On Electric Cars:

Pete Wass

I visited a friend last week and found he had recently purchased two new cars, both the same Japanese brand. I asked him if he had considered a Hybrid model and he said no.

He went on to say someone in his work place had recently purchased a hybrid and another lad there said to the new owner, "Congratulations on the purchase of your Coal Fired Automobile". Guess as it turns out, Coal Fired Plants churn out the majority of our electric power.

I thought that amusing and also thought it made sense. Some sort of carbon makes most of the electric power. So, pay a premium to get not much more mileage and still leave a huge carbon footprint?

Pete

Just plug it in . The wall is full of volts and amps

Elon Musk just recently sent his electric car into outer space.

1st electric car, around 1830

1st hydrogen fuel cells came out 8yrs later.....1838

1st practical electric car,1860. Fairly "popular" until around 1900

1st gas cars came out in the late 1880's and by 1910 had completely supplanted the two older and less efficient technologies.

Nothing has happened to change this paradigm. Burning fossil fuel to "make" ("produce?") the other two fuels is still a net loss for my beloved planet.

And "collecting" solar and wind is an even greater rape of our resources.

But electric cars are wikkid fah'st eh.....WIKKID fah'st.

Almost as fast as Elon thee Musk.

But Elan Musk just recently sent his electric car to the SUN and beyond without an extension cord.

Even today, in Bristol VA/TN, an 1890's electric car shows up at parades. In the 1950's that electric car was driven to town on Saturdays.

Think I'll work on an electric PPC.

The all electric cars run somewhere between 250 and 300 miles before they need a recharge. Fine for City living.
So you're out on the road, somewhere between plum and nearly and the battery goes dead. Then what? The tow service isn't free.
The hybrid is a little different story. I do know of a lady that ran her hybrid out of gas because she thought she could go forever. (DUH!!) And she wasn't even blond.
Just wait till the hybrid battery needs replacing. That'll put a pucker in your pocket book. So much for saving $$.

But Elan Musk just recently sent his electric car to the SUN and beyond without an extension cord.

Even today, in Bristol VA/TN, an 1890's electric car shows up at parades. In the 1950's that electric car was driven to town on Saturdays.

Think I'll work on an electric PPC.

Electric PPC........ I wonder how much fossil fuel Musk burnt up in the rocket Smallwood's company sent up???

Thermodynamics..by ordinary means energy can neither be created nor destroyed
Big scam..takes more net energy to build operate an electric car and batteries are toxic to the environment..how do we dispose of them in the future? and Cost of batteries over maybe 8 years ownership as long as gas prices hold will exceed the savings with the battery driven car...Take away the tac incentive and they go out of business next week. Crony Capitalism.

The Horse the Horse is the way we should be headed back to. A little poop on the streets, some food and water and oh what a laid back and relaxing way to get to work before we have to face the stress's of the new working day. Doesn't get much greener and more economical than it until they find a way to tax you out of it.

So does....

The all electric cars run somewhere between 250 and 300 miles before they need a recharge. Fine for City living.
So you're out on the road, somewhere between plum and nearly and the battery goes dead. Then what? The tow service isn't free.
The hybrid is a little different story. I do know of a lady that ran her hybrid out of gas because she thought she could go forever. (DUH!!) And she wasn't even blond.
Just wait till the hybrid battery needs replacing. That'll put a pucker in your pocket book. So much for saving $$.

Another item that will "pucker" your pocket book is a rebuilt automatic transmission. About the same price as a new hybrid battery.

The batteries in the 'Volt in space' discharged quickly.

Batteries in a radiation environment have always had issues.

They are vulnerable to both gamma rays (photons) and particle radiation.

Either type produces free charge carriers as it travels through the battery.

The free charge carriers then allow the battery to 'leak' additional charge resulting in them discharging faster.

The resistance across the batteries stored charge essentially becomes smaller with all the free charge carriers produced by the radiation.

The insulation becomes 'leaky.'

But being so smart Musk knows all and likely never asked anyone that knows about batteries in radiation environments.

