Installing a new bolt in a Remington 40X

gklitz

Good morning,
I have acquired a high condition Remington 40X, the price was very reasonable due to the fact it is missing its bolt.
Pacific Tool and Gauge offers these replacement bolts and firing pins but state they need to be installed by a gunsmith.
I am looking for such in my part of the US but wonder if there are tricks such a gunsmith should know before I hire one here in MN.
PT&G advised purchasing their bolt in the white for fitting and then retuning to be blued.
Hopefully the combined knowledge of this sites users will provide me with needed tips and tricks to ask of the gunsmith.
And lastly is there someone that I should absolutely be sending this rife to instead of a local gunsmiths for proper fitting?
I appreciate your responses and thank you.

Gerald

there is a bolt guy in alaska, well known for excellent work..but i do not recall his name, maybe someone will chime in

If it needs a handle installed Dans40x has been highly recommended. This is probably the least understood area of gunsmithing as it involves camming for extraction as well as cocking the bolt so it does not interfere with the sear trigger engagement when closed.
If this is about headspacing the barrel, anyone who does decent barrel work can do that for you

Long Rifle Inc does this type of job. He's next door to you in SD.

Thanks for the replies.

Not being well versed with bolt rifles all I understand at this time is that the new rifle will require an entirely new bolt and firing pin fitted.
I do understand head spacing and its importance though not it's technical application for fitting a new bolt and it is why I am looking for gunsmiths that do.
I will see what I can track down from the shops mentioned, I do need to order the new bolt but thought I would try for suggestions here on this site before ordering just in case the gunsmiths have their own thoughts about sourcing a new bolt.

Gerald

The main deal with attaching a bolt handle on a bolt is getting the timing right. You will want to make sure whoever you go with understands this. Chad at LRI has done a lot of this sort of work.

OP,
Your newly acquired 40X is a 40X rimfire or centerfire 40X?

IF,the OEM barrel is installed on either rimfire or centerfire the task of fitting a bolt is elementary.

IF,an aftermarket barrel is installed simple measurements will set the precedence.

No my first Rodeo!!

ACCU-TIG.com

Good afternoon Dan and thank you for your reply, all good information.
My 40X is in 22LR and has its factory barrel still.
I looked on Pacific Tool and Gauge's website for a new bolt and it is their caveat that as gunsmith fit their bolt.
Not being that well versed with bolt guns is why I posted my question on the fitting before I went ahead and ordered a replacement bolt.
Appreciate your thoughts.

Gerald

gklitz,
A 40X rimfire has a 722 straight/perpendicular bolt handle w/a round knob (aka 721/722).
A 40XR rimfire has a swept bolt handle w/ knurled knob (aka 700).

The 40X rimfire bolt has middle bolt lugs that lock up in the forward face of the rear bridge of the receiver.
Bolt lugs are .375" in length.
The forward end of the 40X rimfire bolt is pinned thru each bolt lug allowing the aft end of the bolt to rotate into & out of battery.
The firing pin & main spring is specific to the 40X rimfire.

IF an aftermarket bolt is fit w/ a couple thousandths excess headspace, shims can be installed aft of the forward bolt section...or
order a PT&G aft section w/ .378" length bolt lugs to be custom fit.

Is this receiver US marked?
If so,the de-mill process was to take the rifle out of service by removing & disposing of the bolt assy.

Thank you for your reply.
No this is not a US marked action, just a high condition rifle that lost its bolt somewhere along the way.
I have purchased a new bolt from Pacific Tool and Gauge and the rifle is currently in the hands of Long Rifle Inc (a source referenced by several fro this website) to be installed and fitted.

Back