Treading Anschutz action

FilippoMo

I would like to thread an Anchutz action and I have a few question:
1-What is the best thread size (can do both inch and metric)?
2-How do you align bolt raceway with tenon to be threaded?
3-Is it possible to remove the loading platform in order to use a ground mandrel in order tocarry out step 2
4-Which reamer configuration would be most suited to build the most accurate rifle
5-Which barrel contour and lenght?
Sincerely
Filippo

In North America tpi is more common than metric. I believe Anschutz made that action accurate enough to use the present tenon recess to set up and thread.

That being said, I don't think there is an accuracy advantage to threading over the present tight fit and pins. And I think a snug hand fit and Loctite would be just as good.

Talk to the reamer makers about their match reamers... who is using what...

Jerry,I can shed a little light on this subject,First thing ,the anschutz action needs to be trued ,it is not .true from from Anschutz,The Tenion hole is not round on most actions,it needs to be trued before threading & the bolt raceway alignment needs to be checked,I have a fixture that i built when i made my first action to accept a Anschutz bolt,The race way is positioned above the centerline of the barrel around .090,you need a fixture to put the action into to check the alignment between the two. I thread most of my actions .840 by 20 or 24.While the action is in the fixture you can also true the locking lug areas if needed.As for the loctite deal,if it were foolproof ,Anschutz would do it,They choose to Machine both parts for a Freeze , heat srink fit. BILL

Good post Bill...

It's hard to believe Anschutz would not have been made true but your experience with them shows other wise. What about Walthers?

...And have you ever tried the snug fit and Loctite method?

Is it possible to have a drawing or sketch of the fixtures needed to do the work properly?
My email is filippomore@yahoo.com
Is .840 the minor diameter of thresd?
I do look forward to hearing from you and I thank you
sincerely
Filippo

One of the barrel makers, I think it is Border Barrels, recommends the loctite method on Anschutz replacements- anyway, I've read at whichever maker's website it was, the process of removing the old barrel and replacing as I've cited.

FWIW.

Why not put it back as the Meister wanted it to be. fit the barrell tight, REAM the old holes for a bigger pin and GO FOR IT

Clarence

Back