Action screw torque setting question

I have a varmint rifle (Ruger 77V tang safety) that I had rebarreled by Dwight Scott and piller bedded by Tom Meredith at TM Stockworks. The stock is the original wood that was devcon piller bedded by Tom. Ruger suggested torqueing the front angle action screw to 95 inch-pounds and the rear tang screw to 60. I think these are unnecessary and just ridiculous amounts of torque. What would you recommend for accuracy purposes.

for your rifle it may be true, but for competition rifles, repeatability is the clue, and that includes known torque
It wasn't a question about repeatability. That should be noted after the torque setting produces the best groups. The question was about initial settings. By the way, Tom Meredith has probably bedded more bench rest rifles than you have ever even seen including all the rifles for Tony Boyer, Dwight Scott and many, many others.

It wasn't a question about repeatability. That should be noted after the torque setting produces the best groups. The question was about initial settings. By the way, Tom Meredith has probably bedded more bench rest rifles than you have ever even seen including all the rifles for Tony Boyer, Dwight Scott and many, many others.
well to be clear, that aint what you asked, what you said was " What would you recommend for accuracy purposes."
bedding rifles has little to do with competition shooting and winning. he maybe good, but i did not see his name in the hall of fame points. mine is.

Then wouldn't you have to use a torque wrench for repeatability after finding the torque value that gives you the best accuracy? I don't know anyone that does not use a torque wrench when reinstalling a barreled action in the stock.

Back