Ruger Barrel Quality

vtmarmot

P Magoon, Livin' Free NH
I just recently bought a Ruger American Precision Rimfire .22 LR. I haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting on some Picatinny riser blocks. I put the bore scope on it today and was very impressed. This is the best factory bore I have seen. There are zero tool marks. Another Ruger American Laminated that I bought a couple of years ago has a similarly good barrel. I believe these barrels are hammer forged. I don't know how they get them so smooth.

....... I don't know how they get them so smooth.

Ummmm, by hammer forging.

Doesn't make them "good"...... certainly not "best" ....... and certainly not accurate.

It's just "smooth".

A chrome bumper is "smooth"

A baby's butt is "smooth"

slick willy was "smooth"

I just recently bought a Ruger American Precision Rimfire .22 LR. I haven't shot it yet as I'm waiting on some Picatinny riser blocks. I put the bore scope on it today and was very impressed. This is the best factory bore I have seen. There are zero tool marks. Another Ruger American Laminated that I bought a couple of years ago has a similarly good barrel. I believe these barrels are hammer forged. I don't know how they get them so smooth.

Enjoy the rifle. It's always nice to get something that makes you smile. It will provide many years of great shooting!

My Ruger American Target, no 8348, has a similarly good bore and does very well in our local "Plinker" matches (rifle, scope and mounts under $ 500.00) winning often. I shot it in IR50-50 sporter and was not embarrassed. Could have used a scope with thinner crosshairs but I was constrained by weight so couldn't be too choosy.

I have ordered a Ruger American Long Range Target .22 No. 8378 but have been waiting 8 months already.

Tested the Ruger Precision Rimfire today on my home range. Mounted a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 scope. Used a heavy benchest base with a windage top and Protektor Model rear bag. Trigger measures 2 pounds 5 ounces. Groups were five shots at 50 yards. No wind flags because very little wind. Federal Ultramatch lot UM22 gave .225 and .442 inches. SK Match produced .562 and .365. Noteworthy single groups were Midas+ at .371 and Center X at .377. It didn't like 10x, probably due to no match chamber.

On the whole, I am pleased with this rifle given it was under $500.

Back