Changes

Gene DeLoney

Finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the PPC barrels.
The old block was 6 in. long and had 4 bolts per side.
The new block is 7.5 in. long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. sleeves for the different dia. barrels.
Also made a new mount that locates the scope off set to the left and slightly higher.
Shot it today with the rimfire barrel and the results look VERY promising.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,716
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,678
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,738
Finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the PPC barrels.
The new block is 7.5 in. long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. sleeves for the different dia. barrels.
Also made a new mount that locates the scope off set to the left and slightly higher.

Gene, is the sleeve black Delrin?

Gene, is the sleeve black Delrin?

Yes it is.
1.750 O.D. / .900 I.D. for the rimfire barrel. I was a little worried that the thickness of the Delrin might be a problem but doesn't seem to be an issue on the rimfire maybe because of the light recoil.
By the way, the sleeve is in 3 pieces each 2.5 in. long for the 7.5 in. long block.

Yes it is.
1.750 O.D. / .900 I.D. for the rimfire barrel. I was a little worried that the thickness of the Delrin might be a problem but doesn't seem to be an issue on the rimfire maybe because of the light recoil.
By the way, the sleeve is in 3 pieces each 2.5 in. long for the 7.5 in. long block.

Beautiful machine work Gene. Did you build the rest of it? It rivals Jay Young's work.
See you in Phoenix.

Gene Beggs

Beautiful machine work Gene. Did you build the rest of it? It rivals Jay Young's work.
See you in Phoenix.

Gene Beggs

The rail was built by Bob Dodd (RFD) some years back. It came with a V block setup.
I built the bored block and the off set scope mount.
I have a few more ideas to try out and will post pics of on going changes.....for better or worse!
Look forward as usual to seeing you next month.
Gene

Jackie,
My first choice for material for bushings would be phenolic. Temperature stable.[/QUOTE

Dave, We used to work with Phenolic a lot, (Micarta), in the making of water lubricated Rudder Bushings. We don't see it that much any more. The industry has developed other non metallics with better self lubricating qualities.

But I can see where Micarta would be a good choice.

I have a 2.5"X8.5"X48" stick of Micarta and it could be had at a very favorable price. It is green and I think linen.

GUWA, would you expand on your comment?

finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the ppc barrels.
The old block was 6 in. Long and had 4 bolts per side.
The new block is 7.5 in. Long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. Sleeves for the different dia. Barrels.
Shot it today with the rimfire barrel and the results look very promising.
i put 2 pieces of flashing on top and bottom of barrel tighten to 40 bbs

Guwa is a spammer

I've been buying delrin the last couple years that's black. According to my local supplier TAP Plastics all delrin changed from translucent/white to black over night.

Hi Gene,

Although I haven't spent nearly enough time over the last 7 or 8 years trying to get my rail-gun to a competitive level in RFBR like you've attempted, the data I did gather wasn't very promising using a barrel block with several different methods of attachment.

Anyway, on one of my trips a couple of months ago down to Jerry Stiller's shop I decided to bring it along and thought Jerry and I could brainstorm something different to try. We decided an attempt at mounting the action rather than the more common method of attachment would provide enough of a difference to be worth trying. I know this is nothing new, but figured it was worth a shot (pun intended).

Thus far I've only shot it a little bit, but I'm getting better numbers than I had previously and I plan on spending considerable more time with the 15 to 20 barrels I have and various lots of ammo I'll order. This will be a long term project like many others I've done and I primarily structure my shooting around testing/analysis rather than being a competitive shooter.

Thinking this might be of interest to you and maybe a few others, just thought I'd post it and show the modifications we made.

Landy

Jerry isn't scratching his head wondering where to start punching holes. His hand is on the lever moving the bit down. The action block he fabricated is in the foreground.

This is the rail after I got home and did the preliminary testing. It's sitting atop my 2 Ton test bed and ready for action.

This is my ballistic Tunnel I constructed many years ago after I came to the realization there was no information/data available on any forums regarding precision and everything I'm curious about would have to be done by me. This forum is better than most, but the amount of BS is still too high for me to live with and many of the various forums are nearly worthless unless you have the best BS meter in existence and are able to filter the chaff from the background noise.

hi gene,

although i haven't spent nearly enough time over the last 7 or 8 years trying to get my rail-gun to a competitive level in rfbr like you've attempted, the data i did gather wasn't very promising using a barrel block with several different methods of attachment.

Anyway, on one of my trips a couple of months ago down to jerry stiller's shop i decided to bring it along and thought jerry and i could brainstorm something different to try. We decided an attempt at mounting the action rather than the more common method of attachment would provide enough of a difference to be worth trying. I know this is nothing new, but figured it was worth a shot (pun intended).

Thus far i've only shot it a little bit, but i'm getting better numbers than i had previously and i plan on spending considerable more time with the 15 to 20 barrels i have and various lots of ammo i'll order. This will be a long term project like many others i've done and i primarily structure my shooting around testing/analysis rather than being a competitive shooter.

Thinking this might be of interest to you and maybe a few others, just thought i'd post it and show the modifications we made.

