What's become of "alinwa"?

This is for you Mark old buddy........ since't you was there when she was just a block of wood.....

Ended up clear-coating 'er me'self :)

She'll shoot the Hinges off the Doors of Hell

(sorry for the pic, took it about ten minutes ago with me' phone.....)

LOL
al

rwb biggun.jpg

There you are Al. I've been wondering the same thing. :eek: Now I understand. You've been spending your time building rifles and shooting. :cool:

I, for one, have missed your posts here on BR Central. Hope you will join us more often. I do understand though; posting takes time that could otherwise be spent in the shop or on the range.

How 'bout some particulars on that beautiful rifle?

Later

Gene Beggs

There you are Al. I've been wondering the same thing. :eek: Now I understand. You've been spending your time building rifles and shooting. :cool:

I, for one, have missed your posts here on BR Central. Hope you will join us more often. I do understand though; posting takes time that could otherwise be spent in the shop or on the range.

How 'bout some particulars on that beautiful rifle?

Later

Gene Beggs

That setup's the second of 4 300WSM reamers, this iteration is a short-neck built from a Redding die and is too tight. I now use this reamer for a resize reamer (I bought a kiln) I've gone up a couple thou in diameter and am going even bigger with my latest 'secret un-named throat' setup. That shiney old barrel is kinda' on there just for looks because I'm keeping the rifle up in my game room on a shelf under the hushbox. Ran outta' room in the shop. It's just too blasted heavy and awkward to move around!

The base is cobbled together from a setup that Pappas sent me (I hope he's not too scandalized with what I've done with it ;) ) It's still very much a prototype...... It's a first gen Farley. Most of my shooting has been off bags, blocks and plates. It's mot picky.

It's a BAT 'M' dual-port with a roller and blankable ejector (pressure-pressure-pressure)

The entire support framework is steel, currently isolated from the barreled action altho it can go metal-to-metal with an adjustable standoff. The American Color stock started out as a Shehane Big Dawg, "obeche" so it's quite fragile but it's only a "skin" over the steel framework. The frame runs three ways thru all the wood, in fact the pistol grip covers an adjustable drag bolt such that I can adjust the tension on the rear tang. In essence the rear tang is connected to the lower steel rail which is 2" wide X 3/4" thick billet steel. It's kindofa terminator thang

It weighs 68lb as it sets with the big March, I just lifted 'er down and set 'er on the pool table for the pic. Punched holes in some truly delectable old books, probably cost me a hunnert dollars to take the pic..........

buggahh....

LOL
al

Al,
Unfortunately Mr James Pappas has left us. I miss visiting with him.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Seems like just yesterday visiting with him about his 22 stuff. Fascinating man and just brimming with "stuff to try"

The rest he sent me had never been used, a one-off design, but his IDEAS.....Fired me right up :)

RIP James Pappas

al

I miss you too Al. You make a fella think!

Sorry sdean but this gets to the root of my problem.......

I feel so strongly about this that I'll even take the other side, play "Devil's Advocate" as it were, in an attempt to MAKE PEOPLE THINK!!!

I don't care about "being right" I care about learning, the advancement of knowledge. I can't count the number of times this board has changed my worldview...I mean FLIPPED me on my head.....we've had some wondrously smart contributors through the years. I've eaten so much crow that I've had to wipe with a rake.......

CharlesE-Dennis-JimB-Stephen Perry-Henry Childs-Bill Calfee-------I could go on and on, left, BANNED, or chased off..........and some of the folks who've passed on, who used to ROCK THIS BOARD!!! are rolling in their graves.....I simply cannot imagine Skip Otto, Dan Hackett, Dr Frank L Murphy on the board today!! Steenking HAROLD VAUGHN used to come on here...... and his son, an engineer in his own right....who left because he was made unwelcome.

"made unwelcome"

Most of you here today have never even MET the people mentioned.

I mean, they let Mike back because he "promised to be good"...... gimme a freakin' BREAK!!!

Censorship?

BANNING????

Naahhhhh, I'm a Free Speech kinda' guy.

But this has been ruled as "BAD" and "divisive" and "hate-speak" in today's PC-controlled world. Sadly, the day of my forebears, the world I grew up in is disappearing......the way of the world today is NOT to MAKE PEOPLE THINK, but to tell people what to think.

You've got plenty of people here who'll tell you what to think.....and how to think....and how to play...and how to load/prep/fireform/shoot/build/compete/etc ad infinitum. Shoot, you've got people here who register under several names to better serve you!

Nope, I'm an abrasive old fossil

......"not suffering fools gladly" is best left to old pharts like Finn Aagaard and Elmer Keith. "Interesting sidelights in the panorama of history" but simply not useful in today's world. A world where even our Constitution is "a living document"

What really saddens me is the fact that this board WAS the last bastion of truth on the net re things gun-related. The last place to find people who'll question the status-quo.

THE ONLY.....

Now I send the new guys elsewhere. A new guy here, even if he wins something right out the gate get's vilified not back-slapped. The nasty old guard gets a pass, the new blood gets "told how it is" and run down. I MET those guys at matches, but they've been the minority in the past. Now they've found a place.

It's dead easy to find people who'll tell you what to think.......

Read it before it's erased..... the last three posts I've made have been deemed "inappropriate"

Look up "flame suit" and "flame war" to see what free speech brings.........

al-freespeechfossil-inwa

"flame suit on"

LOL!!!