Nothing wrong with electric cars

but people who think they are getting away from using carbon are sadly mistaken. No free lunch yet, in that regard. No perpetual motion that produces well, that I have ever seen.

pete

Here's some stats for the Greenies. 6' 5" 270# stuff your Prius where the sun don't shine. I'll drive my guzzler 70 mph at 23 mpg as long as I can buy gas for less than 5 bucks a gallon.

Later
Dave

Electric Cars

The following article deals with realities involved with electric cars. Similarly, if we all go to solar electric panels, and are “selling” electricity back to the grid, at what point will the owners of the grid demand payment for us to be hooked up to their grid?!?

Well, as Gomer Pyle would have said, “SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!” I guess some people’s idea of efficiency is a bit different than mine.

Canadian Comments On Electric Powered Vehicles For USA People - INTERESTING !!

IT WOULD SEEM THAT IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN YOUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE! Keep in mind the California Legislature is considering placing a mileage tax on motor vehicles.

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile has never been discussed. All you ever hear is the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity.

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power cars, yet it is being shoved down your throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.

A British Columbia Hydro executive supposedly said: If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On a small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a Tesla. If even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Your residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as your genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are you being urged to buy these things and replace your reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but you will also have to renovate your entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until you're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS!' and a shrug.

A man named Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.” Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned. If you pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus. It looks like the “Greenies” in the American Government want loyal Americans NOT to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.

The following article deals with realities involved with electric cars.

Canadian Comments On Electric Powered Vehicles For USA People - INTERESTING !!

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned. If you pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

My recent electric bill shows that I used 600 kWh; the cost (including fees and taxes) was 79.76. By my math, that equals $0.13 per kWh. My Aug bill showed that I used 960 KWH; the cost (including fees and taxes) was 133.34, or $.14 per kWh. Am I missing something, or does electricity cost about nine times as much in Canada?

correct

but people who think they are getting away from using carbon are sadly mistaken. No free lunch yet, in that regard. No perpetual motion that produces well, that I have ever seen.

pete

even hydrogen powered vehicles...hydrogen made by electrolysis...that takes electricity. One of the reasons we let our 30 acres of big white pine continue to grow is that they sequester carbon every year. We do try, within reason, to go easy or to do something to help offset our C footprints. All one can do at this juncture.

..........even hydrogen powered vehicles...hydrogen made by electrolysis...that takes electricity.........

"Even hydrogen" he says..... "EVEN HYDROGEN" as if "as good as hydrogen fuels cells are, "even they" take electricity to fill"....

There is simply no nice way to say this, breaking hydrogen out is a 30% LOSS GAME..... steam power is more ecomomical (hence easier on my planet)

period.

And THIS bit of feel-good-ism....sheesh!

One of the reasons we let our 30 acres of big white pine continue to grow is that they sequester carbon every year. We do try, within reason, to go easy or to do something to help offset our C footprints. All one can do at this juncture.

"All one can do at this juncture"

This really deserves a tagline "S#!T White People Say"

"One of the reasons"........

dude, I live on a tree farm, and believe me, I don't feed people some line about "sequestering carbon".....

I've got it...I've got it..... PEDAL POWER.

Now that we are all letting the ILLEGALS mow our lawn and we are going to the gym for exercise, just put generators on the exercise machines, instead of the friction drags, then use that electricity to break down water and use the hydrogen from that breakdown.

After all hydrogen is the most combustible element on this planet and when it is ignited to run the engine it just goes back to water!!! ....and back to the gym.

We're all hip on solar, wind power, and gas fired power plants, and never a word about hydro-electric. Hydro runs 24-7 unlike the other two feel good green sources that produce maybe 40% of the time.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Oh just

stick it where the sun don't shine...sheesh dude. I like my pine trees, so do the deer when they winter in the yards, they sequester huge amounts of carbon each year, are beautiful to look at, relaxing to walk through...all in all I like them better than some people...no one specific in mind.

Did you forget some meds this morning or are you normally so high strung and unable to understand a fellow man's opinion, or express your personal views about it in a civilized way?

And THIS bit of feel-good-ism....sheesh!

"All one can do at this juncture"

This really deserves a tagline "S#!T White People Say"

"One of the reasons"........

dude, I live on a tree farm, and believe me, I don't feed people some line about "sequestering carbon".....

Last edited:
Back