Repeater actions from Turbo

tonykharper

I just saw Turbo is now offering the Turbo V 3 as repeaters. The previous Turbo repeater sporter actions were all two lug I believe.

It has been a long time since they were available. Looks like they are back now updated and improved.

Here is a video of one in action. Note not only is it loading from the clip it is extracting and ejecting loaded rounds.

I think there is a 5 round clip and a 10-round clip available. Plus you can have a right or left port action.

I haven't actually seen one but if you have, please let us know what you think.

TKH

What is it about the oversized mags that is special?

TKH
Wasn't the selling point of them being sold as "trainers" having the same "feel" as they're centerfire match rifle but able to train with cheaper 22 ammo?
Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Now, is a V3 , crescent pin TD Junior gonna be in the works? I'll bet you can't resist it.;)

What is it about the oversized mags that is special?

TKH
Well, the big, oversized, butt ugly magazines are in vogue's in today’s world. Look at Vudoo, Rim-X, Begara, PGT, you can even get a classic Remington 40X converted to accept the big, oversized, butt ugly magazine.

Personally. If had to design a .22 repeater, it would use a Ruger rotary magazine. JMO

Nice, I like the look of this. Has a bit of metal underneath for good bedding. Bedding is important. For a benchrest sporter should work nice.

Wasn't the selling point of them being sold as "trainers" having the same "feel" as they're centerfire match rifle but able to train with cheaper 22 ammo?
Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Now, is a V3 , crescent pin TD Junior gonna be in the works? I'll bet you can't resist it.;)
I do recall that selling point. Using .22s as trainers for centerfires. But I don't know if many shooters are actually doing that. I would think when you pulled the trigger of the centerfire all of your motor skills learned with the .22 would go right out the window. On the other hand I recall the USAF buying a bunch of air rifles to use to train marksmanship. So maybe there is a carry over there somewhere. That said I agree with George they are butt ugly.

I think all new V3s have the crescent firing pin and I may be tempted to build a sporter on one, but TD Junior isn't going anywhere. That rifle has covered for me so many times.

TKH

I wonder if there would be any accuracy difference between the solid bottom and the repeater. I also wonder what the accuracy would be like actually feeding from the clip. If there will be a single shot follower.

I wonder if there would be any accuracy difference between the solid bottom and the repeater. I also wonder what the accuracy would be like actually feeding from the clip. If there will be a single shot follower.
Frankr,

I think the solid bottom action was more for centerfire because it added stiffness to the action. Don't think it make much of a difference to rimfire. I know the Flash Ebert Turbo sporters shoot just as well as the solid bottom models and so did the 10Xs.

As for feeding from the clip, the video showed that it worked but I don't know if it damages the round as it is being loaded. I need to get one in my hands to test. Maybe others will share their experience.

The follower would be a fair easy thing to make so I'm sure they will be available at some point.

TKH

Frankr,

A single shot adapter would be easy enough to make, and I will, if there is a need.

Frankr,

I think the solid bottom action was more for centerfire because it added stiffness to the action. Don't think it make much of a difference to rimfire. I know the Flash Ebert Turbo sporters shoot just as well as the solid bottom models and so did the 10Xs.

As for feeding from the clip, the video showed that it worked but I don't know if it damages the round as it is being loaded. I need to get one in my hands to test. Maybe others will share their experience.

The follower would be a fair easy thing to make so I'm sure they will be available at some point.

TKH
Tony,

The positioning of the magazine allows the round to be seated in the face of the bolt prior to the bullet itself touching the chamber throat. I have cycled close to 1000K rounds through the prototype over the past week looking for damage to the bullet (both Eley and Lapua) and I have not experienced any noticeable bullet damage. Also, by using the Savage Mark II magazines, I was able to keep the front bedding screw at the front of the receiver, this was not possible using the CZ magazines and holders we've used for the IR 50/50 Sporter receivers. Due to the size and the required positioning when using the CZ magazine and holder, the forward bedding screw had to be moved towards the center of the receiver on the IR 50/50 Sporter model.

A question was asked on another forum regarding the ability of the receiver to extract live rounds from the chamber if I closed the bolt. The answer is yes, the chamber in the barrel attached the repeater in the video is our standard BR chamber which has a live round protruding from the face of the barrel at first contact of the chamber lead of approximately 0.140".

Anthony

A couple of comments.

I like the large mags because I find them easier on my old hand but obviously not everyone is a fan.

For anyone interested about how the round is handled by this action it is worth slowing the video down to ,25 speed and make your own judgement of the attitude of the round as it advances. I wonder, would it be possible to have a similar video shot but with the camera slightly behind the port so that one could see the breech face.

A couple of comments.

I like the large mags because I find them easier on my old hand but obviously not everyone is a fan.

For anyone interested about how the round is handled by this action it is worth slowing the video down to ,25 speed and make your own judgement of the attitude of the round as it advances. I wonder, would it be possible to have a similar video shot but with the camera slightly behind the port so that one could see the breech face.
Here you go:

I’m looking at it and to me the rear mag release needs to be longer. I’m going to say a bottom metal trigger guard and a pillar and screw kit for the it. If you could get the action. A bottom metal, pillar and screw kit.
I’d have to have one. Clip needs to be almost flush with the bottom metal. Maybe two scallops on both sides of the clip in the bottom metal so you could grab it. The release would need to be at the bottom metal. This would be what many would be asking for. Have been waiting for. I think you would sell tons of them. The bottom metal, pillar and screw kit would seal the deal as user friendly, ease of making a stock for it. Ect ect. Looking good and friendly useable.
These are my thoughts.

I mean I been looking at English walnut blanks. I found a nice one for 600. I should have bought it. I think I could have made a Hunter size BR stock from it. I could have glued ears on and made 3”.

Last edited:
I’m looking at it and to me the rear mag release needs to be longer. I’m going to say a bottom metal trigger guard and a pillar and screw kit for the it. If you could get the action. A bottom metal, pillar and screw kit.
I’d have to have one. Clip needs to be almost flush with the bottom metal. Maybe two scallops on both sides of the clip in the bottom metal so you could grab it. The release would need to be at the bottom metal. This would be what many would be asking for. Have been waiting for. I think you would sell tons of them. The bottom metal, pillar and screw kit would seal the deal as user friendly, ease of making a stock for it. Ect ect. Looking good and friendly useable.
These are my thoughts.

I mean I been looking at English walnut blanks. I found a nice one for 600. I should have bought it. I think I could have made a Hunter size BR stock from it. I could have glued ears on and made 3”.
Can you elaborate on the bottom metal trigger guard? What I mean is, are you asking for a bottom metal trigger guard that would incorporate the magazine as well? As far as the mag release goes, we’re making these in house so manufacturing a longer version would not be a problem. Is the idea of the longer release so the tab is flush or extends past the bottom of the magazine? At the moment, we’re modifying the standard magazine holders to fit so designing and manufacturing one would not be an issue, just wanting to understand what would make these more acceptable for the different disciplines they may be used. As far as pillars, trigger guard and screw kits, again not an issue as we build complete rifles and make our own components in house. I have a GRS wood stock with an adjustable cheek and butt extension that I’m planning to put one in for show. Will post pics when I get around to finishing the build soon.

Last edited:
Back