Arthritis

dmort

Given this age group I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this, and doing case prep has become a problem. Anyway I went ahead and bought an electric case prep machine and it helps. Not perfect but helps.

I don't get around like before and didn't mind killing time doing case prep,. but I could only do so many and have to stop. Neck turning is the hardest but I'm way ahead on that. For me neck turning was the only thing I could see on paper. I would sometimes clean primer pockets out of guilt or boredom but that was it.

Since I last posted here I switched the 8 twist Savage barrel for a 14 Criterion From Northwest. Made a difference, 5 shot low threes and mid fours.

Still shooting whistle pigs / sage rats on a 1000 acre ranch..life is good and the hell with arthritis

Mort

I have really appreciated going to no turn chambers a few years back now. No regrets whatsoever. Some situations may make it necessary but don't worry about it affecting accuracy. More people are going the same way I have and going back to no-turns. Bart is too now, I think. You may not think as much of my opinion but his voice carries more weight and I think he has probably found the same that I have. Just do it and don't look back. Your chamber could be opened up but I'd probably just do it as I go, when replacing the barrel(s). I definitely feel ol Arther in my hands as well.

I've a finger on each hand with some arthritic stuff....a reminder of some bare knuckle brawls in my teens. 🥴 Voltaren is a topical that just came off the 'prescription only' list and is available over the counter. My knuckles give it a solid '10'.

Voltaren works, it is an NSAID. I have used it.
I have arthritis in my hands and back, everywhere actually. I have had my thumb joint repaired, a new ankle and a new hip and a foot "frozen" with screws.
Go to the doctor and have him prescribe Celebrex. (or the generic celecoxib) to reduce the effects of arthritis. They are NSAIDS as well, and work very well. Don't use other NSAIDS at the same time.

Sadly too many NSAIDS will screw up your kidney function, and eventually you may have to make the choice between dialysis and pain as your constant companion.

Do, however, continue to reload, as the more you use those arthritic joints, the longer they will continue to work for you.

I've a finger on each hand with some arthritic stuff....a reminder of some bare knuckle brawls in my teens. 🥴 Voltaren is a topical that just came off the 'prescription only' list and is available over the counter. My knuckles give it a solid '10'.

Thanks Al but I have been using Voltaren for some time and it doesn't do much any more. I even wear a wrist brace to minimize hand movement. I'm going to bite the bullet and try injections. I have had several in my neck but they never worked...I guess we will see.

Mort

Voltaren works, it is an NSAID. I have used it.
I have arthritis in my hands and back, everywhere actually. I have had my thumb joint repaired, a new ankle and a new hip and a foot "frozen" with screws.
Go to the doctor and have him prescribe Celebrex. (or the generic celecoxib) to reduce the effects of arthritis. They are NSAIDS as well, and work very well. Don't use other NSAIDS at the same time.

Sadly too many NSAIDS will screw up your kidney function, and eventually you may have to make the choice between dialysis and pain as your constant companion.

Do, however, continue to reload, as the more you use those arthritic joints, the longer they will continue to work for you.
I am already taking Celebrex...will see the doctor soon. Thanks

Mort

Thanks guys, can't tell you how much I appreciate your concern. Your advice was right on.

I saw the doctor yesterday and when we went thru my pills Celebrex wasn't on the list. When or how it got dropped I don't know but I'm back on. I'm scheduled for injections in three weeks but if the pills work they said to call and cancel.

Your a great bunch of guys

Mort

How can someone who owned one or more mid-60s Vette(s) be in such shape?

Last edited:
How can someone who owned one or more mid-60s Vette(s) be in such shape?
Working on cars. The 40 Ford was my last project. Working under the dash was a killer among other things.

The 63 I sold and always regretted it, and that's why I got the 66. My son has it and he sold the 40 Ford for me. I had a lot of fun with the cars.

As long as I can reload and shoot I'm a happy camper!

Mort

Thanks guys, can't tell you how much I appreciate your concern. Your advice was right on.

I saw the doctor yesterday and when we went thru my pills Celebrex wasn't on the list. When or how it got dropped I don't know but I'm back on. I'm scheduled for injections in three weeks but if the pills work they said to call and cancel.

Your a great bunch of guys

Mort
Here's to hoping the celebrex helps. I'm new to this arthritis stuff but can tell ya, it's no fun. Like others have said, keep moving. At least that's what seems to work for me.

I saw an Rheumatologist a couple of years ago and he told me , pretty much, to suck it up, getting old ain't for sissies and I should expect it. I will say, I have improved over this past few months but my right thumb was practically useless off and on for months. 79 and 4 mos., me.

I saw an Rheumatologist a couple of years ago and he told me , pretty much, to suck it up, getting old ain't for sissies and I should expect it. I will say, I have improved over this past few months but my right thumb was practically useless off and on for months. 79 and 4 mos., me.
My x-ray showed bone on bone at the base of my thumb. On the positive side I don't have to load the dish washer anymore!

Mort

My x-ray showed bone on bone at the base of my thumb. On the positive side I don't have to load the dish washer anymore!

Mort
I have bone on bone as well, both my thumbs and shoulders. I have a friend who recently had his right thumb bone on bone rebuilt by a specialized place. Doing OK with it so far.

My wife is suffering of rheumato-polyarthritis and have been on plaquenil for almost 2 decades. It helped her a lot. Plaquenil is a trade mark by SANOFI lab but is almost only HCQ. Some of you may remember the cytokines storm story some 4 years ago.

Long use of HCQ IS damaging the retina but a yearly back of the eye examination will detect the damage very early, much before you "feel" it with your vision. Stopping HCQ is immediately stopping damage progress. Wife took HCQ for 20 years before first eye damage was seen during exam.

Wife is now ... hardly suffering from time to time and should it really be very hard on her, she goes with cortisone. Usually 1 take and the crisis is off within a few hours. For her, induces 1 night without sleep.

She is not using paracetamol or ibuprofen, those 2 are very nasty tricks on the long run.

Her 2 cents. Hope it will help.

Back