Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Rods

Cleaning Rods

I am at the point that I m going to buy two new 44" cleaning rods and would like a little input from other shooters. I have a Lucas Bore Guide and I don't know whether to purchase a Dewey Coated Cleaning Rod or a Dewey Stainless Steel Cleaning Rod.

What are your feelings on which one I should buy, or maybe you have a better suggestion..

Thanks..

Dave

Cleaning Rods

You have to contact Mr Phillips at Ivy Rods They are the best. He will help you get the best rod for what you are working with.
    denny@ivyrods.com

Dave: I second rdh5525. Fred J

I'm gonna be third here, but Ivy rods are without peer. I have several Dewey rods, but always use the Ivy. bob

Another vote for Ivy

But, if your mind is made up with Dewey, definitely the SS model.

Ivy for me as well.

cleaning rods

where to buy NOW 35+ rockwell stainless rod non coated

Get a coated Dewey and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    where to buy NOW 35+ rockwell stainless rod non coated
    Not cheap but best you can get are the ones Stiller made.....uncoated, hard, melonited, check KSS. Even come in a carry tube.

Dewey and IVY - I have both and have Deweys in coated and uncoated. Can't really tell a difference between any of them. Also have about 7 Lucas rod guides and either rod works well. Don't know what caliber you are looking for, but Dewey at least has two different rods for .22, one for rim fire and one for CF (.222 vs. .223/.224)

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 03-11-2021 at 04:58 PM.

cleaning rods

Does anyone use Montana Extreme cleaning rod?

Pro Shot Cleaning Rods

I prefer the Pro Shot polished stainless steel cleaning rods over the one Ivy rod I own. They are a little thicker in diameter and not as flimsy when starting a snug patch into the chamber area with the 42" rods. I own five Pro Shot rods and (3 - 42"/ 1 - 36" / 1 - 12") keep one in each of my RFBR rifle cases. They are reasonably priced, American made and the handles are small enough to glide past the stock without bumping it. The Killough (KSS) bore guides work well with the large inserts ... however, I make my own.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1255665557
    Last edited by center22; 03-11-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Cleaning Rods

My choice has become a 5mm-39" Carbon Fiber Rod by Breakthrough Clean Technologies. www.breakthroughclean.com
    I also use their 5mm-12" pistol rod to clean the chamber. Both are useable for .22 thru .50 Cal weapons and use 8-32 threaded attachments. Reasonably priced also.

Quote Originally Posted by center22 View Post
    I prefer the Pro Shot polished stainless steel cleaning rods over the one Ivy rod I own. They are a little thicker in diameter and not as flimsy when starting a snug patch into the chamber area with the 42" rods. I own five Pro Shot rods and (3 - 42"/ 1 - 36" / 1 - 12") keep one in each of my RFBR rifle cases. They are reasonably priced, American made and the handles are small enough to glide past the stock without bumping it. The Killough (KSS) bore guides work well with the large inserts ... however, I make my own.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1255665557
    Agree and we have never had a problem getting one.
    Todd

Those posting here have apparently never had the enjoyment of using one of the late Bill Myers rods. There were none better, and I dare say still are none better. If you find one for sale buy it at any price. Then when you are old and grey you can sell it and at least get your money back.

Bill Calfee even did a doodle of the Myers rod for Bills funeral. High praise? bob
    Last edited by bob finger; 03-11-2021 at 03:12 PM.