Iowa Caucuses

Hunter

Screamer Dreamin'
Given the weather and DT's participation, I'm anxious to see the results of tonight's caucuses. Anyone here have any thoughts to share?

Given the weather and DT's participation, I'm anxious to see the results of tonight's caucuses. Anyone here have any thoughts to share?
Given the weater conditions, I wouldn't wager the results have a lot of meaning other than there will be a winner.

My experience!
-At 6:05 we (Wife and I) left home
-Picked up neighbors (Mr and Mrs) at 6:08 They were ready and quickly got in car(It was -3F)
-Drove to voting site arriving at 6:25
First impression
-Parking lot was full
-the large gathering place was packed with people (Surprised at # of people)

Registered to vote showing Drivers license and a Water bill statement from city showing current address was correct (Making sure I was in correct voting site)
This went quickly and short line --was given a piece of blank paper 2"X3" which was our ballet

Now to find a seat for 4 people--found empty table near front door---Cool from frequent door openings
Our table area was finished filled up by neighbors and church acquaintances
People continued to file in

At about 7:15 the representatives of each candidate gave a short speech(all were read from a legal pad or type written paper)

After speeches we were instructed to write name (on our sheet of previous given slip of paper) for our choice candidate to lead the Republican party to Victory this fall

These were picked up in a cardboard box passed around the room
These were then separated for each candidate
Then each candidates pile was counted and recorded on another yellow legal pad

There was a representative from each candidate watching these proceedings as well as those of us in attendance

I had left before the totals were announced
Don't know who or how our totals were relayed to state totals

-Forgot to mention the parking lot was covered with packed snow and ice from recent 25.5"snow
-Everyone appeared in a happy mood and courteous
-There were no absent tee ballets allowed
-I didn't hear anyone complaining about the proceedings (Those that know me know I don't hear very well anyway!!!!)

Over all--Glad I went--would encourage others to participate in caucus

CLP

Thanks for the report, Doc. Some questions, if you don't mind:

1. About how many voters do you guess were there?
2. Were late comers (i.e., those who arrived after 7:00) allowed in?
3. Regarding the representatives for each candidate:
a. did they say anything that you didn't already know?​
b. did they take questions?​
c. how many candidates had representatives there?​
4. Did the voters engage in back-and-forth among themselves as to what and why they thought about the candidates?
5. About what time did you leave?
6. Are you allowed to vote in one party's caucus and the other party in the general election?
7. What about the caucus process did you like (other than casting a vote)?
8. Was that your first caucus?
9. It sounds as though state and/or local elections were not involved; are those also determined in a caucus format?

I hope you and your family are doing well.

Thanks for the report, Doc. Some questions, if you don't mind:

1. About how many voters do you guess were there? 300+/-
2. Were late comers (i.e., those who arrived after 7:00) allowed in? only 3/4 and they were allowed in 5-10 min late
3. Regarding the representatives for each candidate:
a. did they say anything that you didn't already know?--No​
b. did they take questions?--No​
c. how many candidates had representatives there?--Unknown--only one from each candidate allowed​
4. Did the voters engage in back-and-forth among themselves as to what and why they thought about the candidates?--not really--we came to cast our vote--then wanted to leave--some friendly kidding going on
5. About what time did you leave?---about 8:15 guessing
6. Are you allowed to vote in one party's caucus and the other party in the general election?--yes
7. What about the caucus process did you like (other than casting a vote)?---orderly--well organized
8. Was that your first caucus?--no
9. It sounds as though state and/or local elections were not involved; are those also determined in a caucus format?--usually--when a vacancy occurs during ones term there will be appointments until next election cycle

I hope you and your family are doing well.--Thanks--Doing fine for a "YOUNG COUPLE"

Back