How do I keep the group together?

10ring

In the attached picture are two groups that have four shots overlaying each other and a fifth shot that opens it up quite a bit. I'm thinking it is something I am doing but I don't know what. Please let me know what you think might have happened.

On the top target it was the 5th shot that dropped down and right. On the bottom target it was the 4th shot that dropped down. I'm shooting free recoil with a 6PPC bench gun.

On the same day most of my other 5-shot targets were a 'blob' of inter-connected bullet holes from 0.206" to 0.315" at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 20230620_121707.jpg
    20230620_121707.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 92
I would say your load a tad too warm. Drop your powder and few tenths and see if they come together. Keeping your ppc in tune is an art that few master. What powder ?

In the attached picture are two groups that have four shots overlaying each other and a fifth shot that opens it up quite a bit. I'm thinking it is something I am doing but I don't know what. Please let me know what you think might have happened.

On the top target it was the 5th shot that dropped down and right. On the bottom target it was the 4th shot that dropped down. I'm shooting free recoil with a 6PPC bench gun.

On the same day most of my other 5-shot targets were a 'blob' of inter-connected bullet holes from 0.206" to 0.315" at 100 yards.

The two targets are basically within the range of "most of [your] other 5-shot targets" shot that day, so those two targets don't appear to be an unusual occurrence. I'm very familiar with "4-and-1" groups; however, I don't know the answer to your question -- but, I suspect one or more of the following might be the cause:
  • an uncompensated-for change in the wind on one shot
  • a loose primer pocket
  • inconsistent neck tension
  • inconsistent trigger release

On a previous outing I had the Labradar set up recording velocities and shot this nice group in between 'blob' groups.

20230622_091220.jpg

The velocity on the five shots that made a bug hole span quite a range. This is why I think it is something I am doing different.

Dang! That 249 in your first pics sure is a heart breaker

You may be getting on the trigger a little hard on your last shot you could try holding half a bullet up on 5th shot if u have a 4 shot zero going

On occasions when they are just blobs it may just need a little more powder

Try 28.2 grs with that bullet. Make sure your case necks are all the same and perfect.
For what it is worth. Depending on how many cases you have in play at a given time (5-10-15) all of the same lot, weight, case length, neck thickness, and everything else. Place a sharpie mark on the base of the case that did not perform as well as you would have liked. Put it in a special container. See if removing the errant case helps the next group (5). Also write down the date and temperature. Keep notes along with your fine chrono notes.

Try 28.2 grs with that bullet. Make sure your case necks are all the same and perfect.
For what it is worth. Depending on how many cases you have in play at a given time (5-10-15) all of the same lot, weight, case length, neck thickness, and everything else. Place a sharpie mark on the base of the case that did not perform as well as you would have liked. Put it in a special container. See if removing the errant case helps the next group (5). Also write down the date and temperature. Keep notes along with your fine chrono notes.
....... and do all that during a match?

In this picture it is the blue arrow on the masking tape.

(I had to trim the picture to a minimum so that I could attach it)

Attachments

• 20230725_204526.jpg
    20230725_204526.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 27
That balance point, combined with the low butt angle on the stock, may be unloading the rear bag in recoil. It will be particularly noticeable if you shoot free recoil or with a minimal hold on the gun. That can give you the type of groups you're seeing.

Beautiful rig! :cool: -Al

Thanks for your thoughts and complement @Al Nyhus. I bought it off a local guy who put BR on hold. He has other rifles and equipment if/when the desire comes back.

In this picture is the weight that is in the back end. Its 5 oz. Do you know who makes weights like this that I could add to this one? The current rifle weight is 10 lb.

Attachments

• 20230716_160526.jpg
    20230716_160526.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 12
PMA makes a weight system like that. Check and see how long a weight you can use in the stock and what dimension the O.D. of the weight can be. There are alternatives materials for weight than can help you. Adding 7-8 oz. to the butt would be like magic for gun handling. ;) -Al

P.S. There is a thread on here about weights for a McMillan Edge than might help.

Back