Shooting 8208XBR in the 257TED

hecksf

First I would like for folks to keep in mind that this is just one range session on one day and is in no way scientific.
Yesterday I was able to load up and fire some 8208 XBR in the 257TED cartridge during the ARC score match.

The weather was windy with speeds from 10 to 20 MPH with a temperature ranging from about 65 to 72 degrees. Humidity was about 35%.

I was shooting the Infamous 257TED cartridge using the BIB 88gr FB Bullet.
For those that do not know, this cartridge is similar to the 6.5 Grendel.
Normally I shoot the 88 gr bullet at about 2950 to 3050 with appropriate loads. I did not chronograph the loads I shot yesterday. The bullet speed isn't that important to me in BR only the results on paper.
Here is what I noticed.

1. XBR doesn't seem to meter any better than Hodgdon Bench Mark
2. XBR doesn't seem to shoot any better than HBM. My score was 250 10X, which is about 5 or 6 x's lower than my normal score. But it was very windy and I haven't shot in about 2 or 3 months.
3. XBR doesn't seem to shoot any worse than HBM.
4. XBR does need more powder than HBM. It appears that XBR is about .7 to 1.0 grains slower in this case than HBM.
5. XBR gave more recoil than the loads I normally use with HBM or H322.
6. XBR may be to slow for this bullet weight in this case during these teperature conditions.
7. XBR does appear to be a better choice for this cartridge than H4895 in these conditions.

My charge weights ranged from about 30 to 31.5 grains. There was enough room in the neck for about .5 grains more.
I didn't drive away from the range thinking 'man I gotta get more of that stuff'.
I really need to test it during the hottest days. During the hot days here in the Hill Country, or any day for that matter H322 is to fast for this cartridge and the 88 grain bullet, and I have to drop HBM about .5 grains so maybe XBR will do well on the hottest days. But maybe not.
I think XBR is possibly HBM with a different deterent coating.
My cartridge is about 1 grain smaller than the 25BR so if you shoot a 25BR or 6.5 Grendel with similar weight bullets you may have similar results.
Ted

Back