Hunter Class Score Competition

Joe Duke

I believe we have been asking the wrong question or perhaps considering the wrong solution when we address modifying the hunter class rifle requirements.

We have been discussing perhaps modifying the scope requirements or rifle weight to take advantage of more modern variable scopes and thus overcome the fact that there is no suitable 6 power rifle scope currently in production. And this does bear merit. All the scopes currently in use are probably 20 or more years old and are subject to breakage just as any scope is. Additionally, as far as I know, there is only one business doing repairs on them. Their stock of parts must be old as well. One day, all this equipment will be used up. Whether soon or later, I cannot say. But it does have a finite lifetime.

However, the larger question in my mind is how to ensure that new shooters join the Hunter class in order to keep it as a viable competition. It is the older and more venerable of the two classes that we currently shoot and in my mind, it certainly is worth preserving and growing.

But, changing the rules or equipment requirements will not preserve the class unless we figure out how to attract new shooters to the class. Currently, there are just not enough participants in the class. At the recent score nationals, we had only 46 shooters compete in the Hunter class. This has been close to the average participation for the last few years. When I look at the Gulf Coast region, I count 13 Hunter shooters who attended the Nationals this year. Three of those were shooters who built or acquired a Hunter class rifle specifically for the Nationals competition.

Further, in all the discussion to date, many have voiced the same opinion that they would like to see more ranges and matches in their area.

Now, attracting new shooters to Benchrest has been beat to death in recent years with it seems no real consensus on how to get more people into the sport. It just seems like there are no good answers. But, Mr. Randy Robinett set me to thinking recently. Reviewing the Nationals, he proudly pointed out that folks in his region had taken all of the top five placings in the Two Gun Agg. Hmmm. Stirred my competitive side a bit and so I looked at the Gulf Coast results. Not bad. Our top five took 9th,10th,11th,12th, and 17th. But clearly outclassed by their performance. And that set me to thinking about the origins of score shooting way back when.

To boil it all down, there was an organization / group called the Trans Continental League. In a nutshell, when each club held their scheduled matches, they submitted their top five scores as their team of that match to the TCL which then tabulated all the scores and issued a publication showing who won what that match. Mr. Robinett and others can supply more details but the gist is a regular competition at the club level to get and hold the interest of shooters. Combine that with a mentor program whereby new shooters can be introduced to the game of score shooting and we might be able to bring back some of the deep interest that score shooting enjoyed in years past.

So my idea is to form a league like structure of local clubs to participate in regularly scheduled Score matches with results to be submitted to a central collection point. The scores then could be tabulated, winners determined, and results posted for all to see and enjoy. This organization would not be affiliated with any of the major groups but would be open to club participation from all clubs sponsoring score matches shot on common NBRSA or IBS style score targets. Clubs would also conduct the matches following either IBS or NBRSA rule of competition.

The TCL relied on written score submission and written publication of the results. In today’s world, the scores could be submitted electronically and all results published electronically. Additionally, this need not be limited to Hunter class. If the number of shooters were there, we could contest Hunter, VFS, and possibly Two Gun. Just have to figure out what the rules are and how it could be administered.

Eventually, if we build enough interest, then we may have to look at Hunter rifle requirements in order to make equipment readily available to everyone. That would be a good thing.

What say you? Any merit to any of this?

Joe:
While I agree with your basic premise, your proposal does not address the issue of the lack of suitable scopes for new shooters and replacements of our old scopes. My son just purchased a used hunter class benchrest rifle. Where does he go to find a scope since the prior owner or the intermediary kept the scope? We still have the problem of using current variable scopes that weigh more than the fixed 6 power scopes.
Another issue is the lack of participating clubs. If I can't find at least 4 more shooters who want to meet and hold a contest and you have a place to host the shoot, we will not be able to participate in a club shoot. Where does the encouragement of participating come from?
I personally think there is a fundamental problem of acquiring equipment ( scopes in particular) to participate and anything we can do to make it easier is a step in the right direction. New shooters don't necessarily know what to look for on the internet, let alone being able to go into Bass Pro, etc. and find a scope that fits their needs.
We need to do something to stem the reduction of participants and adjustments to the rifle specifications is easier.
Al Elliott

