Anyone Interested in Buying Benchrest.com?

Please keep me in the loop.
TKH
I would be interested when more info is available as well.

Guys, the website was not available (at least on my computer) Mon through yesterday evening; I don't know what happened, or why it came back. I've sent Elmer a message asking for relevant financial details. Regrettably, if the the site goes down again I may not be able to get in touch with you unless I have your contact information; thus, you might want to send me a PM and let me know how I can contact you outside of this site.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have interested parties communicate directly with Elmer? Elmer could post his contact info here, a time frame that he's looking at, etc. The financials should be discussed confidentially and off line, anyway.

I have been gone awhile and sorry to see things as they are. I heard some issues on Accurate Shooter. I have no ideas but hope things work out.

Mort

Not much going on over on the calfee channel these days. Seems like a natural fit for you Tony, should it become available. I'm reasonably sure you'd have his blessing and an honor to do so, if you were to buy/take it over. Just a thought that has probably crossed your mind already.

I talked briefly with Elmer more about selling the website, particularly price. He said interested people would know how to determine value, based on sources they know. He also said the monthly expense of having the website on your browser is pretty minimal. Does that give any of you enough info to make an offer?

Addendum: regarding the second sentence above, the following might be of interest https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal.

Update: Elmer's price is $5K for the domain name; $10K for the whole "kit and caboodle" (in other words, all the content and member information).

Update # 2: I think this website is hosted by GoDaddy (GD). I just talked with a guy at GD (Shane) about a possible sale, and what GD-related costs a buyer might be looking at to keep the website going. Based on my understanding from having talked with Shane (but I've been wrong before), a buyer could keep the domain name active by paying GD $22-$32/yr; if the buyer wanted GD to host the website that would cost, maybe, $200/yr. As for other website expenses, I doubt that Elmer incurs much (I think he's pretty computer savvy). As for revenue (e.g., advertising and/or member fees/contributions), I don't have a handle on that at this time; however, I suspect Elmer has not "worked" that very aggressively.

Update # 3: Probably doesn't matter, but maybe GoDaddy does not host this website; maybe Elmer does, and contracts with a "server."

Last edited:
The out-of-control spammers (or whatever else you want to call 'em) and the exodus of many former legitimate posters would likely cause Wilbur a ton of sadness if he were still around—but, if he was the aforementioned issues probably would not exist. Hopefully, someone will take over this site and help get it back to where it was a few years ago.

Guys,

I would very much like to buy this site and try my damnest to fix it.

If Elmer would sell for a reasonable price, I would be all in.

Hunter, if you can get the price down to something reasonable, please do. We have something here worth saving.

Sharing all we have learned, and the mistakes we have made, in Benchrest can benefit those that come behind us. But only if it is documented in a clear, accurate way. Without all the bots, scammers, and other distractions that drive so many away.

There are other sites that share our same interest but there is only one Benchrest.com.

TKH

Guys,

I would very much like to buy this site and try my damnest to fix it.

If Elmer would sell for a reasonable price, I would be all in.

Hunter, if you can get the price down to something reasonable, please do. We have something here worth saving.

... Without all the bots, scammers, and other distractions that drive so many away.
Tony, thanks for your interest in trying to "fix" this site. As for me "get[ting] the price down to something reasonable," my suggestion is to make an offer, and if it gets rejected make another offer.

BTW, as for "other distractions that drive so many away," it's easy for me to believe that similar distractions exist where ever they've gone.

Tony, thanks for your interest in trying to "fix" this site. As for me "get[ting] the price down to something reasonable," my suggestion is to make an offer, and if it gets rejected make another offer.

BTW, as for "other distractions that drive so many away," it's easy for me to believe that similar distractions exist where ever they've gone.
If I make an offer, are you in a position to accept it and deliver some sort of documents to transfer the site?

TKH

If I make an offer, are you in a position to accept it and deliver some sort of documents to transfer the site?

TKH

Tony, to answer your question, "No." I'm only in a position to pass an offer along to Elmer for his consideration; as for documents, I probably will not accept that responsibility, but may be willing to help both sides get what's needed in that regard.

Thanks a bunch for your interest to date, and I hope the website continues.

One possibility would be for Paul at Accurate Shooter to dovetail Benchrest.com under his umbrella with a seperate section under the Forum tabs. Everything else is in place so there'd be minimal 'start up' lag or time demands versus a stand alone site.
No please GOD dont put this place under that site... That site is FULL of glitches and my computer has all SORTS of problems with it, not to mention their vetting process is so unnecessarily intrusive.

No please GOD dont put this place under that site... That site is FULL of glitches and my computer has all SORTS of problems with it, not to mention their vetting process is so unnecessarily intrusive.
Pretty much disagree. I did have some computer issues right after I got a 'new and improved' laptop, replacing the old one that was 10yrs old! With different security programs on the new computer, Accurate Shooter started bouncing me with an 'IP address banned' message and I couldn't do anything until the next day, usually. I sent a PM to the Forum Boss and he explained everything. He said my VPN (which I didn't have on the old computer) was constantly changing IP addresses and several were known IP addresses that scammers and spammers had used and AS had red flags on them and would reject them. He advised not having VPN on when visiting the site and all would work fine. He was correct, no more issues.

Their 'vetting process' is there to protect their members from all the cyber crap and theft that has been happening there, and here, and Rimfire Central, etc, etc, etc. IMO, they do more there to keep the site clean of the crap than some of the others. Just look at what is going here! If you find their process "intrusive", I got some news for you, it will become more of the norm at other places as the cyber hackers/spammers/scammers never quit and are quite invasive. Vetting who, and when, members of a forum can enjoy certain privileges is, or should, become more prevalent in the future.

BTW: If Tony takes over, he will have my full support, even if more stringent security 'vetting' has to happen. Something needs to happen, too much information for several disciplines to lose it all.

Scott

Anyone considering buying this site should confirm how much of the older information/posts are available.

I found when searching for older posts here, the posts older than about a year cannot be found.

Last edited:
Back