Landy

jerry isn't scratching his head wondering where to start punching holes. His hand is on the lever moving the bit down. The action block he fabricated is in the foreground.

this is the rail after i got home and did the preliminary testing. It's sitting atop my 2 ton test bed and ready for action.

this is my ballistic tunnel i constructed many years ago after i came to the realization there was no information/data available on any forums regarding precision and everything i'm curious about would have to be done by me. This forum is better than most, but the amount of bs is still too high for me to live with and many of the various forums are nearly worthless unless you have the best bs meter in existence and are able to filter the chaff from the background noise.

just wonder how bullet handels rumble of the tin sides

Hi Gene,

Although I haven't spent nearly enough time over the last 7 or 8 years trying to get my rail-gun to a competitive level in RFBR like you've attempted, the data I did gather wasn't very promising using a barrel block with several different methods of attachment.

Anyway, on one of my trips a couple of months ago down to Jerry Stiller's shop I decided to bring it along and thought Jerry and I could brainstorm something different to try. We decided an attempt at mounting the action rather than the more common method of attachment would provide enough of a difference to be worth trying. I know this is nothing new, but figured it was worth a shot (pun intended).

Thus far I've only shot it a little bit, but I'm getting better numbers than I had previously and I plan on spending considerable more time with the 15 to 20 barrels I have and various lots of ammo I'll order. This will be a long term project like many others I've done and I primarily structure my shooting around testing/analysis rather than being a competitive shooter.

Thinking this might be of interest to you and maybe a few others, just thought I'd post it and show the modifications we made.

Landy

Jerry isn't scratching his head wondering where to start punching holes. His hand is on the lever moving the bit down. The action block he fabricated is in the foreground.

This is the rail after I got home and did the preliminary testing. It's sitting atop my 2 Ton test bed and ready for action.

This is my ballistic Tunnel I constructed many years ago after I came to the realization there was no information/data available on any forums regarding precision and everything I'm curious about would have to be done by me. This forum is better than most, but the amount of BS is still too high for me to live with and many of the various forums are nearly worthless unless you have the best BS meter in existence and are able to filter the chaff from the background noise.

Hi Landy.....If you can, go back to a post that I made on this forum entitled "barrel block location" and you can see that we both arrived at almost same configuration for an action block.
I tried bedding the action to the block and that seemed to help accuracy.
If you go down a little further in that same post, there is a picture of my current setup. The 1.250 sleeve is bored out for a slip fit over the .900 barrel and then glued with JB Weld and that is set into the V block.
This has proved to be the most accurate set up so far.
Gene

Good luck on you experimentation and let me know if I can be of any help.
Gene

Guwa is a spammer

I've been buying delrin the last couple years that's black. According to my local supplier TAP Plastics all delrin changed from translucent/white to black over night.

You can still buy delrin that's natural, or white (two (slightly) different colors) if you want it. Onlinemetals has an office in WA and I think they carry natural and black.

GsT

finally got around to making up a new block that will accept the rimfire and the ppc barrels.
The old block was 6 in. Long and had 4 bolts per side.
The new block is 7.5 in. Long and has 5 bolts per side and is bored round to accept different dia. Sleeves for the different dia. Barrels.
Shot it today with the rimfire barrel and the results look very promising.
gene what kind of groups at 50 yds and what kind of turner my bbl was 1 250 ishot no. Of ones with old type tuner with fiochi and black box eley with only 75 rds thru it i have 4 other blls to test one a center fire what kind of acc. Do we need to compete today i have been away from it for awhile bill brawand

Ps

gene what kind of groups at 50 yds and what kind of turner my bbl was 1 250 ishot no. Of ones with old type tuner with fiochi and black box eley with only 75 rds thru it i have 4 other blls to test one a center fire what kind of acc. Do we need to compete today i have been away from it for awhile bill brawand
ps i have old rail

Hi Landy.....If you can, go back to a post that I made on this forum entitled "barrel block location" and you can see that we both arrived at almost same configuration for an action block.
I tried bedding the action to the block and that seemed to help accuracy.
If you go down a little further in that same post, there is a picture of my current setup. The 1.250 sleeve is bored out for a slip fit over the .900 barrel and then glued with JB Weld and that is set into the V block.
This has proved to be the most accurate set up so far.
Gene

Good luck on you experimentation and let me know if I can be of any help.
Gene
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the thread you referenced, but I'm already familiar with it. That thread is one of the reasons I decided to go the route of mounting the action because some of the comments matched my results in that the further I mounted the barrel rearward the worse it shot with a barrel block, regardless of the methods I used to secure the block to the barrel. I guess I thought it might be a logical progression to move to an action block.

Unlike you, my limited testing thus far appears to show an improvement with RF after moving to the action block.
Thanks for the offer of help and I'll try to keep you informed when I return to more testing.

I use both robust efficient statistical methods as well as the empirical data from the 90,000 rounds I've fired in my tunnel to quantify precision and I achieved many of my benchmarks for a competitive set-up with my initial testing vs really struggling with a barrel block. I got the impression barrel blocks in a RF rail just don't behave like a CF rail. That may not necessarily be the case with farther testing but it'll probably be some time before I get back to it.

Here are the first 4 lots of ammo I tested with my current set-up several months ago. Each row is 5 x 5-shot grps and the top row is the best but even the poorer lots were spitting out a few small groups. I'm hopeful I'll be able to do much better, but it'll obviously entail much more lot testing and tweaking of the system. I'd be curious to know how they might compare to your current set-up.

Landy

This is a virtual composite group of the lot in the top row.

Just for the fun of it, the 90,000 rds of empirical data I mentioned previously. I exaggerated a bit, there's actually only 86,177 +/- a few hundred rds. LOL

Back