Looking for Range Box

KingSnake

Guys:
I have a new shooter than has finally taken the plunge to shooting 100/200 yard benchrest. I'm helping him get a collection of tools and equipment necessary to travel and shoot some benchrest matches. Do any of you guys have an extra reloading box or know somebody that has stopped shooting that might have one that could be purchased? Another option would be somebody wanting to sell all their traveling stuff.

I use a Kennedy Machinist box myself , but it's actually a little small. If you have one , send me a picture of your box. I'll send Wilbur the price for an ad if we find something useable.

Range box

I have a very nice range box I bought from Allied Shooter's Accesseories that I would sell. I tried to send pics to the email address in your profile but it did not go through. If you're interested, email me at ryanharrison@sbcglobal.net and I'll send you a couple pictures. Ryan

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are looking for a truly first class box, you might look into these people. Their toolmaker's boxes have been handed down from father to son to grandson.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/

They have a number of designs that could fit your needs.

Last edited:
While a laborer is worthy of his hire and they should get that much for that box no question about it.
You can get boxes with a similar design for 100 not 1K. But again you do get what you pay for.
If you want a work of art go for the gerstner

I am in no way selling the Gerstner, but I thought it would be of value to see what designs are available and at the same time see what craftsmanship is all about. (I wish I could afford one).

Harbor Fight can in no way be compaired the the beautiful Gerstner Machininst tool box. Are either one suited for travel to and from the range? Maybe. But I prefer a steel Kennedy or Craftsman tool chest. Wood is much thicker than steel and you lose space adding up all the thicknesses of the wood for each drawer. Steel is simply a better application for a traveling tool chest. It's more durable too. The Gerstner, if you have to have one... is better left at home in your tool room or loading room. Too Bad they aren't Mahogany lined with Spanish Cedar... would make a great Cigar Humidor. Oh, and the cheap china imports no way can match up to real American Craftsmanship.

I have a custom made wooden range box that carries 2lbs Powder, powder measure, arbor press, dies, bullets, primers, primer tool, jags, patches, chemicals, brushes, MIC, calipers, bushings, chamber cleaning tools magnifying glass, reading glasses and a few other things.
I will try to post a picture of it.
ted

Looking for a Range Box

For the last 10 years I have been using a Kennedy tool box.
Works great but its just getting to heavy for me.

Went to a Sears 18"--2 drawer metal tool box-Ball bearing drawers--4 colors--Lockable
Less than $50 on sale.
Holds everything one needs to reload with.
Leave the Kennedy in the truck to hold all that stuff you use once a month and back up supplies

My back is much happier
CLP

Last edited:
After years of looking I finally found a plastic Range Box in a Gun Shop in Mt Dora, Fl that I glommed on to. It has three deep drawers with dividers and a nice deep top section which holds a lot plus the top and drawers lock with the handle. Tackle boxes are a pretty good choice as well. It is a good idea, I think, to keep the weight of the boxes down and have lots of small bins to keep things in.

I only load at the range when testing so I don't need all the stuff guys who load at the range all the time do.

OK
Here are those pictures. I am sure those of you with woodwork or cabinet building experience could do this.
It is made of 1/2 inch birch ply.box1.jpgbox2.jpg

I have the Gerstner Classic chest and base set, Way to nice to put inthe back of the truck, (WAS A ANNIVERSARY PRESENT FROM MY WIFE). I ended up buying a Kennedy machinist box that was in mint cond. off of E-Bay.

Range Boxes

Thanks so much for the response. I have updated my email so that it's working again.
Those Gestners are beautiful.

Nice job ted.
It would be my guess that the drawer faces were made from poplar?
What did you do to keep the drawers from opening when the box is closed?

THank you Vern.
I didn't actually make the box my self. I purchased it from another shooter.
The inside of the right half has a rabbit along the edge that holds pressure against the drawers.

I just went to E-Bay, and they have the stainless steel boxes for $129.00. Shipping is free. I use a plastic tool box I bought at Home Depot.

The problem with some boxes is that they are too big. One small enough to put on your bench and reload from is all one should need. I have a home made one my friend made years ago and it works really well. It hold the reloading tools has some small ddrawers and is pretty handy. The shelves pull out so you can mount your herrels on it . Its made from 1inch pine and louan paneling . a few rabbit joints and a few slots. It opens like an old victrola box , standing on edge. Its easy to build.
The rest of the supplys and equipment is in a rubbermaid box that i carry . It has all kinds of goodies in it for cleaning etc
different powders primers and the like are seperate. I put this under the bench , so when i need cleaner or other items they are there for a quick resupply. I know bob Demonstoy make range boxes for a reasonable price .

Back