Ungluing a Glue-in

What procedure do guys use to remove a glued in action? I don't want to damage the stock. It's glued with JB Marine Weld.
Most of us use a clothes iron on top of the action. The new irons work, IME, but don't get as hot as the older ones. Faster is better IMHO. You might try ebay or a yard sale shop for an older iron.

you can put it in a freezer an that works
...and you've done this? I only ask because I've tried and it did not work for me..but you've. If you say it worked, that's good enough for me but it did not for me. I only tried once and I don't know or remember the adhesive used on it..so can't say it won't work on some, just that it didn't budge this one and heat did work and has never failed.

Last edited:
Never had any paint damage on any that I've done. You could always tape a piece of tin foil along the sides of the stock below the action....would protect it from the heat from the iron.

Most epoxies will start softening at 165-180 degrees.

If your stock is painted you might want to carefully run a razor blade between the paint and the action. This might prevent the action from ripping bits of paint off when it comes off. I have used the iron method and it works great. It is more difficult to get the iron to stay on a round action than a flat topped action such as a Panda.

I use the iron method. My original mentor many years ago would put them in a chestfreezer for several days. They always came out but I never did it myself. Good tip on the paint if it's bridged.

I also use the iron method. Tried the freezer, -3° for 24 hours, action still was rock solid in stock.

Thanks Al. Unfortunately I plan on getting my gender change surgery so I can be a women among men just like my gender change hero Speedy.o_O
Dr. Tim, I've noticed on the 4473 forms for firearms transfers they now list Male, Female and Binary in the Gender section. :oops:

I filled a 4473 out today and when I got to that section I stopped, looked confused and scratched my head for a bit. The guy behind the counter said: "Now that made my day!" Everyone at the counter got a good laugh out of it. I'm going to remember that line the next time I'm in a bar...should be worth a round or two of adult beverages!

Back