Question About Corroded Brass?

antelopedundee

internet bum
What would cause the corrosion on these cases? They are some once-fired .300 Win Mag cases I picked up at the range maybe 7 years ago. Since then they have been in my basement in the plastic belt strip in the Remington factory box. A number of the cases [not pictured] are still like they were when picked up. As I recall they were picked up within an hour of being fired.

CASES1.jpg

CASES2.jpg

Last edited:
My guess

is acidic reaction of some sort. It could be from some sort of reaction to the plastic holders or box material. Section a few and see if the defect is internal out or outside in.

Could have been the finger of the guy chambering it originally.

BTW, is that case expansion immediately in front of the belt?

Could have been the finger of the guy chambering it originally.

BTW, is that case expansion immediately in front of the belt?

The other cases in the box aren't corroded. I don't have a new factory round to compare, but IIRC case head expansion due to high pressure usually results in a bright ring around the case head. In checking with a magnifier I don't see any sign of case head separation either.

I have a bunch of brass, some may be 40 years old or more. Some of it looks just like these. Other pieces in the same original box are in good condition. It must have got something on it and had some sort of reaction.

Joe

A little scotch brite cleaned up the cases. Pulled 2 bullets IMR-3031 looked and smelled good. Reseated bullets. Fired 3 rounds in Garand. 1/2" at 100y. These were loaded 1960. I wasted 3 good rounds on ammo older than me. They had those bronze tips ......

I have a bunch of brass, some may be 40 years old or more. Some of it looks just like these. Other pieces in the same original box are in good condition. It must have got something on it and had some sort of reaction.

Joe

Whatever the guy had on his pinkies must have come off on the first 8-10 rounds, if that's the cause. You'd think some of the other cases might show fingerprints sorta like coins do.

As an aside, just watching someone shoot those bigger calibers makes my shoulder hurt.

Back