Railgun top for holding action/indexing/tune

HovisKM

NRA Life Member
Did anyone out there made a bolck or top for a powell/young railgun that will hold the action and allow for the barrel to be screwed in or out. There was a discussion on here about this to aid in indexing, load testing, etc. Anyone made any headway??

Hovis

Kevin

I said a while back that I could modify my Rail Gun top to do such a thing, but then all of the naysayers chimed in with the "what if's" and so much technicle mumbo jumbo, I just said to heck with it. Somebody smarter than me will have to tackle that one.........jackie

I said a while back that I could modify my Rail Gun top to do such a thing, but then all of the naysayers chimed in with the "what if's" and so much technicle mumbo jumbo, I just said to heck with it. Somebody smarter than me will have to tackle that one.........jackie

So why listen to them

Rail top

Hell it's been done for years ,successfully, Look at pix of some of Bill Halls setups or call Ed Shilen, His Hall rail had a DGA glued into the block that was attached to the spine of the rail. Shot good. Seems as thou I remember Rex Reneau having something similar.

B4 I quit I had a Sleeved 700 with the front 4" or so of the sleeve epoxied into a rail block.

Well,
I would like to have a dedicated top. I know serveral older rails had blocks setup to hold the action. I seen one at the supershoot for sale a few years ago but didn't look at it closely. I remember Dave Tooley telling me several were that way and he always had liked that type of set up. The Powell I have has a set of holes toward the back that looks like a block was installled at one time to hold the action.

I think I'll have a top made that will be simple. Milll the guides straight into the bottom of the top and design a block that will encompass most of the action.

Something here sounds to simple though.

Hovis

GarySinclair2.jpg

GarySinclair1.jpg

Here's a couple of photos of a Jay Young rail gun with what looks to be a Hall B action glued into a sleeve and the sleeve mounted in the block. Jerrell Mattingly took the photos and sent them to me to put on the rail gun page of my website. I think it's Gary Sinclair's rail. The barrel is floated and makes it easier to change barrels as it changed just like any varmint class benchrest rifle.

Back