Our Fall Trip:

Pete, I'm enjoying your "travel blog". I've been to some of the towns your visiting, & I realized it's been 20 years since I've been to Sedona. I expect you're right about that RETIREMENT COMMUNITY, since a dollar doesn't go far there. I recently spent 10 days in Alaska, & a dollar doesn't go very far there either. :)

Pete, I am glad you are enjoying your trip. Some of the best scenery on earth was placed in that area. I have seen quite a bit of it but I would love to travel that area again. You are so rlight about Brice Canyon. Its' beauty and majesty is beyond us to describe. Can you imigine what the first Spaniard's who stumbled upon the Grand Canyon must have said?

The grandest things that we men build thorough our history are so insignificant when we see these creations of God.

Concho Bill

Affordability:

Pete, I'm enjoying your "travel blog". I've been to some of the towns your visiting, & I realized it's been 20 years since I've been to Sedona. I expect you're right about that RETIREMENT COMMUNITY, since a dollar doesn't go far there. I recently spent 10 days in Alaska, & a dollar doesn't go very far there either. :)

It's a fact that a Million bucks aren't what they use to be and there a heck of a lot of millionairs today who can live wherever they want to live, I see it everywhere I go. I'm not one of them but that was my choice, to a large extent, so I don't agonize over it. I simply do the best I can.

It appears to me that retirees are expanding the populations of the places I seem to frequent while on Vacation as well as where I Winter. New building going on everywhere. I have yet to find a place at any of them I would give up summers in Maine for, however. I guess it's all in what one becomes use to but I plan to keep doing what I do now as long as I can.

Pete

It's nice Bill,

Pete, I am glad you are enjoying your trip. Some of the best scenery on earth was placed in that area. I have seen quite a bit of it but I would love to travel that area again. You are so rlight about Brice Canyon. Its' beauty and majesty is beyond us to describe. Can you imigine what the first Spaniard's who stumbled upon the Grand Canyon must have said?

The grandest things that we men build thorough our history are so insignificant when we see these creations of God.

Concho Bill

There are so many places in this country that are so beautiful I don't know why anyone would ever wan to leave it to go overseeas. We seem to find a new and unexpected sight or site every day. Today it was the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. There were a number of other National Monuments we passed for lack of time to see them.

It is difficult to imagine a surprise like those who discovered these sights or sites must have felt because of their awe. Makes one feel mighty small when seeing and being in them.

Pete

Move Day:

We headed North today after visiting the Vortex we couldn't find parking at yesterday. Went cross country as far as we could coming up out of Sedona and it was absolutely beauiful. I try to go cross country now every chance I get. I am not in a hurry most of the time and I have grown to dislike Interstates. Sometimes, because of time, it is necessary to use them but I still prefer the side roads.

On the way accross I-40 we saw the sign for the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. We had the time so we hauled er off the big road and went to find them. We found them both to be of moderate interest but got two more Passport Stamps so it was worth doing. We decided to stay in Gallup tonight and ate dinner in a Sports Bar that was reccommended by the AAA Travel Guide. The food and service were both good. The owner stopped by, introduced himself and asked about the food and service. Normally this annoys me to no end but this lad had a pleasant way about him so I felt ok about his visit.

We found our hotel after a bit and it is the nicest re-furb I have stayed in to date. Very classy furnishings and fixtures with only a couple of small defects I have found so far. We are going back up to Moab tomorrow and will see Canyonlands and The Arches before leaving Sunday morning to return home. This has been a great trip so far and relaxing. None of it has bored me as yet but I am thinking Canyonlands may be close to tripping that, we'll see.

Pete

Back to Moab

After a pretty good "Free" hotel breakfast we set sail for Moab, Utah . We decided to drive directly North from Gallup which took us through Cortez, Colorado and then over to Moab. It was a nice drive once we got to Cortez. There was paving and slow speed limits up through the Res but back to normal and a more reasonable speed limit once we got to Colorado. From Cortez over toward Monticello , there was a lot of Green and alfalfa being cut and bailed. Nice ride. SWMBO wanted to stop by the 4 corners again to see if one of the vendors there had received a tee shirt she liked but was out of her size. As luck would have it, he had just received them yesterday so after a couple more pictures, on we drove.

A few miles south of Moab, there is a place called Hole in the Rock, which is a tourist attraction. A fellow and his wife carved a cave home out of one of the red rock formations there. It has been a number of things over time but now is a tourist attraction. Somewhat interesting but not much to see really. So, on to our room and another dinner in Charlie Steen's place.

Arches and Canyon lands tomorrow.

Pete

End of the trail:

We knocked off Canyonlands and Arches today so we have completed the big Canyon Park Circle. We found the same to be true of these two that we found with the others, the canyons one can drive through are more spectacular than those one views from above. The only one we missed was Capitol Reef but it wasn't convenient for us. Some 2400+ miles on the old stead this past eight days... we didn't dally around much. Had another fine dinner at Charlie Steen's old house tonight. I had the Duck again and it was better tonight than the first time I had it there. Ms J had a Pecan Honey Chicken she couldn't finish and said it was scrumptious.

We have our boarding passes courteous y of the Moab Library and are set to go to Grand Junction and get on the big bird. This has been a trip to remember, for sure. The best parts of it for us were the surprises, like the Flat Bed Ford on Rt 66 in Winslow and the National Monuments that aren't publicized that much. It's always the unexpected that is so pleasant, isn't it?

One thing I noted was the large number of Europeans here touring. Lots of Germans, many of them youngish and British folks our age and often older. There was even a lecture going on in German when we visited Bryce and it was well attended. Lots of millennials here too. There's a big article in this month's Geo about them and their visiting Nature. Perhaps there IS hope for them :). And Mountain Bikes! Moab seems to be Mecca for them. Ever seen a five thousand dollar bicycle?

So, another trip report and thanks for all the views. Hope it was interesting for those who followed us.

Pete

Last edited:
Try to sell one of those folks riding a 5K bicycle a benchrest rifle for half that price.

Thanks Pete! Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as it appeared...

Pete, I have seen a $5000 22. I just think that that is way too much to spend for a bike. What some people will buy.

Concho Bill

Finding a hotel is not an easy task. Often expectations do not coincide with reality. ________ helped me find a great hotel for my vacation. I was looking for a comfortable place to stay in Malibu and thanks to this service I found the perfect option. Great service, clean rooms, convenient location and a gorgeous ocean view - everything you need for a memorable vacation.

===========

MODERATOR'S COMMENTS - THE ABOVE MAY BE SPAM (PARTICULARLY HAVING BEEN POSTED A FEW MINUTES AFTER THE POSTER REGISTERED AS A MEMBER), BUT IT MAY NOT BE; THUS, I LEFT IT BUT DELETED THE INCLUDED LINK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back