22 Cleaning and Changing ammo

STBE Harris

I haven't shot 22's from/for bench rest before and I am wondering how often you clean a 22 to maintain accuracy and be efficient about maximum number of times cleaned. Also what brushes do you use? There are nylon, copper, phosphore bronze etc. What solvent? Also what do you do when you change ammo brands and even lots? Clean or not? I was catching myself cleaning like I do my bench guns after every 15-20 rounds, or after changing ammo type and using Shooters Choice instead of my usual Butches and a nylon brush on a 17 cal rod. Thanks in advance looking forward to hearing your opinions. STBE

Cleaning

STBE,
If you do a search you will find many posts on the subject. There are as many opinions as there are shooters, plus a few more.

Mark

STBE,

There are many opinions on this, but this is what I do. I clean mine after each target in competition or after 50 rounds in practice. I first push 2 small wet patches through to remove any primer residue. Then I scrub the chamber area with a wet bronze brush to remove the combustion ring. Then I push 3-5 large wet patches through until the last one comes out clean. I use Boretech Rimfire Blend. I have seen alot of shooters use a mixture of Kroil and Shooters Choice, but I like the Boretech. When testing ammo, I do clean if I change brands of ammo but I do not clean if I just change lots.

I hope this helps,
Dan Killough
www.killoughshootingsports.com

Back