Are 20 shots in 22 minutes to much in F Class

Downeast

I have never shot F Class but am quite interested. The nearest range has a club that shoots monthly and when I checked with them about shooting they told met that their normal course of fire was 20 rounds in 22 minutes. Is that the norm? Sounds like that could be a little tough on barrels at times? Again, I don't know enough about the sport to understand everything.

I have never shot F Class but am quite interested. The nearest range has a club that shoots monthly and when I checked with them about shooting they told met that their normal course of fire was 20 rounds in 22 minutes. Is that the norm? Sounds like that could be a little tough on barrels at times? Again, I don't know enough about the sport to understand everything.

Also wondering about barrel?

I checked the rule for international matches (ICFRA Rules):

F13.12. The time allowed for the string irrespective of distance is the number of sighting and scoring shots to be fired times 1 minute – e.g. 17 minutes for 2 sighters and 15 shots to count (or as the number of shots may dictate).

Seems that your local rules are consistent.

Most likely the CoF is more like 22 rounds in 22 minutes - 2 sighters + 20 record shots. That's a pretty standard string for mid-range F-class.

As mentioned above, the rules generally call for 1 minute per record round for mid-range, and 1.5 minutes per record round at long range.

It varies a little, and if it's a string with unlimited sighters, it's not uncommon to lump on an extra 5 minutes and let the shooter decide how many - or how few - sighters to take. But again, it varies. 25 minutes for 20 rds and unlimited sighters isn't uncommon for mid-range, but 30 minutes for 20 rds with unlimited sighters is pretty normal for 1000yds.

That said, it's somewhat unusual for a shooter to actually use all that time, unless they are waiting out a condition or having serious equipment issues. Putting 20 rds plus sighters down range in 5-7 minutes isn't uncommon. Yes, it's hard on barrels. One of the reasons that the dominant calibers in F-Open are a balance of accuracy, wind drift and barrel life. But at the end of the day, barrels are like the tires on a race car: consumable, and part of the price to play.

If you want longer barrel life, shoot FTR. Even then, (big) match winning accuracy in a 308 running Berger 20Xs is typically <2500 rds.

That has been the standard for hi power matches for years. One minute per round. The only time it is not enough time is when you have slow pit service, or your a bad shot with misses and crossfires that the pits can't find. I have shot some of my best 600yards scores in less than 14minutes when the conditions were good.
Try International Muzzleloading matches, you get 30 minutes for 13 shots including loading and rebuilding your prone position NO REST or Bipod, sling only.

I’ve seen a match you had 30 mins for sighters and 15 shots on each on two targets (a none official match)
Just to bring this topic to the top

works great.... most matches are shot unlimited siters.then 20 shots/20 minutes..lotsa people doing it..barrel life depends on caliber and load....

To a new person the time allotment sounds short. In reality it is not, but it does take a few matches or a least practice to grow accustomed to it. The sneaky part is they feel rushed and lose points because of that. With practice one can develop a system of rhythm that eleminates that rushed feeling. In Pistol shooting with a timed section and then a rapid fire section I had it down to the point where I could shoot both with the same rate accuratly ( practice is the key) same for High power rifle, bolt or semi auto action in the rapid fire stages including one reload per string of 10 shots for record.

The limiting factor in time is if you are still shooting at a club that has not moved over to electronic targets, the pit service can be slow. Having a good target puller is critical. A slow puller in the pits can screw you out of your condition,

Back