N133 Temperature Sensitivity

rsrw

Hello all,

I figured I’d come to the source, so to speak, as I know you all use a lot of N133.

I’m an older guy, crested that 70 mark, mostly shoot for fun, but do shoot Groundhog Shoots here in the Northeast. I shoot a custom 223 with 52 grain bullets. Over the years I have used many powders, but just this year discovered N133 and I am totally sold on this stuff.

As we are getting into the cold weather now, I was wondering how stable the N133 is in the cold? I have been using Benchmark for many years and it didn’t really give me too much of an issue in the cold. I was wondering if you all might have discovered a certain velocity drop, per some degree(s) of temperature decrease?

I’m not sure if I’m even asking the question in the right manner, but I sure would appreciate, whatever information you guys could provide me, about the powder and cold temps.

Thanks so much.

Scott

I'm right behind you in age and interested in the same question. This year i switched to N-133 for my 223 using a 50 gr Vmax. I would like to try a 52 gr Matchking this coming year.

I'm right behind you in age and interested in the same question. This year i switched to N-133 for my 223 using a 50 gr Vmax. I would like to try a 52 gr Matchking this coming year.
I’m shooting the 52 Matchking’s and I really like them. They are just kind of hard to find.

I've used N310 for years as my bullseye pistol powder. It's most stable temperature range appears to be 75F to 90F. I carry my reloads and loaded magazines in a small cooler and dial thermometer. In the summer when range temperatures are running 95F plus I add a zip lock baggy with ice. When Temps go below 70F I add hard warmer packs. Hot weather, more power. Cold weather, less power.

I’m shooting the 52 Matchking’s and I really like them. They are just kind of hard to find.
Earlier this month I asked a Sierra ballistic tech about the #1410 availability. His response:

"We should be making more soon, hopefully before the end of the year. If you have a backorder through one of the major mail order distributors already, you’ll get them as soon as we can ship them to the distributor. You also have an option of putting in a backorder with us directly now, or going to our https://www.sierrabullets.com/product-category/in-stock/?show_products=122 website to purchase them when we have enough to sell. It has been a long road, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, thank you for your patience."

Dear Scott, Just for fun I thought I would give you an answer. Being a former groundhog enthusiast and former BR shooter that used N133 for BR.
Here is what I suggest for any temperature with N133. If you are shooting under 0.100" groups with N133 you will probably see some differences.
If your shooting 0.250" to 0.500" you may not see much of a difference. If you can hit minute of groundhog out to 300 yards you will probably not see any difference. Over 500 yards you will need a bigger groundhog. Try the Sierra 55 gr PSP, pointed soft points.
Centerfire

Back