Which barrel tuner.

Mtn Boy

Hello just wondering what’s everyone’s opinion on tuners. As a of right now I have a Jnl tuner that Joe Chacon makes. It was on the gun when I bought it. I know looking at the ara and ir/50/50 line I don’t really ever see these. Seems like it’s either Harrels or Holeshot tuners. Am I giving up any thing buy using the Jnl over the others. Thanks

If I had to buy new it would be a Holeshot hands down. I've never used JNL. So I can't really comment but if it works ok and there's no real design flaw then I'd probably be using it

I bought a used rifle earlier this year. It has a older looking (well-used) Harrels on it. I'd like to put a Holeshot on it but it's doing it's job and I can use the funds for ammo or something else.

If I had to buy new it would be a Holeshot hands down. I've never used JNL. So I can't really comment but if it works ok and there's no real design flaw then I'd probably be using it

I bought a used rifle earlier this year. It has a older looking (well-used) Harrels on it. I'd like to put a Holeshot on it but it's doing it's job and I can use the funds for ammo or something else.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice

The JNL will work fine. The only real advantage of the Holeshot would be some data from others etc for good tune areas. Basically, most Harrells and Holeshot tuners have a spot between 175 and 225 with lots of them working near 200. It may save some time in the process. If I already had it on there, I would probably just use it.

The JNL will work fine. The only real advantage of the Holeshot would be some data from others etc for good tune areas. Basically, most Harrells and Holeshot tuners have a spot between 175 and 225 with lots of them working near 200. It may save some time in the process. If I already had it on there, I would probably just use it.
Thank you for the info.

A prettier copy of a Harells it would seem.
Tim, not really...
In fact, all tuners, whatever what can be said, are a mechanic system that puts a moving weight, in and out, in front of the crown.

Being a mechanism that allows a moving weight, not much can be different... well...

The RS MK2 is really a tuner, and like car tyres, they look the same, but could perform differently.
What have we done differently?
Couple of things:
1. better collar fixing system
2. all screws the same wrench size
3. ability to lock (not rigid, because it allow a small movement - important!) the weight from turning
4. very close tolerances on the moving weight system (now you can move it whatever the clicks you want, and it won't be out of center - important!)
5. exterior and bore dimensions optimised (I won't say how long it took...)
6. prettier than Harells (true!)

So….it’s a prettier version of a Holeshot. Same church, different pugh, Same parentage.😉😉
It is, however lovely.

Hey there! Tuners can be a bit of a personal preference in the shooting community, so it's great to hear that you're curious about different options. While Harrels and Holeshot tuners are quite popular and well-regarded, there's nothing inherently wrong with using a Jnl tuner like the one you have.

In terms of performance, the differences between tuners may be subtle and depend on various factors such as barrel harmonics, ammunition, and shooting conditions. Some shooters may prefer one tuner over another based on their own experiences and shooting style.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to find what works best for you and your setup. If you're happy with the performance of your Jnl tuner and it's producing consistent results for you, then there's no need to switch unless you're curious to try something new.

Keep on shooting and experimenting, and don't hesitate to reach out to fellow shooters for their insights and experiences with different tuners. Happy shooting! red ball

Back