What action configuration is preferred for F Unlimited

SGS

Scott Roeder
Is there a clear preference for using a strong side loading port in F unlimited, or do many shooters use the opposite side port as in Bench rest? I can envision that shooting prone it might be preferable to keep one hand on the rifle while reloading.
I have several right bolt, left loading port actions but I'm wondering if They are suitable for F class.

F-Class Open or TR

I think that you are referring to "F-Open". That is the class where rifles can be 22 pounds and caliber is anything under 35 whereas TR is no more than 18.2 lbs and must be 308 or 223.

In either case, I shoot right-right. Unlike benchrest where you are trying shoot rapidly to beat a condition change, F-Class has a time lag while targets are pulled and scored where there is an opportunity for conditions to change. Once behind the rifle on the mat, I don't want to move any more than I have to, in order to maintain my position. Having to shift position to load from the off side is not something that I would want to do. After firing and reloading, you are better served by getting a handle on the conditions rather than wasting the time to re-establish your position behind the rifle.

But that is just me. I don't shoot free recoil as I shoot a 308 in F-TR and use a tight cheek weld and hold on the rifle.

I think that you are referring to "F-Open". That is the class where rifles can be 22 pounds and caliber is anything under 35 whereas TR is no more than 18.2 lbs and must be 308 or 223.

In either case, I shoot right-right. Unlike benchrest where you are trying shoot rapidly to beat a condition change, F-Class has a time lag while targets are pulled and scored where there is an opportunity for conditions to change. Once behind the rifle on the mat, I don't want to move any more than I have to, in order to maintain my position. Having to shift position to load from the off side is not something that I would want to do. After firing and reloading, you are better served by getting a handle on the conditions rather than wasting the time to re-establish your position behind the rifle.

But that is just me. I don't shoot free recoil as I shoot a 308 in F-TR and use a tight cheek weld and hold on the rifle.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I meant F-Open. I have shot a little service rifle years ago, so I kind of thought that was the case but I haven't been to an F class match so I haven't had a first hand look at what everyone is shooting.

From a Lefty

SGS
Been shooting FC Open since ‘98, I am left-handed. Started with a L bolt, R port because the action was from my MS days. It was natural to roll the rifle over while standing and could look in the loading port. At any rate it has worked well in 4 different actions/rifles. Then I decided I wanted to try and look though a spotting scope to keep an eye on the mirage & wind flags down range. Built a LB/LP last year. For me it is much harder to load ammo since I can’t see in the loading port & haven’t found a scope setup that works for me. I think I prefer my LP/RP!

Another Lefty

G'day All,
From my Benchrest and F Open experience, I prefer to have a L/bolt, R/port & L/eject for Benchrest setup. But I'm just as happy to use a R/bolt R/port set up as well.
I've tried both action types in F class but I think I prefer the full R/bolt R/port set up as my left hand remains on the grip and r/bolt, loading etc is easily operated by the right hand and with a co-axial rest everything is nice and smooth. I use my left thumb to to push/flick the bolt home once the round is on the feed ramp while the right hand then closes the bolt.
I have considered mounting my spotting scope to the rest base plate but I haven't done so yet.
Seems to work well.
Cheerio Ned

RB/RP no eject for me. It is easier for me to keep my eyes in the scopes (spotter for left eye, rifle for right) and watch conditions while I load and wait for score. With working both hands I am not coordinated enough in the prone position to keep my head stable with both hands/arms working. YMMV

Back