Rimfire Benchrest rifles (Calfee SPEC rifles)

Calfee RFBR Sporters

IR 50/50 legal sporters are a very special part of RFBR. They have never been as popular as the heavy rifles and for good reason.

They must be less than 7.5 lbs. The forearm can't be more than 2.25 inches wide. The bottom of the forearm can't be flat. The stock must be made of wood. They must have a clip that holds at least three rounds. (no solid bottom actions). The scope can't be greater than 6.5 power. They must be shot off two-piece sands bags.

Needless to say, all these restrictions prevent many from ever taking up the challenge. But surprisingly many have taken up the challenge and the IR 50/50 sporter has become the most evolved rifle shot in RFBR today.

The accuracy they have achieved is amazing. They actually rival the heavy unlimited rifles. If you doubt that look at the scores shot at the recent IR 50/50 Indoor Sporter Nationals.

Another interesting note. We all talk about the advancement of rimfire accuracy. We would like to believe we are improving and advancing.

But the fact is the rifles that are winning today are very much like the ones that were winning many years ago.

Over time higher scores have been and continue to be achieved, but there has really been no paradigm shift that brought about real across the board advancement.

I offer as proof.

The 2023 IR 50/50 Sporter 10-shot Indoor Nationals and the Sport Nationals were won by two rifles built by Bill Calfee nearly 13 years ago.

10-Shot- TD Junior
Sporter-Deputy Sheriff.

These rifles are basically the same as they were when they were built.

The kind of advancement I would like to see in RFBR is like the Telsa Plaid vs the 57 Chevy. As far as I can tell we are still driving Chevys.

If you see the advancements, please post it here.

TKH

Very interesting points Tony.

International Sporter, even if we shoot here with some minor changes, is the Master of rimfire disciplines.
I can just see one handicap, eye sight, as it degrades with age. Everything else is just perfect shooting technique.

Gear and rimfire advance as you said, is not much, just more accessible (?) these days.
I believe as long as the ammo is the same, ignition the same, and the bullet has to go through a barrel, not much can be advanced.

So why people are shooting more high scores (not higher) than before?
For me, it has nothing to do with rifles, because good ones have/are still available.

If I took my Country, as an exemple, what I do see, is much more attention to detail in the bench, more attention choosing ammo, more understanding how to choose ammo, more knowledge shooting in the wind, and, much, much more practice.

I also believe that before talented shooter shot the scores, until the others understood that with practice and the right approach, they can be winners too.

Very interesting points Tony.

International Sporter, even if we shoot here with some minor changes, is the Master of rimfire disciplines.
I can just see one handicap, eye sight, as it degrades with age. Everything else is just perfect shooting technique.

Gear and rimfire advance as you said, is not much, just more accessible (?) these days.
I believe as long as the ammo is the same, ignition the same, and the bullet has to go through a barrel, not much can be advanced.

So why people are shooting more high scores (not higher) than before?
For me, it has nothing to do with rifles, because good ones have/are still available.

If I took my Country, as an exemple, what I do see, is much more attention to detail in the bench, more attention choosing ammo, more understanding how to choose ammo, more knowledge shooting in the wind, and, much, much more practice.

I also believe that before talented shooter shot the scores, until the others understood that with practice and the right approach, they can be winners too.

Pedro,

You are spot on!! I think you pretty much said it all.

Good job and excellent post.

TKH

Tony and Pedro, if a person wanted to get into IR5050, where would he or she find a rifle? Are there any current gunsmiths that are producing rifles targeting the weight limit for IR5050? Also, does the barrel have to be thinner than the std. .900 benchrest barrel to make weight?

Can you give us an idea of the weights for the various components for a sporter rifle?
- Stock
- Barrel/action
- Trigger
- Scope/rings

Thanks,

Larry

Tony,
A piece of Sporter trivia for you.In your second paragraph you indicate( mostly true) that because of the magazine requirement it precludes solid bottom actions.
Have you ever seen any of the handful of Sporters made some time back by Tony Larson out of Wi. ?
Since, as you well know, the mag has to be there but does not need to function, Tony fabricated an attachment to mount the mag directly over the loading port on a Turbo, meeting the rules but maintaining a solid bottom for great bedding. Pretty slick setup.

Tony and Pedro, if a person wanted to get into IR5050, where would he or she find a rifle? Are there any current gunsmiths that are producing rifles targeting the weight limit for IR5050? Also, does the barrel have to be thinner than the std. .900 benchrest barrel to make weight?

