Cranking up a new 220 Beggs

Lucky Shooter A

Anyone have recent good loads for the 220 Beggs with 52 gr bullets ?

Its been a while since I shot my first one------H4198 and Benchmark did best for me back then.

Never tried N133 and now we have the LT32 and LT30. Any new results out there ?

Thanks.

A. Weldy

Anyone have recent good loads for the 220 Beggs with 52 gr bullets ?

Its been a while since I shot my first one------H4198 and Benchmark did best for me back then.

Never tried N133 and now we have the LT32 and LT30. Any new results out there ?

Thanks.

A. Weldy

Alan, you will have a hard time finding something that WON'T shoot well in your 220 Beggs. (also known as the Lapua 220 Russian.) ;)

Since the introduction of LT-32, I've used nothing else in both the 220 and 6mm Beggs cartridges. 27.5 grains is a full case in either and shoots terrific! With the 6mm and a 22 inch barrel you can expect 3300 fps; in the 220 with 52 grain bullets, 3550 fps.

Since switching to LT-32, my extreme spreads have been cut in half from what I was experiencing with thrown charges of H4198. I set my Jones measure to throw the desired load in grains and dispense all charges directly into the cases. I typically see extreme spreads of 20 to 30 fps which is, in my opinion, more than adequate for short range benchrest competition.

Enjoy your shooting and best of luck in the matches this year. :)

Gene Beggs

That might have something do to with the grain size of the powder...smaller grain, potentially more accurate thrown charge.

Since switching to LT-32, my extreme spreads have been cut in half from what I was experiencing with thrown charges of H4198. I set my Jones measure to throw the desired load in grains and dispense all charges directly into the cases. I typically see extreme spreads of 20 to 30 fps which is, in my opinion, more than adequate for short range benchrest competition.

Enjoy your shooting and best of luck in the matches this year. :)

Gene Beggs

I'm a little surprised to hear that Gene is now using 27.5grs in a 220. In the past he recommended 26gr of LT 32 and that has worked very well for me. I suppose I've been shooting the lower node, but it has won a lot of fake wood. I guess I'll need to tip the powder can up and go higher and see what that produces.

Rick

I built one and finished it about a year ago. I guess I need to mount a scope and get with shooting it.

117cxlt.jpg

Thanks for the replies

I will start out with LT-32 and sneak up on the top end.

Butch, that is a beauty-----too pretty to shoot.

A. Weldy

I built one and finished it about a year ago. I guess I need to mount a scope and get with shooting it.

117cxlt.jpg

Hey Butch

I've been wondering what the status of that little rifle was. Glad to hear it's finished. What a beauty! Let us know how it shoots. As you know, there's not another one like it in the world.

Later,

Gene Beggs

My loads

We don't have LT here in Australia.

But I have had good results with N133 and Benchmark, both around 27 grains.

Rob.

Rob. Ya got Accurate 2015? Green label.
That's what the Canucks can get....Someone said it was the same stuff. Some others said that it was the leftovers and floor sweeps from LT-32....joke.

I was playing with 27.5 in March. My notes say too hot. I neglected to write down the weather. But, March in Michigan is not hot.
I seem to remember ordering new brass. The primer pockets opened up.
At 27.0 my notes indicate the hotter the better...

Thanks for starting this thread.....going to get back to this....

I dont think so

Rob. Ya got Accurate 2015? Green label.
That's what the Canucks can get....Someone said it was the same stuff. Some others said that it was the leftovers and floor sweeps from LT-32....joke.

In fact we wont even be able to get N133 anymore after this lot is all gone.

So I will be stuck with Benchmark, which is made here.

Rob.

If you have access to the new 8208XTR give that a try, that and Benchmark worked in my limited shooting.
These powders worked better than N133.

Maybe the 220 Beggs should be a new build for a varmint round. Have a 700 sitting waiting for a new barrel.

Back