Al, I am deliberately trying to stay out of the equipment issues here although I do recognize the issue. I tried to address that by saying the clubs would conduct matches "following either IBS or NBRSA rules". Those rules might change as time progresses.
It seems to me that a grass roots effort established score shooting in the beginning. Now, it is shrinking rapidly and if that is not turned around soon it will cease to exist. So since a grass roots effort built it in the beginning, why not try that to rejuvenate the sport. I fully realize it will take lots of effort at the local level to get re-started. Yes, new shooters certainly need to be guided / mentored. Again, lots of work. But if we don't, who will after the class or classes are gone?
As members of the NBRSA, we are of course currently discussing some rules changes. (BTW, over the last couple of years, I have been able to find and purchase four different 6X scopes. So some are out there for acquisition. But then again, how long will they last as they are old unsupported equipment?)
Anyway, why not another approach to stem the reductions. At this point, we should be trying everything we can to rebuild.

BY the way. This topic is cross posted on Benchrest Central, Accurate Shooter and the facebook group "Benchrest shooting and Gunsmithing" . If you have a particularly good point, please share it on all forums.

MODERATOR'S COMMENTS - THERE'S A CLASSIFIED SECTION HERE THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST. CLICK ON THE HOME TAB ABOVE, THEN CLICK ON THE CLASSIFIEDS BOX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I began shooting Benchrest in the late '90's because my local range had a team in the TCL Postal Matches. My first season was with a 243 Ackley with the variable turned down to 6X. With some excellent mentors (Randy Robinett, Lynn Hansen and Jim Minnig) and a 'smith that liked the challenge (Stan Ware) by the next season that gun had morphed into a real Hunter class rig. From there, I started traveling to registered NBRSA and IBS tournaments in my part of the country and to several IBS and NBRSA National events around the country (New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Kansas.....). I added a VFS rig a year or two later. I stepped away in 2013 to return to drag racing. In late 2020, I sold my race operation and put together a VFS gun. Now for the 2024 season, I've built a Hunter class gun. So I've come around in a circle but went the opposite direction this time. :)

I'm in favor of upping the Hunter weight to 10.5 lbs simply due to the scope issue. The extra weight allowance opens the door for many current variables to be used. That's a simple common sense rule change that everyone can get behind.

The problem isn't the cost of equipment....one look at the PRS world tells you that. My personal thought is that Benchrest itself (IBS/NBRSA, etc) is ridiculous when it comes to the awarding of cash and/or prizes to the winners and top placers. Let's face it, we all enjoy the bit of respect we get from our peers when we do well. And if the winner of a yardage, a Grand or the Two Gun goes home with nothing more than respect and a handful of awards, that's what we've come to accept.

But that doesn't cut it with a new generation looking for a shooting sport to compete in.

Rather than blah-blahing on about this, let's see if this stimulates some conversation. Either pro or con is fine with me. My skin isn't particularly thin. ;)

Good shootin' :) -Al

well we do need an entry level class...not for current members, say a max of x years in the class then no more, say 3 years. production factory rifle under xxx dollars. not rechamber no rebbl.. 30-30 case volume min min 25 cal no restock. an entry class no national champ LOW DOLLAR STARTER CLASS PERIOD

After having watched this string run for several days, there are a number of excellent posts showing insight into rifle competition in general, benchrest shooting as a discipline, and Hunter Score Benchrest in particular. Moving forward, I would like to narrow the discussion down to short range score competition in particular. That being "Hunter Class" and "Varmint for Score" class competition as defined by NBRSA and IBS rules.

In the original post, I stated that there were only 13 Hunter class competitors from the Gulf Coast region at the Nationals last year. The Gulf Coast Region used to be a hot bed of Hunter competition with many clubs participating. The class isn't dead here yet but it certainly is on life support.

The question going forward is: Do you think a postal league competition between local clubs would be beneficial and does it stand a good chance of increasing interest and drawing new competitors into this particular discipline?

Back