Can you give us an idea of the weights for the various components for a sporter rifle?
- Stock
- Barrel/action
- Trigger
- Scope/rings

Thanks,

Larry

Sadly there is virtually nobody around today making top level contenders, Gordon Eck was about the last.
You are mostly relegated to the used market and you need to be very judicious in getting a good one if you want to win.
Sporter barrels have zero in common with straight taper blanks, requiring special reverse taper barrels about 21”, usually, allowing for a “ lug” on the end, acting as a fixed tuner…backbored and setup by the smith…..an art unto itself.
Post #1 in the Sporter thread has several pics.

Last edited:

- Stock
- Barrel/action
- Trigger
- Scope/rings

Thanks,

Larry

Sporter barrels are available, namely Muller and Shilen (reverse taper profile). Actions and triggers are common to other disciplines.
Stocks need to comply with rules (width and weight).
Scopes are a nightmare, as the good ones (reticle and 1/8MOA clicks) are just found on second hand market. But others can be found too.

Regarding weights of parts (g):
Barrelled action - 1892
Bolt - 213
Scope - Leupold Competition TG 6x42 - 398
Rings - Morr Accuracy edge 1" - 44
Stock - 769
Total - 3316 (so still room for stock weight or a heavier scope)

Sporter barrels are available, namely Muller and Shilen (reverse taper profile). Actions and triggers are common to other disciplines.
Stocks need to comply with rules (width and weight).
Scopes are a nightmare, as the good ones (reticle and 1/8MOA clicks) are just found on second hand market. But others can be found too.

Regarding weights of parts (g):
Barrelled action - 1892
Bolt - 213
Scope - Leupold Competition TG 6x42 - 398
Rings - Morr Accuracy edge 1" - 44
Stock - 769
Total - 3316 (so still room for stock weight or a heavier scope)

Thanks Tim and Pedro. Interesting to see the details and hard to imagine shooting a sporter starting my third year shooting ARA Unlimited (including this year) and off sand bags to boot. I would love to see a match shot, just for the experience to see how you-all handle the rifles.

Larry

Thanks Tim and Pedro. Interesting to see the details and hard to imagine shooting a sporter starting my third year shooting ARA Unlimited (including this year) and off sand bags to boot. I would love to see a match shot, just for the experience to see how you-all handle the rifles.

Larry

With a quality front rest with a sporter bag and proper rear bag, just like a heavy gun….mostly free recoil.
It is very satisfying, as I’m sure TKH will testify, to lay down a 250 outside with one.

- Stock
- Barrel/action
- Trigger
- Scope/rings

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

As Tim mentioned there is a lot of information about sporters in the sporter thread.

The format for building sporters has been well proven and there aren't many deviations.

Tim is correct about there being at least two versions of IR 50/50 legal sporters built with solid bottom actions. Tony Larson built one version. I don't know how many copies he made but one of them shot the very first and I think only 250 25X cards ever shot with a sporter.

Bill Calfee built anther version for DJ Hepler. DJ 's sporter has never been shot much, if at all, in competition.

The only successful barrels in this class have been the Calfee profile No. 1 and Calfee profile No 2. These barrels are reverse tapered with a dog knot on the muzzle. This is used to set the tune. The latest versions have a waist on the dog knot used to fine tune. This barrel is one piece, so the tuning is one and done.

These profiles are available from Shilen and Dan Muller.

Many smiths have proven capable of building great sporters.

No discussion about sporters can be complete without mentioning Gordon Eck. Gordon built a series of sporters that changed the entire sporter shooting world. Ken Owens, Dexter Bumgardner, Tim Miller, and others have all built great sporters.

There are a few sporters that have been built is the last year or so. If one wanted to build a new sporter you would do well to call Jeremiah Mohr in West Va. He has built some very good sporters of late.

TKH

Last edited:
Larry,

As Tim mentioned there is a lot of information about sporters in the sporter thread.

The format for building sporters has been well proven and there aren't many devastations.

Tim is correct about there being at least two versions of IR 50/50 legal sporters built with solid bottom actions. Tony Larson built one version. I don't know how many copies he made but one of them shot the very first and I think only 250 25X cards ever shot with a sporter.

Bill Calfee built anther version for DJ Hepler. DJ 's sporter has never been shot much, if at all, in competition.

The only successful barrels in this class have been the Calfee profile No. 1 and Calfee profile No 2. These barrels are reverse tapered with a dog knot on the muzzle. This is used to set the tune. The latest versions have a waist on the dog knot used to fine tune. This is barrel is one piece, so the tuning is one and done.

These profiles are available from Shilen and Dan Muller.

