoiled by the following one. So, I'll be careful considering that lot. I'm only testing with 3x10 shots groups.

Tony, I always try to test the same way I shoot the rifle, to avoid any variations that might come up. I also take a "control" lot that I either tested on my previous trip to the test center, or that has shot well in my rifle, and ask them to shoot at least one 10-shot group with it to compare with the new lots.

FYI only.
RFS,

I think that having a known good lot is imperative to see if what you are testing stacks up. I also have two other barrels for this rifle. If they will do it, I’d like to switch the other barrels in - naked - and then shoot whatever ammo I find to be good with my primary barrel (if there is any) to see how it works on these other barrels. Could be some interesting numbers. Alternatively, if I find something to buy I could do the tests on my own. That’s probably a better option.

Tony

Lee, that group (11mm group ammo / 5.92mm vertical spread) is for 30 shot. My best ever ammo I must say...

On your picture, I do believe DHHmax could mean max height from center to center, and being 3.82 is a very nice value.
Being only a 10 shots group, it had be confirmed by at least another 10 shots group. I've seen so many great groups just to be spoiled by the following one. So, I'll be careful considering that lot. I'm only testing with 3x10 shots groups.
Thank you, Pedro, for explaining it was 30 shot. That is an incredible lot with only a 5.92mm vertical spread for 30 shots.

I bought 3 cases of that lot based off that single 10 shot 11mm group. I watched the first 5 shots and it stayed within 6mm, why it grew to 11mm was in both the Lapua test manager and my opinion in the way the rifle was tested. it was not in the regular test jig, but off my Pappas rest with RTB. so, we felt the rifle did not RTB 100% as nobody could verify alignment. overall, I was very happy with the lot. I still have a few bricks left.

But your standard of 30 shots is much more stringent and would be something I would use if I ever made it back to the test center.

Thanks,
Lee

DHH is distance from hit to hit.

I think something is lost in translation. DHH is the distance between subsequent shots.
Would that be the outer edge of one shot to the outer edge of a second shot?

Center to center would be a much smaller distance. It would be the diameter of the bullet difference.

TKH

That’s a good question. I ASSuMEd it was center to center for that particular measurement, but being that the group sizes are measured outside to outside I don’t know. I’m a newbie but DHH is a metric I considered since I shoot from bull to bull.

From my understanding, distance between subsequent shots, or hit to hit, have to be measure from center to center.
Lapua does metric measurements, so 3.82mm is not enough to be outer edge to outer edge, because bullet diameter is 5.60mm.
A 3.89mm CtC is for a .22lr a 9.42mm group size (outer to outer).
Or I'm totally lost...

From my understanding, distance between subsequent shots, or hit to hit, have to be measure from center to center.
Lapua does metric measurements, so 3.82mm is not enough to be outer edge to outer edge, because bullet diameter is 5.60mm.
A 3.89mm CtC is for a .22lr a 9.42mm group size (outer to outer).
Or I'm totally lost...
Pedro, I believe that is correct DHH is ctc as it is being measure POI to POI
and 5.6mm is what is used here in the US for bullet diameter.

Lee

Attachments

• 1697025047255.jpeg
    1697025047255.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 25
Hello Pedro,

I read and reread what you were kind enough to share with us and I try to rigorously put your advice into practice!

I lowered the weight of my trigger to around 15 grams and I have difficulty managing the triggers so as not to have an involuntary finger strike.

I would like to know how you manage your release with a 7 grams trigger.

Do you place your finger delicately on it or do you only touch it to send?

Thank you for helping us progress.

Last edited:
Back