what type of air rifle?

ekaphoto

looking for an air rifle to help improve shooting skills. I won't be competing so i don't want to spend the money on a high dollar rifle, but don't want bottom end so that I won't know if it is me or the rile that missed the target.

Lets start by identifying the different types of air rifles. High end are the PCP guns. Then the CO2 and spring guns. The spring guns are the cheapest (although there are some expensive spring guns) but shooting a springer is not like shooting a firearm, takes additional skills, but will make you a better firearm shooter. There are some co2 sporters that are inexpensive and make good trainers...look at the QB series guns. PCP guns are more expensive but will give you good crossover training. Set your budget, and ask for more input.

Thanks. I am looking to spend about $200 I know Gamo makes some "hunting" rifles that are at big 5 etc. Are those even worth looking at? I am looking at specific models if possable since I don't know anything about airguns.

Benjamin is just coming out with an entry level pcp called the discovery for around 400 dollars including a pump. I am keeping on eye out for reviews on that for a similar purpose.
Drew

Most of the Gamo's are oversprung to achieve velocities that will catch the consumer. These are difficult to shoot accurately. There are some replacement trigger parts to make the triggers tolerable and with a detune, can be pretty accurate guns. This not what I would reccomend for someone just getting into the game. If you put an extra 100$ in your budget, you could get an R7 Beaman (HW) and you would have a good trigger and a relatively easy to shoot gun that could be resold for very near what you paid if you did not like it.

Not to hijack the thread, but what would be a good gun to shoot benchrest in competition? Thanks

Mike

Pick a class first

In the springer class, HW 97 or TX 200 would be my reccomendation. For the match class, Anchutz, Walther, FWB, Steyr all make match grade guns that shoot at the restricted power level. Pick one, they are all about equal. For the unlimited class, a PCP that you can single load, any allowed caliber. This class will be pretty wide open as to equipment.

Edit to add...in the match class, pay attention to how a scope will mount. The FWB will require modification of the loading gate to scope it. The Steyr is fine as is and I don't know about the others.

Last edited:
Let me add to what Don has said. Several of us who are just getting into AirGun Benchrest have contacted Allen Zasadny about having him build us guns. Allen is a Theoben fanatic, dealer and gunsmith who also happens to be one of the top Field Target shooters in the world. He has a reputation for what he is capable of both when in competition, and when bringing Anschutz's, FWB's and Steyrs, or any other gun for that matter, up to their full potential for accuracy, and has competed with most, if not all of these guns at one time or another during his time at the top. You can read all about Allen's reputation by Googling his name, then reading his list of accomplishments.

When I first contacted Allen, I had decided that since I was a rookie, and he was the expert, I would make no requests of him and let him tell me what I needed. There was no doubt in my mind that I was heading toward buying one of those ±$2500.00 guns only to turn around and add another $500.00 to $1000.00 on top of that to have him rework it. Boy, was I ever surprised at what he told me. He was adamant at the fact that the new Theoben MFR, also a PCP gun, which he has reworked will be capable of shooting side-by-side with, if not out-shooting any of those previuosly mentioned guns. And the best part was, the total cost would be less than the base price for any one of those others.

What type of accuracy can be expected out of one of these reworked Theobens you ask? Allen claims that the first group of guns, which are being sent out as I type this, produced 12 shot groups that were the size of a .25 caliber hole, or just over 1/4", @ 35 yards outdoors, meaning that the actual group size measures approximately .075" (.250 - .177 = .073) ...again, that's 12 shots at 35 yards outdoors. Not too shabby I'd say!

There are several top name brands other than Theoben to choose from, all of which are capable of doing everything you will ask of them. As Don said; it is up to you to decide which Class you want to compete in, and how much you are willing to spend to reach your goal.

Dave Shattuck

Last edited:
I am surprised by Zasandy's opinions now. In the past, he has been a big fan of Steyr products. The Theoben triggers have a great reputation. Only time will tell.

Back