Bullet sorting

start with custom bullets..less variation.
i do weight first tho some claim it is not an issue.
next( we are waiting for someone else to jump in)

factory or custom?
custom made bullets don't require sorting
factory made bullets there are several options
Base to ogive is probably all that's needed. You're looking for the wild ones. Even then the slight difference in BC doesn't show up on the target at 600 yds. The math says it should at 1,000 yds but so much gets lost in the noise.
Meplat shape, uniformity, will affect BC more than minor length differences.
Either a lot of bullets shoots well or it doesn't.

I sort my factory bullets using a Bob Green comparator, which qualifies the ogive radius (measuring the distance between a datum point on the ogive and where the seater stem makes contact on the nose). And sometimes I will follow this with sorting by overall length. I don't know of a way of sorting by meplat diameter or shape.

Like chaotic, I use Bob Greens tool sorting on the 107 SMK I shoot in my 6BRX. This year, after I sort with that I then resort those groups with base to ogive. Since doing this I have gotten more consistent small groups as range increases. For a big match I will then sort for weight but the current lot I am in is very good for production bullets. The better shooters I know even sort their custom bullets. It only takes 1 turd.

Like chaotic, I use Bob Greens tool sorting on the 107 SMK I shoot in my 6BRX. This year, after I sort with that I then resort those groups with base to ogive. Since doing this I have gotten more consistent small groups as range increases. For a big match I will then sort for weight but the current lot I am in is very good for production bullets. The better shooters I know even sort their custom bullets. It only takes 1 turd.
IMHO
there is three tiers in play
sie 107 mk
berger
and custom like barts and vapor trial
again for short range ( 600 and less, bergers do not require sorting)

I got tired of ugly lots of Bergers switched to SMK and have never looked back. For short range 100 and 200 I don't sort every bullet. I check a lot then just shoot them, or call the maker.

IMHO
there is three tiers in play
sie 107 mk
berger
and custom like barts and vapor trial
again for short range ( 600 and less, bergers do not require sorting)
Explain that theory to all those shooting your top two plus Bergers that I consistently year later year beat. But hey live in your fantasy world, it's a free country.

Explain that theory to all those shooting your top two plus Bergers that I consistently year later year beat. But hey live in your fantasy world, it's a free country.
well list the events , the distance and the format, and who you beat

well list the events , the distance and the format, and who you beat
I think you need to get out of your 4th grade mind set. Obviously only your opinion counts. I don't need or want your approval . But in the list you want are National winners and record holders. Like a child you feel the need to lash out against anyone who does not say, ' Yes little Johnny, your right.' Have a nice day.

I think you need to get out of your 4th grade mind set. Obviously only your opinion counts. I don't need or want your approval . But in the list you want are National winners and record holders. Like a child you feel the need to lash out against anyone who does not say, ' Yes little Johnny, your right.' Have a nice day.
and again you did not answer the question, so you must be in third grade.
you claim national LONG RANGE BENCREST WINS with the sie 107.
put up...mine in listed in heavy gun 2 years ago vapor trail 204 and in 2015 in light gun barts 105,

this is what happens when a poster cannot defend their satements....THEY ATTACK OTHER POSTERS.
WE CALL THEM BULLIES TODAY

Your post come right out of the Demonrats play book.Attack others using the tactics you accuse them of. Guys like you, thankfully there are not many, are bad for the sport. You have had some sucess . Good for you. Only what you do works , you know it all. I was on another forum recently and a guy said he gave up the thought of bench rest shooting because he ran into a guy who sounds much like your attitude. By the way, your reading comprehension is lacking. I am curious, when does your book and movie come out. I am sure your popularity will bring both. Your voice sounds like your nearing the breaking point Calm down, it's only a game.

Back