Not really fair to Wilbur. He has bent over backwards and sacrificed a lot of his own funds just to keep this board going!!

BANNED?? Frank Murphy, Skip Otto and probably some of the others you mentioned have left the range.

Its obvious you were still monitoring or you would have not picked up this thread.

If you wanted to leave the forum, just leave. Don't blame your sour grapes on Mr. Harris!!

Having spent a number of years as a moderator here, I can say that virtually all of the non spam posts that I pulled were over the line because someone had made a personal attack on someone. It was never about differences of opinion. I think that some of the examples that you mentioned left for reasons other than being personally attacked. Some are dead, and some did not like the heat that they created when they said things that others disagreed strongly with. If one posts controversial things, I think that he should expect to be disagreed with, not attacked personally, but disagreed with by at least some who have had different experiences. Of course I completely agree that if an optional activity is unduly stressful, that stopping it is entirely rational. Take care.
Boyd

Al, some of the things you said in that post reminded me of why I don't like to spend much time on the forums any more. You never know how someone will take the things you post. Without the expressions we would have in face to face conversation or the tone of voice we would have in a phone conversation its hard to know how to take what we read sometimes.
I have went back and reread some of my posts and it was no where near what I thought it was when I posted it. I mean I posted and thought I just said what I meant then a year later read it and it was like daaaammn.... it sounded like I was beating the guy up on the internet. I felt bad for saying it!

I noticed you didn't have any threads going the last couple times I was on the board too and wondered what was up, glad you haven't left us.

Jerry, Boyd, Jay.... Thank You all.

Jerry, thank you. I'm not blaming Wilbur I'm blaming those folks who, often while sneaking around under different names, get their backs up.....get all bent out of shape such that Wilbur feels compelled to "do something." Our world currently revolves around "being inoffensive" which is utterly impossible! All someone has to do is scream "racist!" or "hate" or "mean" or "personal attack" and it all goes sideways.

Boyd, again, "attacked personally" is where we part ways...

Jay...... you said a mouthful :) Thank You. And I agree. BUT, any of us who have an opinion will sooner or later step over the nebulous boundary of personal feelings with someone. And the way we deal with this is that the hurt person says "HEY!" and the person who was "mean" says "WHOAHH! SORRY!" and there are hugs all-round and we move forward. 99.9% of the time the problem is one of misunderstanding.

Then there are those times when there is no misunderstanding, simply disagreement. I've had this with Jerry Sharrett. Jerry is a top-flight machinist who has strong opinions based on decades of performance. He strongly disagrees with the "Gordy Gritters Chambering Method." Now I've gone enough rounds with Jerry to feel solidly that he DOES UNDERSTAND the method, there's NO MISUNDERSTANDING, but he still disagrees. We still disagree. Jerry has repeatedly put me on his ignore list in the past because we DISAGREE.......

But see, to me, that's perfectly OK :)

I thoroughly enjoy Jerry's passion.

And his free dissemination of knowledge.

I would never put him on ignore because I might miss something.

And no, naming Jerry by name does not constitute a "personal attack" ..........

And then there are mean people. I've met a lot of people in this old world and can count on one hand the ones who're personally and repeatedly mean to others. Worse than that, and much more common are mean people who don't "attack" others, instead they do the passive/aggressive thing and constantly "take offense" at others. And gently snipe from the shadows given enough friendly backing. People like this get folks like MikeInCo or Bill Calfee "banned."

At least 7 of the people reading this thread, myself included have been moderators. It's a hard job. But moderators wouldn't have a job if people would just open up and talk.

And be themselves, honestly.

Problem is, when I'm honest (the only way I know how to be) I WILL OFFEND YOU sooner or later. If "offend you" is to disagree. I (and everyone else here) will at some point have different opinions than someone else.......oftentimes so different as to be opposite or exclusive of the other. And when two opinions are mutually exclusive then one person is most likely WRONG. An example of this would be Galileo Galilei and the Roman Catholic Church.

Galileo was not wrong,

nor was he mean.

But the church threw him out in the street.......

Like Galileo, I'm generally at odds with the masses.......

Problem is, when I'm honest (the only way I know how to be) I WILL OFFEND YOU sooner or later. If "offend you" is to disagree. I (and everyone else here) will at some point have different opinions than someone else.......oftentimes so different as to be opposite or exclusive of the other.

Al, I repeat this every time the opportunity comes up. Being offended is a decision, you decide to be offended.

Al,
Back up and take a look at this whole thread for a bit. It started out as a nice "where has Al been" and some how became something else. How do you think that happened?
Boyd

a classic example of what Al is talking about.
on the 4th of july , i put up a simple post telling people to go burn some powder and enjoy their 4th.
it got several side ways slams by a couple of people.
wilbur removed the offending posts....
but people kept it up, and finally he removed my post but left the thread.

it is still there..ever seen a thread with no opening post ??

negative sideways comments stirring up crapola

children at play, wasting our time

One comment to al then I'm out. As to me putting him on my Ignore list many times is grossly wrong. I only put him on one time and he is still on it. I had to click the "read post" to get into this rant. I should have stayed out..

I have the utmost respect for the Gunsmiths that frequent this board-knowing very little about the Art itself BUT the passion that each and every one puts into their work.

We are not suppose to talk Politics or Religion on these public board but to quote a radio commentator we have become " The United States of the Offended" Sooner or later someone someplace is gonna B offended by something U say or do.

If you do not like Joe Blows post or find it offensive DON'T read it

Nuff Said

Jim

Back