Many smiths have proven capable of building great sporters.

No discussion about sporters can be complete without mentioning Gordon Eck. Gordon built a series of sporters that changed the entire sporter shooting world. Ken Owens, Dexter Bumgardner, Tim Miller, and others have all built great sporters.

There are a few sporters that have been built is the last year or so. If one wanted to build a new sporter built you would do well to call Jeremiah Mohr in West Va. He has built some very good sporters of late.

TKH

Every Sporter you see winning big matches will have one of these profiled barrels on them.

Thanks Tony! I appreciate the info.

Larry

Completely forgot about J. Mohr. Anybody who takes up the gauntlet of building sporters should be commended.

Spec 8

Spec 8 is one of the lesser-known Calfee Spec rifles.

It was primarily shot in the north east. I don't think it ever made it out to St. Louis to the ARA Nationals or to any of the IR 50/50 Nationals.

If anyone has more information on this rifle please post it here.

Rumor has it that Spec 8 may make a reappearance in the near future.

Thing about these Calfee Spec rifles they never really die. The owner(s) just keep on reinventing them.

spec8-1.jpeg spec8rifle.jpeg

TKH

Last edited:
Spec 8 is one of the lesser-known Calfee Spec rifles.

It was primarily shot in the north east. I don't think it ever made it out to St. Louis to the ARA Nationals or to any of the IR 50/50 Nationals.

If anyone has more information on this rifle please post it here.

Rumor has it that Spec 8 may make a reappearance in the near future.

Thing about these Calfee Spec rifles they never really die. The owner(s) just keep on reinventing them.

View attachment 25874 View attachment 25876

TKH

Tony, that would be Marcia? I don't see any marking on the stock, is that before BC starting adding the name of the rifle and his name on the rear of the stock?

Larry

Tony, that would be Marcia? I don't see any marking on the stock, is that before BC starting adding the name of the rifle and his name on the rear of the stock?

Larry

That is Marcia. Calfee Spec 8.

I think the pic below is how the rifle looked when delivered. I can't really tell if it had the names on it or not. I do know names were on other Spec rifles before Spec 8 was built.

TKH

Spec 8 Calfee.jpg

Last edited:
New RFBR build

This is not a Calfee but it is a new "state of the art" RFBR build.

Components: Turbo - Action
Muller - barrel
FF - 2.1 Whisper trigger
Stiller Tuner

The stock is black striped curly cherry. It looks a lot like spalted Maple.

The blank was bought from curlymaplewood.com and sent to Randy Owens to be carved.

The owner, Todd A. Kindler did the finish work.

Rifle is named Barney.

It has been said only accurate rifles are interesting and this one is interesting.

TKH

maple11.jpegmaple121.jpegmaplegp.jpegmaple22.jpegView attachment 25919=CONFIG]25920[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• barneynh.jpeg
    barneynh.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
New Nitro build

The Stiller Nitro was recently released and now a few new builds are showing up at the matches.

The rifle I would like to showcase today is one owned and built by Jim Peightal (stock maker, gunsmith, RFBR competitor, and overall great guy).

This rifle has a Nitro action, FF Whisper Trigger, and a birch spalted stock that Jim carved and finished. The tuner is a Stiller. I'm not sure what barrel Jim has on it but he has been known to use many different brands.

Jim is always a tough competitor and has been doing this a long time in many different RFBR disciplines. He is sorting the rifle out and I'm sure he will in short order.

The pics I took at the match does not do it justice, this is one beautiful rifle.

TKH

jimsstock.jpegjimsbirchstock.jpegjimsstock3.jpegjimsstock2.jpeg

Last edited:
The Stiller Nitro was recently released and now a few new builds are showing up at the matches.

The rifle I would like to showcase today is one owned and built by Jim Peightal (stock maker, gunsmith, RFBR competitor, and overall great guy).

This rifle has a Nitro action, FF Whisper Trigger, and a birch spalted stock that Jim carved and finished. The tuner is a Stiller. I'm not sure what barrel Jim has on it but he has been known to use many different brands.

Jim is always a tough competitor and has been doing this a long time in many different RFBR disciplines. He is sorting the rifle out and I'm sure he will in short order.

The pics I took at the match does not do it justice, this is one beautiful rifle.

TKH

View attachment 25933View attachment 25934View attachment 25935View attachment 25936

That is one beautiful stock! Well done Jim!

Larry

Another highly figured stock!

Jim, that is so beautiful and to have the skills to make a stock and build a complete rifle is so special! Thanks Tony for sharing these special rifles for all of us to enjoy. Todd

Back